Recommendations wanted - variable beam cr123

Tazzdad

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to decide between the Jetbeam RRT-0, Nitecore RFE1 and Sunwayman V10r. I'm looking for a small single cr-123 edc light. I'm pretty much a "noob" at flashlights but balancing my "wants" and "needs" I think any of these three would satisfy, and they're all in the same ballpark, costwise.

I'm looking for input on quality and durability. The selected light will often be carried in a pants pocket with a cell phone or other misc. edc.

I was also wondering how Goinggear.com has been treating hot. I've read good things about it so far.

Thanks in advance.

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
Treating hot? GG is an excellent source good guys.

Any of those lights would satisfy I believe. I think you meant the Nitecore IFE1.

My opinion: the RRT is a nice light, but the switch is too squishy imo. The V10R is aesthetically super sharp (I had one for a bit), but slippery no knurling. I also didn't like the purple-ish tints of the V10 or M10. The IFE1 is pricey, but overall it would be my pick. The V10R is the smallest of the pack. I'd say the IFE1 is the largest, maybe the RRT very close to same size.

Good luck can't really go wrong

Tazzdad

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I did mean IFE1. I wonder if I can blame it on the iPad on screen keyboard?

I started out thinking Nitecore Ex11, but read quite a few comments about th QC. Started looking at the Sunwayman and stumbled on the Jetbeam. I think I'm leaning towards the Jetbeam, mainly because of the available AA converter.

Would you say all three are similar in terms of quality?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already have an RRT-2 R5, then a TC-R2 S2.
I found the 18650 size RRT-2 too big for my pocket.
The TC-R2 is a great size, but I myself would probably not buy titanium again.
Ti is surprisingly heavy - actually 1.66 times heavier; so the cigar-hold/grip is uncomfortable.
Furthermore, the surface of titanium is hard, glass smooth and therefore greasy in your palm, and cold - because aluminium conducts some 15-20 times better than titanium.
The TC-R2 is for my wife - she loves the jewelry-like titanium - she would never carry black/dark grey in her handbag.
With 310 lumens, the TC-R2 has significantly more brightness than the more modest more compact, smooth and lightweight V10R Ti @ 210 lumens.

I just ordered the lightweight RRT-0 S2 from GG today. Should come in a few days. Will let you know soon...
The S2 is said to have a better tail switch than the R5.

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I did mean IFE1. I wonder if I can blame it on the iPad on screen keyboard?

I started out thinking Nitecore Ex11, but read quite a few comments about th QC. Started looking at the Sunwayman and stumbled on the Jetbeam. I think I'm leaning towards the Jetbeam, mainly because of the available AA converter.

Would you say all three are similar in terms of quality?

Yeah I think they are all on the same page regarding quality. I think the finishing on the Sunways might be a touch higher, but thats cosmetic.

You say carried in your pants pocket. The Jetbeam with AA converter is a pretty sizeable light. Not large by any means, but not nearly as pocketable as the V10R. The clip on the IFE1 is the nicest clip out of the 3 imo. But it's not small either! :)

Have you read up on the reviews floating around and beamshots of the said lights? Do your research take your time and you'll be a happy camper!

Tazzdad

Newly Enlightened
I already have an RRT-2 R5, then a TC-R2 S2.
I found the 18650 size RRT-2 too big for my pocket.
The TC-R2 is a great size, but I myself would probably not buy titanium again.
Ti is surprisingly heavy - actually 1.66 times heavier; so the cigar-hold/grip is uncomfortable.
Furthermore, the surface of titanium is hard, glass smooth and therefore greasy in your palm, and cold - because aluminium conducts some 15-20 times better than titanium.
The TC-R2 is for my wife - she loves the jewelry-like titanium - she would never carry black/dark grey in her handbag.
With 310 lumens, the TC-R2 has significantly more brightness than the more modest more compact, smooth and lightweight V10R Ti @ 210 lumens.

I just ordered the lightweight RRT-0 S2 from GG today. Should come in a few days. Will let you know soon...
The S2 is said to have a better tail switch than the R5.

Wow, it's harder doing this on an iPad than I thought. Although forgetting to reply with quote is my fault. Please forgive the "orphan"response above.

Tazzdad

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I think they are all on the same page regarding quality. I think the finishing on the Sunways might be a touch higher, but thats cosmetic.

You say carried in your pants pocket. The Jetbeam with AA converter is a pretty sizeable light. Not large by any means, but not nearly as pocketable as the V10R. The clip on the IFE1 is the nicest clip out of the 3 imo. But it's not small either! :)

Have you read up on the reviews floating around and beamshots of the said lights? Do your research take your time and you'll be a happy camper!

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't planning to pocket carry with the AA adapter, I just like having the option if I need it. AAs are a lot more common, especially during hurricane season.

I have been reading the reviews here and elsewhere. In fact that's how I found out about Going Gear, for his YouTube reviews.

I think you're right about all three being good. I just haven't spent that much on a light yet. I've been buying Primarily 4 Sevens and Fenix. I guess I caught a case of FBA (flashlight buying addiction).

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Jetbeam RRT-0 is a great reliable & versatile light. I pocket carry mine even with the AA adapter. I always buy my Jetbeam from Bugout Gear USA using their CPF discount.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't tell us if you ordered R2, R5, or S2?
Smooth or orange peel?

My S2 OP from goinggear should arrive tomorrow - I hope it's virtually as powerful and floody as my wife's TC-R2 S2 with 310 lumens.
I am dying for them to release one in XM-L; they are so slow...

