Need Help. Maratac AA Won't Turn Off

556man

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I have a Maratac AA in stainless that won't turn off even when I loosen the head. It's on low when I screw the head in and when it's all the way in it goes to medium. When I loosen the head it goes again to low. I cleaned the threads and + button on the head with a pencil eraser and that didn't help. Could this be a driver problem?

Thank you for help in advance.

556man

choombak

Enlightened
You can test using an external setup - head, a thin wire, and a battery. Complete the circuit, disconnect, complete, disc, and do it one more time - the light should cycle through modes if done quick enough. If this works fine, then the driver is okay. You may then require some more cleaning on the threads using a q-tip, alcohol, tissue papers, and ensure no trace of any oxide is left on the threads. Do let us know what you find out.

Bolek

Enlightened
Try to put a tape around the negative end of the batterie. It can be a short through the batterie body

556man

Newly Enlightened
Thank you choombak, Bolek and ragweed for the tips. I did all those test and finally caught the problem. On the treads closest to the driver on the head I found a very small copper shaving "probably from the driver when it was installed in the factory". That shaving was making contact between the driver contact and the head body. It was like a small copper hair. Very hard to see. Saw it when I used a magnifying glass. Glad it's working again.

Thanks again,
556man

ragweed

Enlightened
Wow...Glad to hear you found the problem! A small copper sliver... I learn something new here every day.