I'm now thinking TWO cell "AA" Flashlight.....and here's why.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

First let me say I VERY much appreciate all the CPF members who have responded to all my other Flashlight seeking threads. I am learning a lot. As mentioned in earlier threads, I plan on buying several different types of Flashlights for different uses/reasons. Most recently, I was thinking about a ONE cell "AA" (perhaps CR123) as an EDC. However, today, I began thinking.....heck, I have been carrying a TWO cell "AA" Mini Mag light (Keys attached) for better than thirty years! I am just so use to having the Flashlight head stuck down into the pocket of my Jeans and/or (as if a handle) Flashlight carried in my strong side hand. During the Winter, I often place the Flashlight/Key combo in the pocket of my Flight Jacket or Coat. Point being, these methods of EDC carry are a part of my being. I am simply use to this carry method. The only problem is, (I'm being kind) the Mini Mag Light is outdated for my purposes other than a Key carrier and improv weapon. So, I'm going to now concentrate on finding a "AA" TWO cell Flashlight to which I can attach my Keys as is my norm. Now, I need only figure out WHICH Flashlight to replace the Mini Mag. So far, I'm liking the SUNWAYMAN & THRUNITE NEUTRON due to there simple UI and rear CLICKY switch (no more twisting of Flashlight head) and their range of brightness. Of course I am open to other Brand suggestions. Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
SixCats!

Last edited:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my Solarforce L2r. It's got a low voltage module and is plenty bright but wouldn't make a very good keychain light.

For a little more money the Fenix E21 is a great light too.

But if you're going for budget lights I like my Ultrafire C3 with 2xAA extension. It's really versatile because it's compact when you need it but if you need the extra run time and a little more brightness just screw on the extension.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You might change your mind about carrying around a 2xAA once you EDC a much smaller 1xAA for a while. But as long as that's your interest, the Thrunite would be very hard to beat as long as you're comfortable with the interface.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Fenix E21.

Also, Eagletac makes a x2 AA light, but I don't have any direct experience with their product.

You didn't mention a budget - my favorite 2-cell lights are either Surefires or Surefire/Malkoffs.

-Trevor

yliu

Enlightened
Sunwayman V20A is very nice, although pricey for a keychain light.

My top choiche would be the JetBeam BA20.

Ian2381

Enlightened
Sunwayman V20A is very nice, although pricey for a keychain light.

My top choiche would be the JetBeam BA20.

+1, The Jetbeam BA20 or Fenix E21 is on top of mine too, but if budget is not an issue, the thrunite or Sunwayman would be a better choice.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Tom,
Hmmmmm....... an interesting turn of events :). I won't make any direct suggestions at this point except to say that there are MANY 2 x AA lights on the market and most of them will give you excellent service, so mainly it comes down the UI, ergonomics (size, weight, balance, etc), and beam shape/tint.

Have fun!

tbone1993

Newly Enlightened
Hey, sixcats I am also a new member but have been in your same shoes recently. I once bought an inova x2 (that should be the 2aa version ) to repplace my min maglite and in lovedit. One year later I lost it and I was in search of a new light here of cpf. I chose the quark aa^2 turbo since I enjoyed the reveiws of it and what I was told here. After receving the light in no time at all I had a grin from ear to ear. The brightness out of aa2 light was ridiculous and in only a few days time I have used it from simple household tasks, to walking and fishing/light hiking. I do not find it to get in the way when I wear cargo pants.

I would honestly sugguest this light to anyone in search of an awesome 2 aa light. The best part is that if you do not care for the turbos larger emitter head you can go for the quark aa2 regular. I ffound 4sevens to be the best shipping and sent email updates throughout my order. I know I sound like a salesmen but I honestly just have been blown away by this light and now want to get in dark situations just to use it.

Napalm

Enlightened
Mhhh... 2xAA key chain light... I'm trying to visualize that... pretty much like the gas station washroom keys attached to a big stick so you don't put them in your pocket and leave with them by mistake... :thinking:

But since you asked... the Sunwaymans are very nice lights. I'll pick them over the Thrunites any day. Forward clicky vs. reverse, reinforced head contacts vs. PCB, magnetic ring vs. loosen the head and click through the modes.

If you're looking for the brightest 2xAA possible, check the Eagletac P20A2 with the XP-G S2 or XM-L modules. Although attaching a key chain to them is a little weird - you either attach it to the clip or you have to get the optional recessed tail switch.

Nap.

Last edited:

Rikr

Newly Enlightened
I have the EagleTac P20A2 XM-L T6, and I love it. It lights up everything. I use it for a EDC and I ordered the EagleTac T20C2 MarKII Cree XM-L T6
Hope this helps,
Rick

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love 2xAA lights, and my favorite two are - the Quark AA2 (regular UI) or the Fenix LD20. Both are great, but if I wanted to edc a 2xAA light then I'd probably get the Quark Mini AA2. It has a twisty switch, but it is bright & really small.

jbrett14

Enlightened
If you like a "simple UI" and a rear clickie I HIGHLY recommend the JetBeam BA20. Especially considering the cost.

I think you would love the output.

Jonny

flame2000

Enlightened
+1 for the JetBeam BA20, simple and affordable. The latest Klarus PA20 (2AA), has the same simple UI too.

Samy

Enlightened
I EDC my Klarus 2xAA. Don't even know it's there until you need it and then POW! 240 lumens at your service ;)

philsyson

Newly Enlightened
Might be a bit heavy but how about the Xeno Cube with Cree XML. It's a single AA or 14500

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get an Elzetta 3-cell ZFL-M60-CS3D which is the model with the Hi/Lo switch on the tailcap, giving momentary/on/off and brightness switching, all on the tailcap.
It offers the ability to turn it on in Hi or Lo, by twisting the tailcap to select the brightness level before you turn it on.
It has a great tactile "feel" clicky switch on the tail switch which allows easy and predictable momentary or clicky operation.
We already know you want the Elzetta, anyway.

Now, the 3-cell Elzetta has the same ability as a SF 9P, which means it will accept its normal 3 x CR123 cells for 9v operation with its Malkoff M60 drop-in module,
OR...., it can accept 2 x AA cells for 3v operation, and you'd buy an optional extra Malkoff M31 drop-in module for that use.
So......, you can use it with 3-cells the way it comes, and you can adapt it to use 2AA cells by putting in the M31 module, and using a pair of AA batteries. The battery stack is the same length with 2AA as it is with 3 x CR123. You just have to be sure that you use the right drop-in module with the right batteries.

The up-shot of it all is that you can use the same light with the CR123 batteries and the AA batteries with this layout, using the same body, and just switch modules and batteries when you want to.
And remember, the M31 will produce about 235 lumens off those 2AA batteries, so it's plenty strong, and gives good runtime too.
And when you want to use the M60, you also get 235 lumens with that, but it throws further than the M31.
And the Lo setting is 15 lumens with both modules too, and the M60 will run on Lo for about 60-70 hours off those 3 CR123 cells. Not sure how long the M31 will run on Lo off 2AA batteries.

And with the Malkoff modules compatibility, let's say you later wanted to run a Malkoff M91 off your 3 x CR123 cells, and have a pocket rocket with about 500 lumens OTF. You just get the M91 module and drop it in the head of the Elzetta, and then you have your pocket rocket.
Only the 3-cell models will give this versatility of all the battery options and all the module options.

So, you get it all with one light, and multiple configurations of battery types and drop-in modules.
And it is about the same length as a Mini-Mag Lite, but it's a little bit fatter.

So yeah, the whole shebang is going to cost you about $225, to get both configurations in an Elzetta.
But, you could easily pay $100 for a good CR123 EDC light, and another $100 for a good 2AA EDC, so it's not that much different in the end, and you get it all in one, with great quality.

It costs more than your current low budget, but it is worth it, and it gives more versatility, and is made in the US and is the highest quality.
Think about it.

Last edited:

Napalm

Enlightened
Get an Elzetta 3-cell

Let's up the ante to 4 cells, the Sunwayman M40A would be just right.

Later we can go 8 cells and discuss the merits of a full blown thrower (TK41) as a keychain light.

Nap. :sick:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's up the ante to 4 cells, the Sunwayman M40A would be just right.

Later we can go 8 cells and discuss the merits of a full blown thrower (TK41) as a keychain light.

Nap. :sick:

Except for the fact that I was still talking 2 AA cells, in a light that is exactly the size the OP said he wanted, and in fact the same size as most other 2AA lights.
Perhaps the nuance and technical info was lost on you.

However, if you'd like to carry around a TK41 for a keychain light, that might be your choice.
It has nothing to do with anything I wrote, or anything about the topic at hand.

Last edited:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
I second the klaus ST20 and you could try the ST10 for a single AA. But I would also recomend trying a LD01 or klarus X6 AAA light. I EDC a LD01 and semi EDC a pocket clip light for work, camping or if I know I'm going to be out at night, but for random shinanagins the LD01 is always there.

sappyg

Enlightened
i'm having a hard time getting my head around a 2AA keychain light but maybe it's me. then again, i don't care for 1AA keychain lights either.
i think were barking up a tree full of possums.