Suggestions for mounting lights in vehicles

teesh

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for ideas on the best way to mount a light or lights in a vehicle. I don't want them bouncing around in the glove box or console. One vehicle is a full size truck and the other is a JEEP. Thinking of strapping one to the rollbar in the JEEP but looking for other ideas. And in the truck I'm just not sure where or how to mount one.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

adw75

Newly Enlightened
:thumbsup:

I would love to hear about mounting options also.

Quite a few years back I inherited what I believe was a flashlight holder, kinda neat actually. It would grab a light, say a Mag-Lite, and hold on well. Kinda like those broom holders, except this was spring-loaded. Two clamps about 4" apart. Seems I lost it though.... :shrug:

Alan

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
Kydex is cheap and easy to work with. Maybe a form fitted holder held down with a couple self-tapping screws or industrial velcro?

teesh

Newly Enlightened
The only thing I've thought of was using some heavy velcro to strap a light holster to the roll bar of the Jeep. Just seeing if anyone else has any experiences other than that that might work in a pickup truck.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep an older Inova T2 2xCR123a flashlight and nylon holster in my 4x4 (Toyota FJ Cruiser). The hand brake lever lies horizontal next to the driver seat and I used a plastic cable tie through the holster's belt loop to attach the holster and light to the hand brake lever.

That places the flashlight next to the driver's lap for easy access.

Xacto

Enlightened
No matter how you mount them, keep in mind that in case of an accident the light could become a projectile within your car, leading to injuries. The rollbar could be a bad place, depending on where you would mount the light.

I would consider some sort of flashlight holster with plastic cable ties replacing the belt in the belt loops.

Cheers
Thorsten