advice on a pocket light

grumble69

Newly Enlightened
I'm in need of a pocket light (4.5" or less) that casts a somewhat bright & wide beam on the ground in front of me when I'm walking. The goal here is to spot snakes as I walk to my workshop at night. It doesn't need to look 20' into the woods or anything like that.

Right now, I've got a cheap freebie pocket light that "turns every root into a possible snake". I've got better, bigger, brighter flashlights of course, but I'm needing something that I can put in my pocket and forget about.

CSSA

Newly Enlightened
There are many flashlights that will meet your stated needs and, I suspect you will get as many suggestions. My personal choices would be any one of the 4 Sevens Quark flashlights or a JetBeam RT-0. You won't need full power from any of them, but the capacity is there if you want to identify something a bit further off.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC51 gives off a bright 200 lumen flood beam.
The Jetbeam RRT-0 has more of a tight spot, but still a great light

Mdinana

Enlightened
Honestly, aside from the length, a regular Minimag would do fine. I camped for years w/o a problem from it.

Or, if you're digging something more high speed, the Novatac Storm is at discount priced on Amazon, less than $30. Pretty good/even spread.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, grumble. I'll go along with FlashKat's suggestion to check out the Zebralight SC51, but there really are many other great lights with the size and power you need. Check out some of the vendors (4Sevens and Going Gear are two good ones) and if you see something interesting you'll likely find plenty of info about them here. There are even quite a few single AAA lights that will do the job. Good luck.

Geoff

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in need of a pocket light (4.5" or less) that casts a somewhat bright & wide beam on the ground in front of me when I'm walking. The goal here is to spot snakes as I walk to my workshop at night. It doesn't need to look 20' into the woods or anything like that.

Right now, I've got a cheap freebie pocket light that "turns every root into a possible snake". I've got better, bigger, brighter flashlights of course, but I'm needing something that I can put in my pocket and forget about.

If you can live with 4.8 in of length, then stop by Lowes or Home Depot and grab one of these for 30 bucks:
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Maglite_XL50_LED_Flashlight.php

Puts out a lot of light and has lots of throw for its size and price.

Throw means it'll light things up way down the path, far enough ahead so you can check things out carefully before proceeding.

Great for snake spotting.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark MiniX or Neutron 1A or 1C will suit your needs. They don't have much throw, but they are nice compact floodlights.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Realized I could do better than my earlier suggestion of the Mag XL50, which was three-tenths inch over your limit.

Consider this new version Inova X1 instead:
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Inova_X1_LED_Flashlight.php

Available at Target.

Only 4 inches long and has momentary capability.

Cheaper than Mag XL50 too, at around 20 bucks.

Plenty bright for walking a path and should work fine for snake spotting.

ragweed

Enlightened
Fenix E05 works for me going to check the cattle in the barn & its not expensive.

aimxplode

Enlightened
I would recommend a Jetbeam RRT-0, which I currently use.

I would also recommend looking into a Lumapower Incendio V3+, which I'm looking to have as my next purchase.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
+1 Fenix E05. small, simple, beam is smooth and wide, will light up 10-20 feet of ground in front of you pretty good, and the price is right.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest the Streamlight Microstream - 20 or 25 lm depending on whether you get the original or the new version. It's a 1xAAA so will definitely be small enough to meet your requirements. I EDCd mine for several years until I lost it - it is somewhere in the house but hiding. At around $20 it is a great buy. This_Is_Nascar did a great review a couple of years ago that is worth reading.

gotuonpaper

Newly Enlightened
I personally like the Olight T25T, I gave ne as a gift and really like it and almost kept it for me. LOL

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
One of the new (XP-G) ITP A3s is a truly small light (1xAAA) that you won't notice in your pocket. On Hi it produces plenty of light to see in front of your feet and avoid those pesky snakes.

swan

Banned
get the jetbeam bc 10 , 4 inches long, less than 1 in thick, hi/lo, top build, lanyard orings and spare switch cover. Absolute snake spotter, $40.

Vesper

Enlightened
I second the zebra light in Neutral (W) White for better and easier way to identify tree root from snake.

Definitely get something in neutral, warm or high cri if you're going to be studying the ground for snakies. SC51w or similar would definitely be a great choice.

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
I really dig my 4Sevens Mini AA when I feed it the Titanium Innovations CRAA/CR14505 3.0 lithium cells.

menoceros

Newly Enlightened
Check one of the Romisen mods at Shiningbeams web site. They are great and very inexpensive.