26" LightSport, 700-1200 watt HMI powerful, multi-use light

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
As expected, I learned a lot of things building the: 24" LightSward, 36" Gorilla, 50" Monster and the mini-LightSward.

With the invaluable experience gained working on the other light designs I will make a powerful, convenient and lightweight, 700-1200 watt/HMI light! :cool: :naughty: The final product will have a lightweight, water-resistant, Uni-body/Reflector housing for greater strength, agility convenience, and superior optical precision resulting in a long reaching beam.:thumbsup:

The searchlight will be known as the: 26" LightSport.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever considered electroforming instead of using the chrome tape? I haven't tried it before but here is an example of an electroforming kit. I guess it could be nickel plated afterwards.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever considered electroforming instead of using the chrome tape? I haven't tried it before but here is an example of an electroforming kit. I guess it could be nickel plated afterwards.

That is definitely a good possibility. I will need a +/- 30" dia., tank, 12" deep or so. Good find.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is definitely a good possibility. I will need a +/- 30" dia., tank, 12" deep or so. Good find.

I make that 139L. That much solution will cost $$$

(I'm not sure exactly how electroforming works) but maybe you could use the actual reflector as the tank and put something in the middle to take up some of the volume.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I make that 139L. That much solution will cost $$$

(I'm not sure exactly how electroforming works) but maybe you could use the actual reflector as the tank and put something in the middle to take up some of the volume.

That is a great idea! I've done a little electro-plating, myself...years ago, worked with a few different metals...maybe that experience will help.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll be out of daily internet use for a seek or so, will be able to check a few times. I'll be checking out the 36" Gorilla around the Desert SouthWest for some great Beam Shots!

LightSward

Al Combs

Enlightened
Monkeyboy's link sells 250ml of copper electroforming paint for £18. It's dilution ratio of 50:1 will make 12.5 liters. If your LightSport mirror has a volume of more than 1.5 liters, you still need 11 of the 100 ml bottles @ £198 or $317.02 + shipping at today's conversion rate. Also there's a chance in a container more than 25 times the size of the one they're selling might need a more powerful regulator and might not run off a car battery. But...

The also have a link for Copper Brush Plating Kit. To quote from that page, "if used in conjunction with the correct metallic you can also plate non-metallic items". I have no idea what that means but it sounds the same as the tank method. A lot more tedious because you have to sit there with an 'electric' paintbrush, but doable. They also say, "in the guide are details of how to make your own plating wands either detailing wands or larger sponge type wands". So you can replace the brush with a sponge to make it quicker. That kit only costs £34.50 ($55.24). Well then you need to buy a nickel or chrome kit as well. Nickel is the one they describe as like a mirror and is cheaper than chrome.

It definitely seems worth looking into. They must sell kits of this nature here in the states.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monkeyboy's link sells 250ml of copper electroforming paint for £18. It's dilution ratio of 50:1 will make 12.5 liters. If your LightSport mirror has a volume of more than 1.5 liters, you still need 11 of the 100 ml bottles @ £198 or $317.02 + shipping at today's conversion rate. Also there's a chance in a container more than 25 times the size of the one they're selling might need a more powerful regulator and might not run off a car battery. But...

The also have a link for Copper Brush Plating Kit. To quote from that page, "if used in conjunction with the correct metallic you can also plate non-metallic items". I have no idea what that means but it sounds the same as the tank method. A lot more tedious because you have to sit there with an 'electric' paintbrush, but doable. They also say, "in the guide are details of how to make your own plating wands either detailing wands or larger sponge type wands". So you can replace the brush with a sponge to make it quicker. That kit only costs £34.50 ($55.24). Well then you need to buy a nickel or chrome kit as well. Nickel is the one they describe as like a mirror and is cheaper than chrome.

It definitely seems worth looking into. They must sell kits of this nature here in the states.

Looks good. I may go this route if I can. I'm still using chrome tape, cheap fast and easy, but many manufacturers have a consistency issue with the shine. I'd like to try something like Copper Brush Plating Kit and getting a good mirror surface on that. Thanks for the tip.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ready to build the more precise concrete mold for the 26 inch LightSport. I am investigating several mirroring processes, possibly imbedding metallic particles into the concrete depending...Have oredered metallic kits...

4168121909_1b6d0be357.jpg

Proposed basic layout of LightSport is based on the highly successful Gorilla Searchlight.

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am hopefully building the 'beta' version of the "LightSport"! This will have three versions, plus light fixture and electronics or just the 'shell in the following versions:
(1)- Just the fiberglass reflector shape with no silvering or reflective tape or spray paint...up to the buyer what to surface it with...about $150.oo.
(2)- The reflector with the chrome tape as I have made all my reflectors up to this point...$250.oo +-???
(3)- the actual reflective surface professionally applied....$750.oo +-???

