My picks.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
Over 30something flashlights later, I realized I had to be more selective. I'd stuck to the smaller, edc, form and function. None of my flashlights take more than 2 batteries. Period. When the SF E1B Backup came out (lo these many years ago), I started to realize my personal grail.
Small, edc size, one battery flashlights. Something you'll have on you. Period.
There is only one exception. The Malkoff M31/VME head with 2xAA battery compartment twisty. I live in hurricane alley. Using this initially with 2x Energizer lithium primaries and backup 2x alkaline batteries, I can safely have light even when having to change batteries while soaking wet. BOB light.
Because of Surefire's initial influence on me (my flashlight thing began with incan E2e lo these many years ago), I found myself using the CR123A waaay more than my AAA lights. (4sevens 1xAAA and 2xAAA, Fenix LD01's, LD05) I rEALLy appreciate the brightness factor.
Throw vs. flood? I prefer flood.
Twisty or Clicky?...
I like 'em both. Twisties can be used substantially like clickies by "forefinger and thumb on head...and PUSH with the palm" method. From this hold you can turn bezel to activate light properly also. This is simply great. It's all underhand. Veerryy discrete.
Clickies require an overhand hold. Thumb toward base, pinky toward the bright end. Now IF I DO NOT want to lose hold of the light...I can't think of a better hold.
So. My picks. None are first pick. They all are.
SF T1A Titan. The CR123A model.
Muyshondt Ti Nautilus. (I'd actually prefer the aluminum version for SHTF but this baby...Oh boy is it a keeper!)
Malkoff M31/VME head/1xCR123A primary battery body.
SF E1B battery compartment (just for the pocketclip mind you!) and the VME head/M31 dropin combo. :naughty:

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the picks, and your reasoning behind them. It's always interesting to see how somebody else approaches this flashlight thing.