Got my Peak Logan QTC SS! Some thoughts.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Hi all. Friday I got a new Peak Logan QTC. I've wanted one of Peaks offerings for awhile, but never could decide what I wanted, until I was reading another thread and saw a suggestion for the Logan QTC, and watched a youtube vid by fellow CPF'r JWRitchie76. That pretty much sealed the deal for me! (BTW, I PM'd him and told him what a jerk he was for costing me more money, but he just laughed at me). Anyway, I wanted to post a couple thoughts, and maybe help others like me if they're on the fence about any of Peaks lights. I got this one in SS. I have some other lights in stainless, and even though they're heavy, I love the feel, looks, and lasting qualities that good SS imparts to a light. In that respect, the Logan doesn't disappoint. This baby feels like a solid billet of stainless steel! The machining, fit and finish, are just super. I'm extremely pleased at the manufacturing quality! This light also has an optic, which is really nice, but I'm thinkin' I probably would have preferred a nice aluminum reflector, probably OP or LOP, and a UCL with AR coatings. Like I'm saying, the optic on the Logan is top notch, but are they plastic? There's where my concern lies. Getting it all scratched up from pocket carry. Maybe I shouldn't be worried about it at all. Anyone who has had one for any length of time please chime in and tell me what you think. Now, cell type. The Logan QTC is very versatile in that it will take any 123 you got. Primaries, or RCR's, any chemistry. What I do find a little strange however, and slightly disappointing, is the behavior of the light with primaries, vs. RCR's. Anyone who watched JWRitchies video should remember how low the little Logan came on when the circuit is completed at first. Then a nice gradual ramping to high. Mine works exactly like that with RCR's, but if I stick a fresh primary in it, it doesn't have near the range in output levels. At it seems kinda opposite of what you'd think. With the higher voltage of the RCR's, my light will come on low enough to look right at the emitter with no problems. But with a primary, low is way too bright to even think of looking at the emitter. It ramps up to what looks like about the same high as with RCR's, but the real low just isn't there. With primaries, it's more like it comes on in a "medium" level, then ramps up. Soooo, I guess I'll keep it fed with RCR's, but I would have rather kept a primary in it. Anyone else with this light notice similar behavior, or is mine just a little funky? Bottom line: the Peak Logan QTC in SS, is one hell of a little EDC. EXTREMELY well made, and just oozes quality everywhere. It IS heavy though. Like I said, I don't mind that at all because it gives me the satisfaction of knowing this thing will last forever! This is most defintely not my last Peak purchase. :devil:

Last edited:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I could be of assistance Jeff! :devil: Maybe since I sold a couple with my video I can convince Peak to expedite my future neutral order? BTW have you tried backing it off about another quarter turn from off with the primary installed? I noticed with mine if you just unscrew the head until the light goes off, when you go to turn it back on it comes on at a higher level but if after you turn it off unscrew the head about another quarter turn and then it should come on in freaky super low mode. The only negative I have to say about mine so far is that the head gets tight when you ramp up all the way to max output but that could be the threads need to break in a bit too. Someone really needs to do a better video than mine please! :eek:

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review.

Also enjoyed your video JWRitchie76 - thanks for putting in the effort.

Suggestion for a further video: show the QTC material and how it fits into the light. Maybe add a bit of explanation of how it works by tightening down the head, since most people aren't familiar with QTC.

I've always been impressed with Peak, but have never owned one. Availability of QTC versions of Peak lights might inspire me to buy a Peak, or two.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Glad I could be of assistance Jeff! :devil: Maybe since I sold a couple with my video I can convince Peak to expedite my future neutral order? BTW have you tried backing it off about another quarter turn from off with the primary installed? I noticed with mine if you just unscrew the head until the light goes off, when you go to turn it back on it comes on at a higher level but if after you turn it off unscrew the head about another quarter turn and then it should come on in freaky super low mode. The only negative I have to say about mine so far is that the head gets tight when you ramp up all the way to max output but that could be the threads need to break in a bit too. Someone really needs to do a better video than mine please! :eek:
Thanks buddy for the suggestions! I did notice mine came pretty "dry" as thread lube goes. I gave it a thorough cleaning and applied some new Nyogel 779ZC to both the head threads, and the little tailcap plug. (to also aid is water resistance) Made a big difference in one hand operation. I'll definitely give the primary suggestion a good try. I hope Peak does help you with future purchases, since it's your vid they provide a link to on their website. One last question, do you know if the optic IS plastic? It's a really nice one, but I still think I would have preferred a textured reflector and UCL lens instead. Other than these few minor quibbles, I love this little tank!

