LSL vs. LSH

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrunner192

Newly Enlightened
I know that most on the forum swear by the high dome LS but I was curious as to exactly what the low dome is like. I have a modded light that I put a HD into and know how it has excellent throw, but I was curious as to how the throw and overall brightness compare to the low dome. I don't have much money to spare and with the sale that is currently going on the $65 LS low dome looks irresistable. I couldn't really find any beamshots, so any direction or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an LSL. It is just as bright as my LSHs but the beam looks different -- a little like a very bright Arc AAA. The beam is broader, less throw, more of a flood. The center of the beam is bluer than the outer corona.

Paul

onelight

Enlightened
I have an LSL-P & LSH-S the L is a little blue the H is barely green I like them both and do not find a practical difference in my use, they both look white compared to my KL1 and off color compared to my L4. Some people are not happy with less than pure white color,but if your search is for a handy useable light you will probably be happy with the LS-S @ $65 looks like a great deal to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Bobvvue02

Newly Enlightened
Jrunner192,

I define spill as the usefully light, not in the center "hot spot". Most people tend to talk about the amount of "throw" in the hot spot, where the usable "spill" light, off center is what makes the difference for me.

Here is how I would describe them: The LSL has a larger "hot spot" I really didn't think the LSH-S has a longer throw in the hot spot either, as both were about the same at lighting up tree tops around the yard. The LSL-S probably lit a LARGER area at distance.

The big different is what happens outside the hot spot. The amount of light say from 10-30 degrees off center on a LSL, just sort of fades away. On a LSH however, the light outside the hot spot, to about says 30 degress is a very useable, bright, constant spill light. At about 30 deg, the LSH-S has a VERY abrupt cut off to almost no light.

Personally, I like the LHS beam pattern over the LSL-S, NOT because of the center hot spot, rather because of the VERY usefull spill light the LSH-S has that I really didn't get with the LSL-S.

As for color, my LSL-S like most, was bluer in the middle. My LSH-S is white. Just plain white.

Both were EXCELENT QUALITY units, being 1sts. At $65, knowing what you are getting, I think they are great lights.

Bob

yclo

Flashaholic*
This might help visualise it a bit, ignore the colour/tint.

fba5df80.jpg

Both are using NX-05 optics.

Hope this helps.

-YC

jrunner192

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help, I definitely do like the larger spill on the HD but for the money I think that the LD is one heck of a deal. The perfect reason to buy the best flashlight known to man!

onelight

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I think you will love it! I just noticed you are in norman OK I work the Norman Noble area & live in SW okc if you would like to see both, send a private message and we may be able to get together so you can see them both.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
See this pic too

arc_lsl_lsh.jpg

properties of owners ( i forgot who)

onelight

Enlightened
yclo & shiftd the pics are great,It is hard to describe the difference but your pics show it clearly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
no problem, onelight

ah btw, the pic is not mine, it was someone's else. I am just borrowing it

Interlude

Newly Enlightened
My only beef with the LSL is that it tends to be very bluish... even moreso than the classic "HID" blueish that is common among LEDs.

If it counts for anything, I believe that the high-dome Luxeons were intended to replace the technologically inferior low-dome models.

onelight

Enlightened
Interlude you may be right but when used as a task light say 2 to 30 ft I don't think I find $30.-$90 difference,if I am buying to get bright and white with the most throw I might pay much more than $65. It just depends on how much you want to spend,and your needs The LS-S is a bargain for a compact EDC with the exception of the LED you get the same quality parts as a $150.light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and if you want to upgrade later there are skilled people here that can change the emitter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

jrunner192

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the offer onelight but I think I'm going to go for the LSL. From the pics above, it looks to me like the difference isn't enough to worry about spending the extra money for the LSH, but I appreciate the offer.

s2k

Newly Enlightened
if you want a real WHITE light, go for LSH, the beam of LSL looks BLUE....

Even an LSL-P....

moedank

Newly Enlightened
yeah my first LS was an LSL-S for $65. it had more green than i expected. i sold it off to a good friend. then i bought a LSL-P. still green and blue. sent it back. got an LSH-P for 120 shipped brand new, and immediately can tell the difference. much whiter, brighter, and a little bit of a longer throw. lsh-p is the way to go especially if you can pick one up for a good deal.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
As much as I've tried, I could never learn to like the LSL. The REV2/Hybrids always seemed to be whiter to me. Every LSL that I've seen was either too blue or too green for my liking. The LSH on the other hand is totally awesome and consistant between units.

jrunner192

Newly Enlightened
So is the blue tint somewhat similar to that on the AAA because if that is the case then it isn't really that much of a problem. I think that it's just that I haven't been spoiled by having a beautifully white HD light quite yet. I still think that the brightness of any LS light blows and incandescent out of the water so a little blue tint is fine to deal with.

onelight

Enlightened
It can be blue to violet but i have not heard of many violet ARCs but it is like the AAA. but it is at least 10 times as bright. the 1w LEDs can be shades of green white blue & violet.But the quality of the ARC LSL-S is better than cmg or even surefire it seems.The $65.LSL-S is a first so you can return it if you are not happy with it.My LSH-S has a light green tint,but I like it my LSL has a blue tint & I like it,my SF-KL1 has a violet tint I like it to.In any tool you should buy the best you can afford I think the ARCs are the best for output and size in a production light,

onelight

Enlightened
Hey it sounds like I work for ARC I don't.I like the way they do business and I think Peter puts out the best product that he can and backs it up with service. I have bought 8-AAA the LSL-P the LSH-S and I have 2-aa and the LSH-P on order I think they are all worth what they cost,and I am a long way from being his best customer here at cpf. These guys like his lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.