sunway v20c

FL450

Newly Enlightened
I ordered mine last week, I believe it should arrive this week or next.
Battery Junction expects them in stock tomorrow. I can't wait

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Received mine today and I although I love the concept and form factor, I have a major issue with this light.

My problems with this light stem from the variable brightness control ring and UI. I have several lights of this style and I typically prefer the logarithmic ramping that Sunwayman offers compared to the linear ramping on the Nitecore and JetBeam lights. The execution of this ramping style is severely hindered on the V20C.

They allow for only 90 degrees of rotation between off and the detent for max. That alone makes adjustments difficult since there is not a lot of room to operate. Add to that the fact that my light does not come on until I have rotated the ring about 20 degrees of so (just eyeballing here). That only leaves 70 degrees of rotation between minimum and maximum. To make matters even worse, when dimming the light from max, the light hits the lowest level around the 45 degree mark. WTH?!? In order to appreciate the benefits that the variable brightness control ring offers you have to move very slow and deliberate when rotating the ring. In real world use, you haven't really gained any benefits over a multi-level light by the time you factor in the increased amount of time it takes to get the level you want/need.

I'm going to wait to hear more reports from other users, but I am severely disappointed by these characteristics.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds bad. Don't think I would want one now until more news, reviews or info are released. I am happy with the way the V10R Ti operates and the V20C sounds like it is far from the UI of the V10R.

Incidentalist

Enlightened
I have a Ti V10R as well and am happy with its' performance. In comparison, the Ti V10R appears to have somewhere around 135 degrees of rotation from low to high. Also factor in that it is already on its' lowest setting and you get a full 135 (or so) degrees in which to adjust the brightness to your wants/needs. Contrast that with 70 degrees on the V20C and you've got roughly half the amount of rotation to adjust an even greater difference in lumens between low and high. I might have a mint V20C up for sale real soon (minus a free gift :devil:).

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Max on the V20C is barely brighter than the med setting on my nailbender XML drop in. They could definitely drive it harder.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear some more comments on this light I've been looking for one in stock and now I need to here more about the light itself before ordering.

geckoblink

Newly Enlightened
Received mine today and I although I love the concept and form factor, I have a major issue with this light.

My problems with this light stem from the variable brightness control ring and UI. I have several lights of this style and I typically prefer the logarithmic ramping that Sunwayman offers compared to the linear ramping on the Nitecore and JetBeam lights. The execution of this ramping style is severely hindered on the V20C.

They allow for only 90 degrees of rotation between off and the detent for max. That alone makes adjustments difficult since there is not a lot of room to operate. Add to that the fact that my light does not come on until I have rotated the ring about 20 degrees of so (just eyeballing here). That only leaves 70 degrees of rotation between minimum and maximum. To make matters even worse, when dimming the light from max, the light hits the lowest level around the 45 degree mark. WTH?!? In order to appreciate the benefits that the variable brightness control ring offers you have to move very slow and deliberate when rotating the ring. In real world use, you haven't really gained any benefits over a multi-level light by the time you factor in the increased amount of time it takes to get the level you want/need.

I'm going to wait to hear more reports from other users, but I am severely disappointed by these characteristics.
I don't think the control ring is quite that bad (referring to the 20 degrees) on mine, but it would definitely help if there was a click-stop on min like there is on max, or if moving off min automatically turns the light to the minimum level. There is definitely a not-insignificant amount of space between off and when the led actually turns on.

For me, the benefit of a variable control versus multi-level is ability to choose the light level for appropriate use, so I still like the V20C for what it is.

FL450

Newly Enlightened
I should have mine hear any day now from Battery Junction. I hope I didnt make a mistake.
This flashlight has all the features I am looking for in the current production lights that are on the market.

bromley

Newly Enlightened
I've been thinking about this light since I won a 25% coupon for it, but I thought the same thing when I saw this video. Too bad that my suspicions seem to be true. Sunwayman needs to drive their Led's harder too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFv-Nm9mM2o

I suspect they aren't driving it harder is due to the light head "strictly limited to the 1.25" bezel diameter" (http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?231341-Updated-with-V20C-SUNWAYMAN-flashlight-official-launch-free-light-and-discount&p=2678605&viewfull=1#post2678605) and therefore not being able to incorporate adequate heat dissipation while maintaining the same form... although I'm probably wrong.