Craig K

Enlightened
I got a Peak Logan from Oveready and I find it runs down the RCR batteries really really fast and it seems to get pretty warm with the RCR so I just use a primary in it, it seems to run a lot better on a primary.

Craig K

Enlightened
Anyone else notice the Peak Logan runs down rechargeable batteries really fast?

Craig K

Enlightened
Define really fast please.
My Peak Logan used up a fully charged AW RCR123 battery after just 12 minutes of running, I switched it on for 2 minutes at a time 6 times and on the last time it started flashing like strobe and then it turned itself off and the battery was flat.

12 minutes just seems really short for a fully charged AW RCR123 so I am just using a Surefire primary battery in it now and I seem to be getting a lot better runtime on the primary.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like Peak hit a home run with the QTC pills. I'm glad you really like your Logan mrlysle, thanks for the mini review. I've always hoped for a small light with Peak build quality and multiple levels, and the QTC is a great solution.

In all the different lights I've used them in, I've always found that RCR123's seem to deplete quickly compared to primaries [that's both 3.0v and 3.7v RCRs]. Some lights do run brighter in them, some don't. Some get warmer. Do you know the relative runtimes between the two battery types on medium level?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else notice the Peak Logan runs down rechargeable batteries really fast?

What Logan do you have one of the previous versions like a power level #8? If it is a QTC and you are running it super low I doubt it would be that quick to deplete a cell. I have my own Logan QTC coming tomorrow so I have high hopes for long runtimes on RCR Ultrafire 880 mAhs in this on super low mode.

Craig K

Enlightened
What Logan do you have one of the previous versions like a power level #8?

Yes my Logan is a previous version power level #8, but I still was a bit shocked at the such short runtime with the AW RCR battery.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does seem to be drawing down too fast. I believe these are virtually direct drive with a #8 power level, but I can't see them driving the LED at more than 1.5A. Do you have other RCR123s to compare?

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks buddy for the suggestions! I did notice mine came pretty "dry" as thread lube goes. I gave it a thorough cleaning and applied some new Nyogel 779ZC to both the head threads, and the little tailcap plug. (to also aid is water resistance) Made a big difference in one hand operation. I'll definitely give the primary suggestion a good try. I hope Peak does help you with future purchases, since it's your vid they provide a link to on their website. One last question, do you know if the optic IS plastic? It's a really nice one, but I still think I would have preferred a textured reflector and UCL lens instead. Other than these few minor quibbles, I love this little tank!

AFAIK the optic is a type of scratch resistant plastic, press fitted into the head. IMO it offers a great beam in real world use. Aren't most optics some type of plastic? Anyway good to hear your liking yours. Got a few more shots of mine after a good rain today.

002-7.jpg

005-6.jpg

dirtech

Enlightened
I want one but with a high cri xpg. Anyone modded one of these that has tips? I know I can get one made but don't want to wait that long.

Craig K

Enlightened
It does seem to be drawing down too fast. I believe these are virtually direct drive with a #8 power level, but I can't see them driving the LED at more than 1.5A. Do you have other RCR123s to compare?

I will do another runtime test with another RCR123 in my #8 power level Logan and I will see how it goes.

Craig K

Enlightened
Nice pictures JWRitchie.

I did another runtime test with another RCR and this time I got 24 minutes runtime out of my
#8 power level Logan.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks mrlysle, cause now your gonna make me spend more money!
I havent bought a peak in awhile, cause of my impatience. one of my orders had a problem and it took about 6 months to resolve that. Robin, and Peak were very helpful throughout the whole thing, but the waiting was killing me. its very understandable though, they seem very busy.... since it took a month to get my order.

but now seeing these QTC lights, i really want a few of their models... especially if they are willing to drop in some high CRI XP-Gs.

thanks

mrlysle

Enlightened
thanks mrlysle, cause now your gonna make me spend more money!
I havent bought a peak in awhile, cause of my impatience. one of my orders had a problem and it took about 6 months to resolve that. Robin, and Peak were very helpful throughout the whole thing, but the waiting was killing me. its very understandable though, they seem very busy.... since it took a month to get my order.

but now seeing these QTC lights, i really want a few of their models... especially if they are willing to drop in some high CRI XP-Gs.

thanks

Really! You gotta blame JWRitchie76! He's the culprit that started it all with his video! I'm just a poor, helpless victim, like you! :devil: