Simple L1 mod: 1W HD & Fraen LP

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I don't recall seeing this combo mentioned but forgive me if I missed the post. I received one of these new Fraen LP optics and initially tried it on a PM6 with HD to see what the beam was about. I then decided to use it with a L1 that has been sitting in a drawer. With the L1 still hosting the bat wing LED. I could see no real difference when comparing this to a stock KL1 in terms of beam pattern and light intensity map.

I replaced the LD with a R2K HD and yes, there is a major difference; one that many of you know. However, I was interested in using the L1 as host because the low level of light is very interesting now using the HD and LP combo. I will know more tonight but I think that this might be a better all around package now.

- Don

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I tried one cut down for a CR2, and not that impressive. But then, I haven't had time to wring it out. Hope they work, caus they're a lot easier to turn than the -05s.

Charlie, Did you ever get the one I sent?

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well since Larry is admitting to sending these out, I wouldn't have had the pleasure of trying out this optic if hadn't been for the kind graces of Larry. Thanks Larry! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's dark now and I must say that I really like how this optic and a 1W HD work in the L1.

- Don

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Don,

I got a lot better than I gave!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Charlie hadn't gotten his, and even though he got his hands on *some,* I'd like to know it at least got there. The Plano-convex from Edmond is proving interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like in particular how the beam widens out at a distance. It really makes lighting an area up at 20-30 yards very effective. The lack of sidespill may be a negative for some but I find that if I want to look at something at that distance, I don't want my iris to adjust to the sidespill light close in. The PM6 reflector has a very tight beam but the sidespill limits its usefulness under certain circumstances such as mentioned. After my 3 mile trek tonight, of which a mile is in a practically pitch black area, thumbs up goes to the Fraen LP. Oh yea, got my Fraen from Larry.

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
Larry,

Does "not that impressive" mean the cut-down Fraen LP doesn't throw as far as its NX-05 counterpart? I would love to try out a cut-down Fraen LP is the Firefly.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Larry! I did get it, Thanks! Thought I e-mailed you (or was it PM?), but I must have mixed things up and I do apologize.

Thanks again Larry, you da man!

And I ditto CM's comments. Up close you mistakenly surmise that the Frean Low Profile produces all spot and no flood, but a quick check of the beam when shone up into the pitch black (and somewhat "dirty" from pollen and dust, etc.) air reveals the beam to be obviously and very consistently conical in shape, meaning a big solid hotspot at distance, and not some washed out sidespill!