Opinions on Trustfire SST-50/1300 lumen light

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy EnduringEagle,
I don't have any direct experience with that particular light, so I can only relate my experience of following threads similar to this over the past 5 years here on CPF.

First of all, that light requires the use of 2 lithium-ion 18650 rechargeable batteries, which in itself can present some potential problems. Used one a time, lithium-ion cells require care and monitoring, but when used in multiples EXTREME care has to be taken that both cells are charged to a very close final voltage. If they are out-of-balance, big problems (venting with flames, explosions, etc) become even more possible.

Unless you feel quite confident that you understand the potential problems associated with multiple lithium-ion cell use, and how to avoid those problems, I'd highly recommend staying away from lights that use more than one cell of that type.

Second, these types of lights are often made using less expensive components and assembled with less quality control, and are therefore prone to experiencing more problems with switches, drivers, bad connections, etc.

That doesn't mean that you can't find bargins, but it's important to go in with your eyes open.

From what I've read, many CPF members who are looking for an inexpensive and bright light, will opt for a Solarforce host, and then buy suitable drop-ins for it.

You are on the right track by asking for input. Do a bit more research here on CPF before spending your hard earned money, and I'll bet you can find a better alternative to that light.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
Howdy EnduringEagle,
I don't have any direct experience with that particular light, so I can only relate my experience of following threads similar to this over the past 5 years here on CPF.

First of all, that light requires the use of 2 lithium-ion 18650 rechargeable batteries, which in itself can present some potential problems. Used one a time, lithium-ion cells require care and monitoring, but when used in multiples EXTREME care has to be taken that both cells are charged to a very close final voltage. If they are out-of-balance, big problems (venting with flames, explosions, etc) become even more possible.

Unless you feel quite confident that you understand the potential problems associated with multiple lithium-ion cell use, and how to avoid those problems, I'd highly recommend staying away from lights that use more than one cell of that type.

Second, these types of lights are often made using less expensive components and assembled with less quality control, and are therefore prone to experiencing more problems with switches, drivers, bad connections, etc.

That doesn't mean that you can't find bargins, but it's important to go in with your eyes open.

From what I've read, many CPF members who are looking for an inexpensive and bright light, will opt for a Solarforce host, and then buy suitable drop-ins for it.

You are on the right track by asking for input. Do a bit more research here on CPF before spending your hard earned money, and I'll bet you can find a better alternative to that light.

Thank you Derek. This is EXACTLY the guidance I was looking for. Many thanks..