Newbie intro and help request: fixing a Fenix E10

Gord

Newly Enlightened
First off, hello to all. I'm a longtime lurker and first-time poster, and while I'm not quite as into flashlights as I am guns - yet - I can see it becoming yet another hobby to obsess over in short order. Right now, I appreciate lights most for the "gadget" factor, and so I tend towards the budget end of the scale, but someday soon I'm going to stop drooling over all these $200 lights and buy one of my own. It'll be downhill from there... ;)

Anyway, I picked up the Fenix E10, as did many of you, a while back when REI was clearing them out, as an intro name-brand LED light. My girlfriend managed to break the thing a few weeks ago while clicking it on and off rapidly - it "just stopped turning on" (no, I don't know why she would do that either... :rolleyes:). I'd been planning to simply ship it back to Fenix for repair, but if it's something I can fix myself I figure I may as well address it and save everyone some time, hassle and postage...

I've disassembled the light and used a screwdriver to short between the battery and flashlight body; it goes on no problem, with no flickering. The switch is the problematic part here; when I use the switch to try turning the light on, it will either come on momentarily (when the switch is fully depressed) or not at all. I disassembled the tailcap, wiped everything down, checked the soldering on the switch itself (all OK) and reassembled, whereupon I discovered that if I cranked the tailcap assembly back together tightly, the light won't turn off. :ohgeez:

Does this sound like something that can be fixed? My uneducated assumption is that the switch itself is busted internally; it clicks positively into the on and off positions and stays there, but I can't figure out why else it wouldn't be working normally after reassembly.

If any clarification, or some pictures, are needed, feel free to ask questions. Apologies in advance for my clunky terminology and explanation.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Hi gord! About the only thing I can think of is to make sure the retaining ring in the tailcap (holds the switch and rubber boot in place) is tight and everything underneath is installed properly. Was there a metal washer under the switch? Maybe slightly out of place? Sometimes they can be finicky about how tight (or loose) the retaining ring is. I have a PD31 that started acting a little weird. I tightened the retaining ring and apparently got it TOO tight, because when I screwed the tailcap back on, it wouldn't come on at all. I loosened the retaining ring maybe 1/8th of a turn and problem solved. After you find the sweet spot for the retaining ring, you might want to use just a touch of threadlocker on it so it stays put. On my PD31, I could feel the retaining ring moving as I tightened and loosened the tailcap. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.