I've been waiting for something like the V20C for a while but unfortunately feel it falls short of my requirements/expectations so will be holding off this time round. I really like the design but feel the decision to restrict the head dimensions has limited the light's capabilities; it doesn't throw as far (if the T20C is anything to go by) and the max output are some of the lowest in this category.

Also, from what I understand the variable control thing uses battery juice so even though there is a super low 0.5 lumens min output it only lasts a claimed 120hrs. Compare that to the min ouput of the T20C of 10 lumens for a claimed 200hrs. That's a big hit on runtime. I'm fairly new to variable controlled lights so this may be normal - if this is the case I may stick to preset level controls for now.

For me, the benefit of a variable control versus multi-level is ability to choose the light level for appropriate use, so I still like the V20C for what it is.

Agreed, but personally I feel the actual usable rotation range is too low to accurately choose a level quickly. The V10R was much better in this regard.

geckoblink

Newly Enlightened
Also, from what I understand the variable control thing uses battery juice so even though there is a super low 0.5 lumens min output it only lasts a claimed 120hrs. Compare that to the min ouput of the T20C of 10 lumens for a claimed 200hrs. That's a big hit on runtime. I'm fairly new to variable controlled lights so this may be normal - if this is the case I may stick to preset level controls for now.
Just to clarify the runtime numbers concerning the T20C you should take a look at truboBB's review of the T20C on this post regarding the stated runtimes.

TL;DR - The T20C's runtime is lower than 200 hours on low. The stated runtime on the Sunwayman site (and turboBB's review assuming he didn't change it in his OP yet) was for an XP-G model with a different driver. Manufacturer's rating a la BatteryJunction is 50 hours, with turboBB's personal testing giving a rough estimate of 81 hours on low on an AW 2600 mah battery.

bromley

Newly Enlightened
Just to clarify the runtime numbers concerning the T20C you should take a look at truboBB's review of the T20C on this post regarding the stated runtimes.

I've seen the review thanks but seeing as I haven't seen a thorough review of the V20C yet I had nothing to compare it to and so went to SWM's site.

TL;DR - The T20C's runtime is lower than 200 hours on low. The stated runtime on the Sunwayman site (and turboBB's review assuming he didn't change it in his OP yet) was for an XP-G model with a different driver. Manufacturer's rating a la BatteryJunction is 50 hours, with turboBB's personal testing giving a rough estimate of 81 hours on low on an AW 2600 mah battery.

turboBB's review is a finalised production sample utilising the XM-L.

Everything on the SWM site suggests that it's for the XM-L model :confused:

Hrvoje

Newly Enlightened
My V20C just arrived, and yes, it is as on this video. On my example it is even more than half way. Annoying. And I like the look of T20C crenulated bezel more than V20C flat one. It is really not driven hard, 1.2 A at the tailcap, and the throw is some 5700 lux, even less than T20C (6100 lux).

t20cvsv20c.jpg

t20cvsv20c1.jpg

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
My V20C just arrived, and yes, it is as on this video. On my example it is even more than half way. Annoying. And I like the look of T20C crenulated bezel more than V20C flat one. It is really not driven hard, 1.2 A at the tailcap, and the throw is some 5700 lux, even less than T20C (6100 lux).

It's more than half way before the minimum turns on? If this is the case I'm sure glad I did not order it and this would be a rare scenario where I send a light back for a refund or one that operates like it should.

Hrvoje

Newly Enlightened
From Off, I need to rotate the ring about 50 degrees before the led turns on. In the opposite direction low is reached at about 45 degrees. This variable regulation sucks.

Last edited:

Hrvoje

Newly Enlightened
I've already screwed it up. Can't put back this screw and ball... in fact, I don't know where this ball goes anyway, and can't align the screw properly. Sunwayman representative, where are you?

UPDATE: Fixed :)

v20cparts.jpg

v20cparts1.jpg

v20cparts2.jpg

Last edited:

geckoblink

Newly Enlightened

geckoblink

Newly Enlightened
To clarify the gap between OFF and LOW when trying to use the V20C on the lowest output setting, here are two pictures showing when the lowest output engages on my control ring:

When turning light to low from HIGH toward OFF with the control ring:
lowfromhightooff.jpg

When turning light to low from OFF toward HIGH with the control ring:
lowfromofftohigh.jpg