Impulse buy! P60 host... need drop-in recommendations!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I was just over at Lighthound buying a tube of Nyogel, and on an impulse picked up a Solarforce L2R 2xAA host.

I'm interested in a neutral white, multimode module for it; don't need any strobes or the like, however.

I'd like to keep it in the range of $20 - $40.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

PS: this is my first P60 type light, so any other advice on their use/care/feeding would be welcome.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interestingly, you chose kind of a challenging host to pick a drop in for. The fact is that most drop in modules require at least 4.2 volts for regulated output. With two AAs, you're only looking at about 3 volts. Unless of course you want to put 2 X 14500 Li Ion in series, in which case you'll need a very high voltage drop in. Luckily for you, Solarforce has you covered on both fronts. They have a good selection of drop ins centered around the Cree XPG emitters that will operate at very low (.8 - 4.2) or very high (4.2 - 18) voltages.

Please see the sales site here: http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product.php?t=RB and click the drop down to look at the options offered in these "extreme" voltage ranges.

I have to think that a low voltage, 3 mode drop in running on a couple of Eneloops is your ideal setup here. I would probably go that route rather than trying to squeeze a couple of Lithium Ions in there. You'll have higher capacity, better efficiency, and your whole setup will be safer.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite drop-in for my L2r is a dereelight 3SD XPE neutral Javelin drop-in. You want the 0.9 to 4.2V version of the drop-in (they are available in two different voltage ranges). You can currently chose from an XPG, XPE R3, or XPE R2 with a neutral 4A tint. The XPG has great throw with a nice big hotspot and decent spill. The XPE has a smaller hot spot, less lumens, less spill, but even more throw than the XPG. The 3SD version has 3 modes (high, medium, low) without any strobe or other disco modes. It has last mode memory and will fit perfectly into the L2r. I have both the XPG version and XPE with 5C tint. It will run you $35 direct from Dereelight and you may be able to get it at flashlight connection too.

Again, make sure to specify that you want the 0.9V - 4.2V version.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solarforce nuetral tint 0.9-4.2 works great. I think SolarforceUSA sells them too. Get an Orangepeel reflector, if you decide to run two 14500's get a 3v-18v dropin

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interestingly, you chose kind of a challenging host to pick a drop in for. The fact is that most drop in modules require at least 4.2 volts for regulated output. With two AAs, you're only looking at about 3 volts. Unless of course you want to put 2 X 14500 Li Ion in series, in which case you'll need a very high voltage drop in. Luckily for you, Solarforce has you covered on both fronts. They have a good selection of drop ins centered around the Cree XPG emitters that will operate at very low (.8 - 4.2) or very high (4.2 - 18) voltages.

Please see the sales site here: http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product.php?t=RB and click the drop down to look at the options offered in these "extreme" voltage ranges.

I have to think that a low voltage, 3 mode drop in running on a couple of Eneloops is your ideal setup here. I would probably go that route rather than trying to squeeze a couple of Lithium Ions in there. You'll have higher capacity, better efficiency, and your whole setup will be safer.

I bought it, honestly, because it was inexpensive... only $11. Also because I prefer the AA format. While I do have some 18650 lights, for lights that I'm going to be relying on for longer periods of time, like camping, hiking, and backpacking, I prefer to go with AA.

I'm not opposed to running 2x14500; but thanks for pointing out the voltage issue. I did have a rough idea that I would need to take that into account, just wasn't quite sure how it cashed out with this format.

Another reason I decided to get it is because I want to get the lantern head attachment, and the color filters too... I'd like to be able to use it for things like star parties, camping, etc.

My favorite drop-in for my L2r is a dereelight 3SD XPE neutral Javelin drop-in. You want the 0.9 to 4.2V version of the drop-in (they are available in two different voltage ranges). You can currently chose from an XPG, XPE R3, or XPE R2 with a neutral 4A tint. The XPG has great throw with a nice big hotspot and decent spill. The XPE has a smaller hot spot, less lumens, less spill, but even more throw than the XPG. The 3SD version has 3 modes (high, medium, low) without any strobe or other disco modes. It has last mode memory and will fit perfectly into the L2r. I have both the XPG version and XPE with 5C tint. It will run you $35 direct from Dereelight and you may be able to get it at flashlight connection too.

Again, make sure to specify that you want the 0.9V - 4.2V version.

That sounds like a good option; I'll check it out. I think for most uses I'd want to go with the XPG as I'd be using the light most often for camping and the like.

Solarforce nuetral tint 0.9-4.2 works great. I think SolarforceUSA sells them too. Get an Orangepeel reflector, if you decide to run two 14500's get a 3v-18v dropin

Do you know the specific model number for this one (low voltage neutral)? I looked at their site and they don't specify the tints clearly; they mention some binning, but I'm not familiar with some of the less common tint bins outside of the 4, 5, and 7 bins.

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to this... (A little while ago, my wife said "You bought ANOTHER flashlight!!!? LOL... :D and I said yeah, and I used my own money for it too! So nyah!!!)

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking around, the neutral XPE Dereelight module looks good. I tend to use larger lights for seeing farther away anyway, though I'd prefer to have the most lumens the module and host can safely use.

Are there any neutral XML modules available that use a low voltage?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking around, the neutral XPE Dereelight module looks good. I tend to use larger lights for seeing farther away anyway, though I'd prefer to have the most lumens the module and host can safely use.

Are there any neutral XML modules available that use a low voltage?

With Low Voltage P60 drop-ins when you go lower into the voltage say 3V input, you get 140~200 real OTF lumens, but 250~300 with 4.2v input. yes, dereelight and Solarforce low voltage drop-ins both do this.

Only thing or option you have is to give Nailbender a shot. He can drive whatever LED at 4~5watts of total power with just low voltage and his drivers are 1~3V, which makes them great and will actually give you about 5 watts of power from just 2 AA NiMH cells.

Here is what to order:
  • P60 drop-in
  • OP reflector
  • XM-L 6T LED
  • potted for heat and more robust
  • low voltage driver designed for 1 or 2 NiMH AA cells, which also work with Alkalines of course.
This should give you a real 350 or 400 OTF lumens of just 2 *AA NiMH Cells.
bigC

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
With Low Voltage P60 drop-ins when you go lower into the voltage say 3V input, you get 140~200 real OTF lumens, but 250~300 with 4.2v input. yes, dereelight and Solarforce low voltage drop-ins both do this.

Only thing or option you have is to give Nailbender a shot. He can drive whatever LED at 4~5watts of total power with just low voltage and his drivers are 1~3V, which makes them great and will actually give you about 5 watts of power from just 2 AA NiMH cells.

Here is what to order:
  • P60 drop-in
  • OP reflector
  • XM-L 6T LED
  • potted for heat and more robust
  • low voltage driver designed for 1 or 2 NiMH AA cells, which also work with Alkalines of course.
This should give you a real 350 or 400 OTF lumens of just 2 *AA NiMH Cells.
bigC

Thanks bigC...

I thought his drop-ins didn't work with the L2R, but I can ask him anyway.

If I can get something in a neutral tint, that will do 300 lumens OTF on a pair of nimh's, I'd be perfectly happy with that. :D

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK the NB drop ins are not compatible with the L2R. :poof:

Okay, so I'm wondering if this is a size/fitment issue? Or, is it a voltage issue in that the tail switch/cap isn't rated to handle the kind of amperage his modules require?

If it's an amperage issue, couldn't I just get one of the Solarforce tail caps that can handle higher amperages?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, so I'm wondering if this is a size/fitment issue? Or, is it a voltage issue in that the tail switch/cap isn't rated to handle the kind of amperage his modules require?

If it's an amperage issue, couldn't I just get one of the Solarforce tail caps that can handle higher amperages?

I think we might be overusing the "poof" here.

As I understood the OP's request, he is looking for a p60 module that will fit an L2r. By nature of what it is, almost any p60 drop in will fit the L2r. The internal dimensions of the head are the same as every other in the L2 series.

