General observations and reccomendations from a newbie

menoceros

Newly Enlightened
I lurked on the forum for several days trying to pick up as much info as I could before commiting myself to a purchase. Now I would like to give my first impressions of what I've discovered.

The forum is a wealth of knowledge. Do not neglect to search it for info you could use.

As a pilot, I was looking for a replacement for the "Element" LED light (purchased at Sam's) I have used for about 6 years. This light and it's replacement have been well discussed on the forum over the years. This light gets used every day for pre-flight inspections, in the early hours (5:00 AM) of the morning. Good light is a must to see various fluid levels and inside access panels.

I wound up purchasing a variety of lights from several manufacturers none of which cost more than $55. All purchases were made online, many from dealers mentioned in this forum.

So what can I say to the new buyer?
1) Don't let lumens determine your choice. The difference between different settings are sometimes very slight despite the numbers. Many times reflector shape and design will affect the actual perceived output.
2) No one manufacturer has a lock on this market. They all have something to offer.
3) If you need a single power light, that's what you should buy. Trying to change settings can be a real pain when you're in the middle of a job.
4) price is not always a sign of quality. If you're not in law enforcement or rescue work, maybe you don't need the $200 light.

I bought 12 lights with a total of 9 different types and models.Four were just emergency auto lights, 2 for each car. I bought from Fenix, ITP, Romisen, and Shining Beam. I like them all, some better than others. The Romisen RC-G2II R5 will probably be my work light. Very bright, single power, very small for a 1 AAA light. I was the most impressed with the ITP A3 EOS I bought for my wife as a keychain light. To get 105 lumens out of something that small is impressive. But I must say, the experience has shown me why you guys like your lights so much. While I may like and use one of these lights better than another, they're all fun and the technology has progressed so far in the past 5-6 years it's amazing.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Good points, menoceros. I've always felt there are plenty of excellent lights in the $50-$70 range that will easily do most jobs and not break down. With new stuff coming out almost weekly it just seems wasteful to only buy the best (or most expensive). Just my nature, I suppose.

Geoff

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
1 buy something simple to use (on/off light.. in common battery type.. just like romisen g2.
2 trust recommendations made by people whom have been around a while. the lights they recommend to you are likely popular for a reason.
3 there is no perfect light for every imaginable task. choose one for each role. some or best may do adequatly in many different tasks.
4 by picking a light per task/purpose you also end up choosing different user interfaces. and very soon you will know yourself which you prefer most.
5 any modern led today of any worth/quality will suprise you with its output. it will put your old incans in shame. size vs output is incredible.
6 dont go with the hype. think yourself. what do you need and want it to do. if in doubt. ask help from others.
7 think! do you really need it or just want it. first fill the need. learn what you like and dont like. then study more to make a wiser choice.
8 do you need it often enough or in the most harshest environments where the light MUST work. then buy the more expensive one. if not, reasonable priced ones are good enough for 90% of the people. (but for 70% of the people, they are already too good)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Romisen RC-G2II R5 will probably be my work light.

You're still in the very early stages of your flashaholism, the "I'll keep it cheap" phase. Wait until you get your hands on a Sunwayman V10A, or a Jetbeam E3S (both of which are 1xAA clicky lights that always come on to what output level you set them - they work as single mode lights, but have multiple modes at your option.)

Last edited:

menoceros

Newly Enlightened
You're still in the very early stages of your flashaholism, the "I'll keep it cheap" phase. Wait until you get your hands on a Sunwayman V10A, or a Jetbeam E3S (both of which are 1xAA clicky lights that always come on to what output level you set them - they work as single mode lights, but have multiple modes at your option.)
Don't misunderstand me. I really enjoy the other lights I bought, but the Romisen does exactly what I need it to do every morning. Plus its just a one mode clickie, no fooling trying to find the "right" setting, it's just on and bright. Two of the other lights I bought come on at the last setting they had when turned off so I understand what you mean about the other lights you mentioned. Another fact is I can buy 5 Romisens from ShiningBeam for the price of the Sunwayman. They would last a long time. Probably until I retire.
My wife already thinks I'm crazy because I replaced my old charger with a Maha C9000 charger and am replacing all my old high drain NiMh batteries with Low Drain new ones.

Last edited:

ryguy24000

Enlightened
one thing I have noticed since my Flashaholism started is "Brand Loyalty". Most flashaholics stay with certain brands and rarely venture outside.