Tazzdad

Newly Enlightened
I believe we ordered the same model, the S2 OP. I'm not sure how long it will take to get here. I'm trying not to think about it too much so I don't have to run to the mailbox every day.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my RRT-0 S2 from goinggear.
Superb! Very happy.
It is soooo light/featherweight compared to my wife's TC-R2 titanium! The heavyweight Ti is a chore.
The parts on the RRT-0 Al are completely different from the parts on the TC-R2 Ti: the Al is a tad shorter, and the ring is different and shorter.
The two look almost identical.

The ring on the RRT-0 S2 is purfect. It is so much smoother, and the "detent" on standby is so much lighter than my wife's TC-R2 S2.
The tail end switch on my S2 is also both lighter and shorter travel than the TC-R2 S2.
Although both are S2 emitters, the beams are completely different!
The RRT-0 S2 hotspot is a little larger, and in particular less defined than the throwy RRT-2 R5 hotspot; both h ot spots are white!
My wife's TC-R2 S2 with 310 lumens is a very large yellow hotspot. Because it is prominently yellow, the hotspot seems less bright than both the RRT-0 S2 and the RRT-2 R5 hotspot.
Though my wife's TC-R2 S2 hotspot is much yellower and a little darker than the RRT-2 R5 thrower, the TC-R2 floods superbly - being far more practical than the throwy smaller white hotspot of the RRT-2 R5.
I will have to wait till tonight to see how well the RRT-0 S2 floods compared to the superb flood of my wife's TC-R2 S2 310 lumens.

The non-metal lanyard that comes with both the RRT-0 S2 and the RRT-2 R5 initially feels cheap compared to the TC-R2's lanyard with metal parts, however the all cloth lanyard is far more practical because it allows the flashlight to tail stand!

It is amazing to see how Jetbeam definitely make running changes to their products...

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Btw, the magnetic ring on the RRT-0 S2 is tight & purfect!
On my wife's TC-R2, it was a bit loose! On the overhand grip wif four fingers over d top, the shiny polished slippery smooth titanium surface wud often cause d whole flashlight to slide a fraction thru d palm of yr hands, when u depressed d tail end switch.
This sliding of the slippery Ti body would often pull the loose magnetic ring away from it's correct attachment.
In the Al RRT-0 S2, the surface texture of the Al is perfect! No slippery slide. Tight ring!

The beam of the RRT-0 S2 is same hotspot width, yet brighter and whiter than the TC-R2 S2! Amazing improvement.
But then I've heard that the newer and cheaper de-specified BC10 is brighter again - supposed to be the brightest single CR123 on the market...

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
I've heard rumors that the S2 version doesn't go down to the .003 lumen low of the R5. Barring the ~7% greater efficiency of the S2 over the R5, I hope that it is just simply that...a rumor. How is the low on your S2 version? I just placed an order for one today, then happened across a thread stating that the lowest setting was in the 1-2 lumen range.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Btw Tazzdad, in case you have not heard from other CPF forum members, do NOT put that pocket clip ring on!
It will scratch the annodising off your aluminium, and the included clip is a poor design that falls off anyway.

If you're really keen on a clip, must buy pocket clip from Jetbeam's cousin Nitecore spare parts depo...

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that the TC-R2 S2 Ti and RRT-0 S2 perform differently depending on the type of battery used.

On a disposable primary CR123, the light starts off bright, then it gradually drops off, getting yellower and yellower as the battery depletes.
On a rechargeable RCR123 AW 16340 750 mAH, the light is on constant maximum brightness as the battery depletes - fantastic; then one day, the battery goes suddenly flat with no prior indication!
Thus I prefer the rechargeables much more. Can buy from AW on CPF.

Thus the minimum brightness will be lower using disposable primaries.
However even with rechargeables, the minimum brightness is very very low.
Even if it is not 0.003 lumens, it must still be some 1-2 lumens - fantastic for just out of bed at 2am in the morning...

aimxplode

Enlightened
Btw Tazzdad, in case you have not heard from other CPF forum members, do NOT put that pocket clip ring on!
It will scratch the annodising off your aluminium, and the included clip is a poor design that falls off anyway.

If you're really keen on a clip, must buy pocket clip from Jetbeam's cousin Nitecore spare parts depo...

This.

I've heard rumors that the S2 version doesn't go down to the .003 lumen low of the R5. Barring the ~7% greater efficiency of the S2 over the R5, I hope that it is just simply that...a rumor. How is the low on your S2 version? I just placed an order for one today, then happened across a thread stating that the lowest setting was in the 1-2 lumen range.

The lowest low is very very low. You can very easily look straight at the led and see the grid pattern.

I find that the TC-R2 S2 Ti and RRT-0 S2 perform differently depending on the type of battery used.

On a disposable primary CR123, the light starts off bright, then it gradually drops off, getting yellower and yellower as the battery depletes.
On a rechargeable RCR123 AW 16340 750 mAH, the light is on constant maximum brightness as the battery depletes - fantastic; then one day, the battery goes suddenly flat with no prior indication!
Thus I prefer the rechargeables much more. Can buy from AW on CPF.

Thus the minimum brightness will be lower using disposable primaries.
However even with rechargeables, the minimum brightness is very very low.
Even if it is not 0.003 lumens, it must still be some 1-2 lumens - fantastic for just out of bed at 2am in the morning...

Hey peter, do you know if there is a runtime graph of the light using primary cr123a's? I'm avoiding Li-ions, and I just want to see specifically how well its regulated with primaries and what percentage it goes down to before it drops. Thanks!

Last edited: