greetings CPF/looking for an EDC!/(tried to do my homework as best I could)

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF! I am really excited to get started in this wonderful forum after spending a long time lurking. I'm looking for a nice EDC as summer approaches, I stay out late, and I find myself more and more needing to light things up at night -- my keys, my path, my date :)sssh:).

I have spent a while digging through old threads and searching for posts but I thought I would open up my EDC needs to you guys as I continue my search. The specifications I'm looking for are:

1. Clicky. Not into twisties.
2. $50. I am a poor college student.
3. 1xAA or 1x123. This may be debatable. I don't have much experience with AAAs but I just imagine them not lasting as long. If someone has a great suggestion then I could easily be swayed. I'm a battery noob to be honest so you can convince me on things here.
4. Form factor. I know, I know, judge me for style over substance, but I really want something smooth and streamlined. I tend to have a lot going on in my pockets and things that are too bulky just gotta go. I don't like any crazy edges and things creating unsightly bulges in my pants. Knurling is fine (seems kind of hard to avoid it) but I really don't want to get much more intense than that.
5. High output in the 100 lumen area.
6. Flashy settings are not critical. Hi-low is fine with me, but I certainly wouldn't turn down a light that met my other needs just because it had strobe/sos.

I've done my fair share of digging through the fora, and found this awesome thread that went along with 90% of my requirements, but I just wanted to open it up too to see what else is out there.

Look - I'll be up front here, my perfect light for these purposes is a jetbeam E3S. It has, in my mind, a perfect, super-classy form factor, simplicity, good floody brightness (from what I could tell)...but it's too expensive.

I also love the Quark AA/123 but they're a little bit too expensive for me.

I've also considered getting a preon 1 [EDIT: I originally wrote preon 2 here, but I meant preon 1 as I prefer the single-cell] and installing the clicky switch that you can get through 4sevens, but I'm not crazy about the 1xAAA aspect of it. Any input into this light would be appreciated.

Thanks, guys, I look forward to hearing your input, and I'm glad to finally be part of the discussion!

Last edited:

sappyg

Enlightened
:welcome:

A Preon II would be a great EDC choice based on your likes. It has tons of lumins on high with a nice floody beam. Plus, you can order a Preon I body and use the clicky tail piece and have a super small clicky to cut down on the EDC bulk and clutter. Personally in the single cell sized Preon i prefer the twisty over the clicky.... It's too small to click easily while the twisty is more convenient in this sized light.
ITP and Maritac are worth a look as well if you could compromise on the clicky feature.
As things go for me my EDC lights keep getting smaller along with the batteries. An EDC light just means you carry it every day. Not so much that you will use it for an extended period of time every day. For this the AAA batteries are fine.

john-paul

Newly Enlightened
I really like my Preon 2's they come in several colors and like Sappy said you could get the preon 1 body and have the option for single cell flashlight. BTW the Preon 2 comes with the clicky, you don't need to purchase it separately.

2filthy3

Newly Enlightened
At the super budget end of EDC's (<$15) there are the 'Akoray K-109' and the 'UltraFire A1', both 123 powered, with cree xr-e emitters. The clip's can be removed from both of them.

I mention these two as you are a student on a budget.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Xeno E03 XM-L

Surprisingly good quality for $30, evidence is that the dealer can't keep them in stock for more than a couple of days. Med/Low/High modes are well spaced on Alkaline AAs or Eneloops (all modes are much brighter on Li-Ions - 490 Lumen High on a 14500!!!). I think that these are one of the best deals around for under $50.

Also, check out THIS THREAD from last week.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
also on the budget end, you might want to look up the Stainless Ultrafire C3 from Manafont with the steel tailcap ($20). stainless is a lot heavier than aluminum and might not be as comfortable in the pocket, but it holds up better especially if it's banging up against keys, and you did mention liking the E3S which is stainless. there are several versions of the C3 out there and quality can vary, but the all stainless one from Manafont seems to have a good rep. one down side is that it doesn't come with a clip. but it would probably go well with a hanging pocket clip.

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys! These look great and definitely outside the realm of what I'd been able to dig up on my own.

The preon II is nice, but is it too long? I am more into a one-cell deal for a little edc. I don't own it though, so if someone who does wanted to weigh in on how that fits in a pocket along with your standard cell phone, wallet, memo pad kind of setup, it'd be much appreciated.

Also, if this is in the wrong forum, my apologies, and the powers that be feel free to move it.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xeno E03 would be a great first light. I have a big collection and I'm still looking at the Xeno...

If you can stretch your budget a little, Zebra has some nice flashlights with more modes.

You could also try posting in the Budget light section.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look - I'll be up front here, my perfect light for these purposes is a jetbeam E3S. It has, in my mind, a perfect, super-classy form factor, simplicity, good floody brightness (from what I could tell)...but it's too expensive.

How about its aluminum cousin, BA10? It's on sale now at $39 with spare change for batteries.

Newly Enlightened
How about its aluminum cousin, BA10? It's on sale now at $39 with spare change for batteries.

That is a pretty little light! Definitely on the short list. Where is it on sale?

I like the Xeno, but it seems tough to get my hands on. I checked out the Ultrafire C3 and it sure is beautiful too. While browsing through that site the Ultrafire RL-113 caught my eye too, does anyone know anything about that light? There didn't seem to be much on the forum.

Last edited:

tolkaze

Enlightened
for $55, you can pick up a Nitecore D11.2

I am in love with this, maybe its just a fleeting thing because I'm new to piston drive lights, but its not dramatically knurled. Not the smallest single AA light, but I don't notice it at all. Ramping brightness and "hidden" flashy modes. Can also select momentary and lock out.

Check it out, lots of other good suggestions, but this is mine :)

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also recommend the Jetbeam PA01 or BA10 from http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/
Also there is a CPF discount.
That is a pretty little light! Definitely on the short list. Where is it on sale?

I like the Xeno, but it seems tough to get my hands on. I checked out the Ultrafire C3 and it sure is beautiful too. While browsing through that site the Ultrafire RL-113 caught my eye too, does anyone know anything about that light? There didn't seem to be much on the forum.

Tiresius

Enlightened
+1 on Xeno E03 XML. Those little buggers are have excellent quality for a small price to pay. I haven't gotten my hands on them because when they open up, they're immediately sold out. I had my eyes set on the NW version.

Why is it that I take vacations and road trips at the most inconvenient times?

It's true...The sellers can't seem to hold them for any longer than a day or two since they're sold out FAST.

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
The Xeno e03 is a really nice piece. Super floody though is that what you want?

I'd take a look at the LumaPower Incendio v3+ (cool and neutral tints) and also the Jetbeam BC10 or BA10, BC if you want 270 otf lumens.

Neither light has flashy modes, the Jetbeams have high and low.

The Incendio has 4 levels with memory and tactical lock. A bonus is the Incendio runs nicely with RCR if you ever want to go that route.

Welcome to the madness! :thumbsup:

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
lot of recommendations for the Xeno... but does anyone actually own one?

Yeah in neutral. Run on both 14500's and eneloops depends on my mood. With 14500 it's insane and gets hot quick. Not very practical except to "wow"

For the price I haven't seen a nicer made light. Then again, I'm new at all this so....

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Yeah in neutral. Run on both 14500's and eneloops depends on my mood. With 14500 it's insane and gets hot quick. Not very practical except to "wow"

For the price I haven't seen a nicer made light. Then again, I'm new at all this so....

nice.

Latest posts