Maglite XL50 thoughts and opinions

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off I want to strongly emphasize this point. My criticism of this light here is towards this particular model of flashlight here, NOT the manufacturer in particular. If the manufacturer was surefire, jetbeam, fenix, whatever, my feelings regarding this light would be the same regardless.

Anyway, note this is not a review or anything close, just a few words regarding this light and my experience with it. With so much talk of the XL100 and XL50 here since their release, and so many good things said about them, I felt compelled to purchase one from my local Home depot and put one through it's paces. Needless to say it was returned the following day. This light was a complete absolute letdown and in my most humble opinion, complete rubbish, espically considering its price of $30 US dollars and $40 for the XL100.

The first thing that struck me was how loose and sloppy the bezel was. So loose and sloppy that I actually would be concerned that it could actually fall right off under certain circumstances. The beam is only focused properly, if you could call it that, when the bezel is almost completely tightned. The "variable focus" of this light is absolutely worthless, as the beam is only in focus when the bezel is close to fully tightned, when any adjustments are made the beam goes completely out of focus, full of rings and artifacts. Why would the light tout the feature of an "adjustable focus" when anything other than a tight bezel creates an out of focus worthless beam? Maybe they felt the need to slap it on the advertising becuase adjustable focus has been a "unique" trait of maglite's over the years.

On to the battery carrier. I remember reading a post by another reliable, well respected member regarding the battery carrier. Apparently, according to them, there was a delay with the release of the XL100 due to the battery carrier. I don't remember the exact details. Although their performance has at times been questionable, I have always felt that maglite's build has been pretty decent when you factor in the price. With that said, this battery carrier is pretty embarrassing even when you consider the price of the light. The plastic is very cheap IMO, and that coupled with the metal contacts at the end makes it very underwelming. It gets the job done, but definetly not what I expect from a light at this price. It to me is reminiscent of something you might find in a $4.99 DX light. I have an LED LENSER from the same price range and it's 3AAA battery carrier is vastly superior to the XL50's.

This one I still cant seem to understand. Why do these guys still continue to use cheap plastic lenses? Isn't glass nearly the standard now? Even the cheapo lights below this price range are coming with glass lenses. Having a plastic lens really add's to the cheap feeling of this light, and I myself would be willing to pay the extra for the light to come with a glass lens, same with all other maglite models. I don't see how maglite can't upgrade their lights to glass lenses and still keep them in the price range their aiming for. Switching the lens out in the full size and mini mags are a piece of cake, not so for the XL50. As far as I know, one has to wiggle and pull on the reflector to try and take it out so a glass lens can be installed, and there is a big risk of damage that can be done to the reflector. Others have swapped theirs out sucessfully, however, after only a few attemps on the sample I had I didn't even attempt go any further, as the reflector was tightly in place and I didn't want to risk damaging it thus making a refund impossible.

I can't say too much negatively about the overall output of the light though. It has decent throw, tint was good on my sample, and output was what I would consider average for this type of battery configuration. But I believe that the negatives far outweigh any positives with the light.

Anyway, the overall response to this light has been very positive from owners and I imagine the XL50 and XL100 are being good sellers for Maglite. But in the light of so many glowing reviews out there, I felt compeled to write this to express my feelings towards this particular model. I just don't understand why so many have been impressed with this light, which is why I am expressing my feelings here today. IMHO, there are much better options out there in this price range to choose from.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
You got a bad one with a lose head. I will agree they should use glass lenses and that the focusing is worthless.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
With so much talk of the XL100 and XL50 here since their release, and so many good things said about them, I felt compelled to purchase one from my local Home depot and put one through it's paces.

really? the impression i've always gotten on CPF is that there are a few diehard Mag apologists who defend every Mag LED to the end, and a majority who think that Mag LED lights are pretty flawed, especially the 3xAAA kind. at least that's the impression i've always gotten.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off I want to strongly emphasize this point. My criticism of this light here is towards this particular model of flashlight here, NOT the manufacturer in particular...

Anyway, the overall response to this light has been very positive from owners and I imagine the XL50 and XL100 are being good sellers for Maglite. But in the light of so many glowing reviews out there, I felt compeled to write this to express my feelings towards this particular model. I just don't understand why so many have been impressed with this light, which is why I am expressing my feelings here today. IMHO, there are much better options out there in this price range to choose from.

Sorry to read about your bad experience with the XL50. The XL50 you got should never have left the factory, but nearly every manufacturer has the occasional screw up.

Your review begs the question: why did you return the XL50 to Home Depot, when you could have just as easily exchanged it for another sample?

I submit that if you didn't have a pre-existing animus against the manufacturer, then that is indeed what you would have done. Just out of curiosity if nothing else, to see if the next sample would be as poor as the first.

Fit and finish on my XL50 is pretty durn good. Threading is typical of Mags I've owned over the years - not what I'd call sloppy.

I agree that there are better lights available for 30 bucks, but those lights aren't available off the shelf at countless stores all across the USA.

Even so, I don't think the XL50 is all that bad a deal for 30 bucks.

Most people who have tried my XL50 out are impressed. At least two of those people were impressed enough to grab an XL50 for themselves at the local Lowes where I got mine.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not request an exchange for another light because there was nothing defective with the first light. Regarding the sloppy bezel, even if I exchaged it for a better sample, assuming there is one, that would not change any of the other shortcomings of the light.

My feelings towards maglite is abit complicated. I do feel that most of their products are a decent value for the price, and they are certainly miles above the typical junk that's sold in most stores. But my biggest complaint with them is their business practices (sue happy). So although it may be hard for someone to believe after reading my post, my feelings towards maglite had nothing to do with the way I feel about the XL50. I can assure you that if surefire was written across the side of the light my feelings would be the same.

SgtCuts

Newly Enlightened
I agree with ring I have no problems with my xl50 the head is tight but I also agree about the focusing. Now on to your choices I agree again with ring u shouldn't base your experience with a defective (yes it def was defective for the head part) unit if you truly had no previous experience with maglite and had one defective unit most people maybe no you but most would have tried at least one more whereas you had already decided the entire line of xl50 lights was not worthy of your time which is fine for you to decide just remember when Joe schmoes toilets makes 1 million toilets a year and a few are defective this is normal nothing can be perfect all the time.

Ever heard of the salem witch hunt just becuase one person is a which doesnt mean everyone is lol

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lets assume for a moment that the light was defective just because the bezel threads were a little sloppy and I returned it for one with better threads. Would that make all the other shortcomings go away? No it would not.

I appreciate everyones comments and opinions on this thread, but I feel you are putting a little too much emphasis on the sloppy threads of the bezel. If you read my post I am critical of many other things with the light, sloppy bezel is just one. The light overall, in my own personal opinion, is just a poor performer in nearly every catagory, period, and tightley cut bezel threads wouldn't change that any.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
My feelings towards maglite is abit complicated. I do feel that most of their products are a decent value for the price, and they are certainly miles above the typical junk that's sold in most stores. But my biggest complaint with them is their business practices (sue happy). So although it may be hard for someone to believe after reading my post, my feelings towards maglite had nothing to do with the way I feel about the XL50. I can assure you that if surefire was written across the side of the light my feelings would be the same.

Yeah, it is kind of hard to believe that your 'complicated' feelings toward Mag had nothing to do with your review of the XL50.

I can believe that you honestly don't think your 'complicated' feelings toward Mag had any undue influence on your review.

Readers of this thread can draw their own conclusions.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it is kind of hard to believe that your 'complicated' feelings toward Mag had nothing to do with your review of the XL50.

I can believe that you honestly don't think your 'complicated' feelings toward Mag had any undue influence on your review.

Readers of this thread can draw their own conclusions.

Maglite fan? Sounds like one.

Skyeye

Enlightened
I purchased the former model XL100 yesterday and think it's a better value than the XL50. At least you get all the cool features that you may never use. The accelerometer works good and the lock out feature is cool. I agree with the poor engineering on the head of the light. I lubed the threads with silicone and they feel better now. Focus, what focus? I did notice that not all of the examples on the shelf had a pill that was perfectly centered. I went through 5 of them till I found one that looked spot on. Other than that, it's a pretty decent light. I would not pay more than $30 for it though as the non-sale price at Academy was $49.99 OUCH! I presume that's why they put them on clearance cause they didn't move.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the original XL100 or XL110 whatever it was called. It was cool for a day in a gimmicky sort of way. In the end I couldn't justify it's cost for what was pretty obvious (like the OP stated) this was just a subpar manufactured light which seems below Maglites normally bombproof type of build quality. I was glad when i returned it as I had money to buy something from CPF.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite fan? Sounds like one.

Not really a fan, but do admire Mag for delivering very decent products available everywhere across the USA.

I've bought enough Mags of various types over the years to have a pretty good idea of what their quality control is like. Mags do the job and they tend to keep working for a long time.

I've bought probably over two dozen Mags since the 1980s. Lots of different models in xD, xC, 2AA, 2AAA, and 1AAA form factors. Threads were good on all of them.