I think some posters here assume the OP wants to put 2 x 14500 Li Ion in the light, otherwise what's all the "poofing" about? The issue would not be that 2 x AA would provide too much current to the drop in but rather too little. The OP needs a low voltage drop in that will run regulated below 3 volts. Some (such as BigC) have suggested that Nailbender can make such a drop in. Otherwise, Solarforce offers several low voltage XPG drop ins that will work, though no one has been able to identify a neutral one.

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened

It's a fitment issue. The NB low voltage driver has exposed components on the bottom that will make magic smoke if you stuff one in an L2R. Trust me, I made this mistake. :stupid:

Also, the L2R has it's own smaller diameter tailcap and switch. I don't know if there are any other options there. :shrug:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got several Nailbender modules, XP-G's and an XM-L running in SF C2's and 6P's. They work great with AW 17670's and I can back those batteries up with CR123A's on the road. However, with all the one and two cell combo's I've put together, I got a Malkoff mixed up with a Nailbender and did the inadvertant overvoltage test on the NB XM-L module with two AW RCR123's. I noticed that the lower modes weren't low and the light was running hot. Put the AW 14670 back in and the light works fine, whew...

I also have a Thrunite XM-L P60 dropin. It is plenty bright and has the usual XM-L brownish green corona around the hotspot. The emitter is visibly off center but the beam looks fine with the LOP reflector. However, on the lower modes, PWM is quite noticeable, next time I'd spend a few dollars more and get a Nailbender.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the L2r came in the mail today, and it's a decent body/host.

After looking around for a while, I think I'm going to go with the Dereelight neutral XPE module.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a fitment issue. The NB low voltage driver has exposed components on the bottom that will make magic smoke if you stuff one in an L2R. Trust me, I made this mistake. :stupid:

Also, the L2R has it's own smaller diameter tailcap and switch. I don't know if there are any other options there. :shrug:

There's a very real possibility of making negative electrical contact with the circuit board with the L2r because of the smaller diameter hole for the smaller diameter batteries used in this model. I have a L2r body that I'm still trying to figure out what I want to put in it and this thread has definitely helped point me in the right direction WRT drop-ins to look at.

The single biggest problem with the L2r is the tail cap. I was given an L2r body minus the tail cap. I tried to buy just a tail cap from a few online vendors and have not been able to do so. I've been told that the L2r is made and sold in such small quantities that the tailcaps are not made available separately. I'll just make one on the lathe or make an adapter to use a standard L2 tail cap on my L2r body. I've read at least one post on these pages about tail cap failures on the L2r, so, I wonder how many L2rs there are out there that are sitting in a junk box because of a failed tailcap and the lack of availablity of replacements?

goose2283

Newly Enlightened

I had no idea SolarForce made neutral-tint dropins. I bought my first from DX, and have started building them myself. Good to know!

Jared

Newly Enlightened
I've got several Nailbender modules, XP-G's and an XM-L running in SF C2's and 6P's. They work great with AW 17670's and I can back those batteries up with CR123A's on the road. However, with all the one and two cell combo's I've put together, I got a Malkoff mixed up with a Nailbender and did the inadvertant overvoltage test on the NB XM-L module with two AW RCR123's. I noticed that the lower modes weren't low and the light was running hot. Put the AW 14670 back in and the light works fine, whew...

I also have a Thrunite XM-L P60 dropin. It is plenty bright and has the usual XM-L brownish green corona around the hotspot. The emitter is visibly off center but the beam looks fine with the LOP reflector. However, on the lower modes, PWM is quite noticeable, next time I'd spend a few dollars more and get a Nailbender.

I just got mine this week. If you loosen the reflector you can actually slide the LED and board gently around the brass base, then re-tighten the reflector slowly to hold it's position. Took me about 4 or 5 attempts but it's almost perfectly centered now. Also the PWM is NOT visibly noticeable to me, though you can hear it. YMMV.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me if any of the Malkoff drop-ins will work in an L2r? I'd prefer a multi-mode module, and it seems like all the Malkoff devices are single mode only, but if one of their warm, lower output modules would work, I'd be willing to consider the additional cost of one for my L2r. I'm going to be moving to N. Iowa in a couple of months, and I want to have a neutral or warm tint light for walking to work and back in the winter.