-----With electronics and bulb and base add $900.oo +-.

___So a totally awesome light could Total around; $1650.oo +- ...not a bad price...for such a totally awesome light!!!

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have built a 'solid' cement mold to mass produce the "LightSport" high performance searchlight. This should be totally portable...easily transportable and very powerful. If this first production prototype is a success, I will start taking orders...:thumbsup:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
The basic parabolic profile I designed is used in making the LightSport, as used in a CAD promo. Name recognition, no royalties. Have to start somewhere.:whistle:

6802935103_90bca7eb2c_z.jpg

Auto CAD 36 inch Gorilla AD

I am honored to see my Gorilla Searchlight and LightSport and Hawk basic design used in a CAD software ad.

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used the NightHawk, (which originated as a quick research study on manufacturing), as the base for the LightSport mold. Much of the outer diameter of the NightHawk is not actually grabbing much light and so by trimming this 'excess' off, I get the smaller, more compact LightSport!
:thumbsup:

6802935595_735bf11475_z.jpg

Searchlight readied for concrete mold making

Here the Nighthawk searchlight is readied for concrete mold making for duplication processes and smaller spotlights.

6802935847_f7a142ac85_z.jpg

Nighthawk searchlight is covered in a vinyl

Here the Nighthawk searchlight is covered in a vinyl cover to smooth out the ridges left over from the original manufacturing. A heat gun and some cutting got rid of the folds. A thin layer of painters plastic was used on top to protect the Nighthawk searchlight finish..

6802936011_9ab57fc350_z.jpg

Concrete is poured in thick, with re-bar reinforcement.

Concrete is poured in thick, with re-bar reinforcement. Mold weighs about 150 pounds making the eventual fiberglass reflector shell easy to pry off. I've removed mold, trimmed and patched the conrete, mostly glass smooth, but needs work, polishing and wax finish. I'll post when I get time to upload photos. :)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing this reminds me of an old story about telescopes on the moon. How do you make a parabolic mirror on the Moon? Mercury in a turntable. Naturally that isn't feasible here, but I would like to see what can be done with a rotating mold of reasonably-runny compound that will cure.

I think it's time to go to Ace Hardware to rig up a lazy susan and a kiddie car motor...

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
The picture of the concrete mold shows the underside, not the mold side.

I've been trying to discuss shipping and currency exchange rates with the electroforming, copper, nickel plating people in the UK, but so far contact is not easy and my attempt to purchase has failed, resulted in an automatic 'refund'...???. So I will look into American dealers that hopefully don't want $1,500 for a 'kit' like I've found do far.:eek:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing this reminds me of an old story about telescopes on the moon. How do you make a parabolic mirror on the Moon? Mercury in a turntable. Naturally that isn't feasible here, but I would like to see what can be done with a rotating mold of reasonably-runny compound that will cure.

I think it's time to go to Ace Hardware to rig up a lazy susan and a kiddie car motor...

I've been thinking of using candle wax with a rotating heated bowl, that has fully variable speed, and temperature control.

I have to admit, I am getting good and comfortable with my methods, and after working out some bugs, may have for me, an easy way to make reflectors. I am still gearing up for 'spinning' reflectors out of 'metal pucks'

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
The picture of the concrete mold shows the underside, not the mold side.

I've been trying to discuss shipping and currency exchange rates with the electroforming, copper, nickel plating people in the UK, but so far contact is not easy and my attempt to purchase has failed, resulted in an automatic 'refund'...???. So I will look into American dealers that hopefully don't want $1,500 for a 'kit' like I've found do far.:eek:

Hi

PM me the details for the UK company and I can see what I can do from this side of the pond. Let me know what you are wanting to buy and I can look into it !!!

Cheers
Pete

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

PM me the details for the UK company and I can see what I can do from this side of the pond. Let me know what you are wanting to buy and I can look into it !!!

Cheers
Pete

Thanks. I'll send that. Basically just a paint on copper conductive paint and Nickel and/ or Chrome mirroring plating kit. The reflector will be the solution tank itself.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have ordered some supplies that should allow me to 'mirror' the 26 inch LightSport searchlight without using the chrome tape. Fingers crossed.

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have ordered some supplies that should allow me to 'mirror' the 26 inch LightSport searchlight without using the chrome tape. Fingers crossed.

Hi

That's good :thumbsup:

Seems the fight over the pond is the problem with the noxious chemicals from the UK to the States.

Hopefully you will get some good results with the local kit.

Cheers
Pete

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

That's good :thumbsup:

Seems the fight over the pond is the problem with the noxious chemicals from the UK to the States.

Hopefully you will get some good results with the local kit.

Cheers
Pete

I've got the mold waxed and polished...now about to fiberglass and then hopefully the 'mirroring' kit will arrive soon to finish.