Had to return one 3D Mag that was defective right out of the box with a bad switch.

The fact that you can return a defective Mag immediately back to the brick and mortar store where you bought it rather than sending it off to China, is a big advantage in my opinion.

Mag's lifetime warranty and customer service are also good in my experience.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag has been around for a long time, but they lack in quality, performance, and styling. I grew up with Mag lights, and I always hated them.
Not really a fan, but do admire Mag for delivering very decent products available everywhere across the USA.

I've bought enough Mags of various types over the years to have a pretty good idea of what their quality control is like. Mags do the job and they tend to keep working for a long time.

I've bought probably over two dozen Mags since the 1980s. Lots of different models in xD, xC, 2AA, 2AAA, and 1AAA form factors. Threads were good on all of them.

Had to return one 3D Mag that was defective right out of the box with a bad switch.

The fact that you can return a defective Mag immediately back to the brick and mortar store where you bought it rather than sending it off to China, is a big advantage in my opinion.

Mag's lifetime warranty and customer service are also good in my experience.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag has been around for a long time, but they lack in quality, performance, and styling. I grew up with Mag lights, and I always hated them.

Well, at least you are forthright about you hatred for Mags. ;>

And you have lots of company - loads of Mag hatred here on CPF.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I myself can honestly say I don't hate maglite's, but I strongly dislike their business pratices. Like trying to sue ID software for the flashlight used in the game Doom 3, I mean come freakin on. That's just one example.

I will always agree that Mag puts out a pretty decent product FOR THE PRICE, but the XL series of lights is below the general standard of the maglite's I have owned. Under normal circumstances I would have never made the post I did, but in the light of so many glowing and well documented reviews and opinions out there, I felt the need to express my distaste for the particual model.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I myself can honestly say I don't hate maglite's, but I strongly dislike their business pratices. Like trying to sue ID software for the flashlight used in the game Doom 3, I mean come freakin on. That's just one example.

I take you at your word that you don't hate Mags.

I'm not familiar with that lawsuit, but it does sound ridiculous.

Many companies these days are highly litigious regarding IP issues, because the executives fear getting in trouble for lack of fiduciary responsibility if they don't zealously litigate.

Mag gets lots of flack on CPF for litigation, but you hardly ever see Surefire criticized for putting one of its competitors out of business through litigation.

I will always agree that Mag puts out a pretty decent product FOR THE PRICE, but the XL series of lights is below the general standard of the maglite's I have owned. Under normal circumstances I would have never made the post I did, but in the light of so many glowing and well documented reviews and opinions out there, I felt the need to express my distaste for the particual model.

I still think you got a really bad sample of the XL50.

Mine is not a superb light, but its beam isn't horrible, its head isn't loose, etc.

I'd say it's a decent light that'll do the job well for most people - providing them with output and throw like nothing they've ever experienced in a compact package.

Time will tell it the XL series falls below Mag's standard for durability.

Mag does have years of experience at just how much aluminum they can machine off a flashlight body without sacrificing durability. ;>

I agree that the XL series seems overpriced. The XL50 would be a good deal at 20 to 25 bucks, but 30 bucks is pushing it. Also, the newest XL version seems way overpriced to me.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do admit the company does have some products that I dislike, and I've expressed my opinion about that here in the past, but hate is such a strong word though, which is why I felt compeled to assure you that I don't "hate" maglite's.

Again regarding getting a bad sample, even so I don't think that would change my overall opinion on the light, considering how much I dislike the plastic lens and cheap battery carrier, combined with the unuseful focusing.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
but in the light of so many glowing and well documented reviews and opinions out there, I felt the need to express my distaste for the particual model.

again, very confused by this idea that CPFer's love the XL50. don't know where you're getting that from.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
again, very confused by this idea that CPFer's love the XL50. don't know where you're getting that from.

Hi robostudent, if you take the time to read through the XL50 and XL100 threads you will seen most members like their XL lights. If you can find any negative posts on the light in those threads, please fill free to point them out. Thanks

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Hi robostudent, if you take the time to read through the XL50 and XL100 threads you will seen most members like their XL lights. If you can find any negative posts on the light in those threads, please fill free to point them out. Thanks

yeah, did that. still, the most oft expressed sentiments seemed to be "not bad for the money" and "wish it wasn't 3xAAA", which isn't exactly universal praise.

anyway, i'm also confused why you would buy an XL50 if you don't like plastic lenses. it's not like that was a secret. neither is the fact that the lens on the XL's are hard to replace. you've posted on other XL100/XL50 threads, so you must have known about these issues.

Last edited: