Any experience of Spark ST5-190NW?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since last year I am thinking about getting a Zebralight H51W. Then I discovered the Spark headlamps.
Spark-ST5-190NW seems to be the counterpart to Zebralight H51W.
But I find the design beeing nicer. The Zebralight I find to be unnecessary complicated with sub-modes. Spark is more attractive for me.
It seems to be the perfect 1AA headlamp, anyone who knows about it?
It works with as well 14500 and AA cell and the working range is stated as 1,0-4,2V. That should mean the stated brightnesses is the same with AA as with 14500, because at the website nothing else is stated.

http://www.sbflashlights.com/Spark/Spark-ST5-190NW-p123.html

Regards, Patric

kevinm

Enlightened
I have one and I like it a lot. The spot is tighter than my H51F (you can still make out the spot on the H51F). I have not tried it with a 14500.

Kevin

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one and I like it a lot. The spot is tighter than my H51F (you can still make out the spot on the H51F). I have not tried it with a 14500.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin for the very fast reply!

Is there anything else you can tell about it? Is it well regulated? PWM at the lower modes?

ryguy24000

Enlightened
I also had a defective 125ow and I should get a replacement this week. I hear the output using 14500s will be over 300lm.

tedh

Newly Enlightened
And a third defective 125OW here, hoping to see the new one soon. You guys all order from SBFlashlights? I see the XML ST5 is up on their website, was going to ask where my replacement was, have you heard anything?

Ted

tedh

Newly Enlightened
And I can think of at least one more someone mentioned. It seems like some (unknown how many) of the early production lights had two problems: 1) a low that was way below the specified 6 lumens, it had to be less than 1 lumen and 2) flickering when on medium mode. A bunch of us sent them back, and are now waiting for replacements. To be fair, I've been waiting a while because I asked them to send me one of the new XML lights.

It's an interesting parallel to the Zebralight story, where the early lights had problems. I wish the best for both companies, they are pushing the envelope and I'm benefiting. I hope Spark doesn't take the beating Zebralight did on quality control, but I do think we have to be fair when someone talks about Zebralight quality and point out other manufacturers aren't perfect, either.

Ted

jake25

Enlightened
It was a defect in the circuitry that happened earlier this year with the XPG R5 ST5 headlamps. Spark is upgrading all of the early adapters to XML ST5's

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly don't blame SBF for what happened with the early ST5's, though I am getting antsy about getting my replacement (and I realize that's not their fault either).

The CS they've provided on this has been first rate, and I will definitely buy from them again.

EDIT:

Just got an email from Jason at SBF: my 190NW is on it's way!!! Woo-hoo!!!

I'll give you guys a report as soon as I can. (It might be a while though; I'm going to be on a business trip all week next week and won't have a lot of time for lights stuff.)

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all replies!

I am looking forward to read your experience of this light. If it works well and is as good as it seems it will soon be added to my collection! :)

ryguy24000

Enlightened
My defective 125ow flickered on meduim mode and stopped working with 14500s, but worked on primarys. SB Flashlights will replace my light. They have been in constant communication with me on the matter. I am "very" happy with SB and will continute to do business with them!!!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My defective 125ow flickered on meduim mode and stopped working with 14500s, but worked on primarys. SB Flashlights will replace my light. They have been in constant communication with me on the matter. I am "very" happy with SB and will continute to do business with them!!!

I have the same experience, ordered several times from them and they are good to deal with!

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Spark ST5 190nw

Just got my replacement Spark St5. Spark/SBflashlights sent me the New 190nw as a replacement for my old 125ow. My initial impressions are good.
Spark seems to have made the rubber strap/light holder a little tighter. this was a complaint of mine loosening over time.
The strap seems to be larger. Something people with large heads will like.
Comes with a frosted and clear lenses. Nice flood with the frosted. More of a directional flood I would think.
The UI is a little different. when holding the button down it cycles starting at low every time.
Now I can't wait until night so I can play a little more. I am charging a 14500 to see what the max output looks like
I won't be able to really put this light to the test for a couple of more months though. I have been laid up with a Ruptured achillies tendon. I had surgery on Wednesday which went good so any reviews of this light from me will be from a gimps pint of view.
I do want to add that SB flashlights has been a pleasure to deal with in the replacement of my old light. Initially they were reluctant in replacing because I had really put some miles on the old light. They contacted Spark and Spark evidently said replace. Thanks Guys!! I'll buy another Spark from SB eventually if for this reason alone!!

Okay. charged the 14500 and surprise surprise surprise. With the 14500 the light actually has 5 modes. low, med1, med2,high, and when in any of these modes double click and bam your in a super mode. according to Spark this mode is in the range of 300lm. I don't have any instrument to measure such claims, but I can tell you it is noticeably brighter than high! gets a little hot in super. not fried egg hot though.

Last edited:

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Re: Spark ST5 190nw

ouch. sorry to hear about your injury. i hope you have a smooth rehab and come back 100%.

goose2283

Newly Enlightened

The UI is a little different. when holding the button down it cycles starting at low every time.
Excellent! Having to cycle through the high modes to get back to low is my biggest complaint by far with my ST6-460NW.

SB flashlights has been a pleasure to deal with
I've also had very good experiences with them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more lights from Jason.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just got my replacement Spark St5. Spark/SBflashlights sent me the New 190nw as a replacement for my old 125ow. My initial impressions are good.
Spark seems to have made the rubber strap/light holder a little tighter. this was a complaint of mine loosening over time.
The strap seems to be larger. Something people with large heads will like.
Comes with a frosted and clear lenses. Nice flood with the frosted. More of a directional flood I would think.
Now I can't wait until night so I can play a little more. I am charging a 14500 to see what the max output looks like
I won't be able to really put this light to the test for a couple of more months though. I have been laid up with a Ruptured achillies tendon. I had surgery on Wednesday which went good so any reviews of this light from me will be from a gimps pint of view.
I do want to add that SB flashlights has been a pleasure to deal with in the replacement of my old light. Initially they were reluctant in replacing because I had really put some miles on the old light. They contacted Spark and Spark evidently said replace. Thanks Guys!! I'll buy another Spark from SB eventually if for this reason alone!!

Okay. charged the 14500 and surprise surprise surprise. With the 14500 the light actually has 5 modes. low, med1, med2,high, and when in any of these modes double click and bam your in a super mode. according to Spark this mode is in the range of 300lm. I don't have any instrument to measure such claims, but I can tell you it is noticeably brighter than high! gets a little hot in super. not fried egg hot though.

My thoughts pretty much exactly. Though the one I just received doesn't fire up with a 14500. I'll have to try it again.

ryguy24000

Enlightened

My thoughts pretty much exactly. Though the one I just received doesn't fire up with a 14500. I'll have to try it again.

Wow that's too bad. I'm beginning to think that the real trick too headlamps in general is the circuitry. the components that make the lamps are basically the same between say metal frame or plastic framed lamps. If one were to categorize headlamps. maybe that could be a thread.
I'm sure Spark will replace your lamp.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I tried it again with a freshly charged AW P14500 and it now ignites. I compared that to the output of an L91 and the four lower 'regular' modes are the same, but the 'turbo' mode is brighter on the 14500 than the L91.

With the clear lens it give a floody beam, with a generous and well defined hot spot. With the frosted lens (which will be the primary one I use with the light) I'd characterize the beam as 'concentrated to diffuse flood', meaning, no real defined hot spot but very bright at the center of the beam getting gradually dimmer as you move out to into the spill area.

It's day right now, so I haven't been able to really give it a going over, but once I have the chance, I'll post my thoughts on the light.

EDIT/ADDENDA:

Okay, took the dog out for his potty break tonight, and took the ST5-190NW with me; have the frosted lens installed. Best thing I can think of to say is Extreme Flood. There is no apparent hotspot with the frosted lens in place, but yet it's not an evenly distributed pattern like with the pure flood ZL's either. Like I mentioned before; large bright center area that gradual tapers off in brightness as you move away from the center. Tint is cool/whiter than with my SC50w+ and about the same as my H51w.

Last edited: