Show your modified headlamps... ?

robostudent5000

Enlightened
late last year, i was looking online for ways to make my River Rock 2AAA headlamps more useful when i stumbled onto CPF for the first time and discovered that headlamps could be modified. until then, i had no clue. so after reading through a bunch of old mod threads, i bought my first soldering iron, got some soldering braid, popped open my old Princeton Tec Aurora and proceeded to completely ruin it.

anyway, it took me a couple tries, but i got the hang of it eventually.

it seems like modding isn't as common now as it was a few years ago, and with the selection these days, it really isn't worth the time for most people. i could have just bought a Zebra H51Fw for all the time i put into modding an Eos with an XP-G and a floody optic. but i enjoyed modding my lights. and i enjoy using them, especially the River Rocks which i had all but given up on.

here's my collection of modified headlamps: all were inspired by posts found on CPF; i've posted pics of them before, but here they are together.

two Princeton Tec Eos w/ XP-G R2 5C1 and floody optic , two River Rock 2AAA mules w/ XP-G R4 4B, and a stripped down Princeton Tec Predator Pro with a Maglite Xenon bulb that i sometimes wear around my neck.
Edit (7/03): Duracell Daylite mod is no longer pictured. i harvested some of its parts to upgrade one of the RR mules and will probably use it as a host for an XM-L/18650 mod later.

(dead pic link removed)

if you have modified headlamps, please share pics. i would love to see them. the mods don't have to be extensive, just any change that made a light more useful.

Last edited:

tedh

Newly Enlightened
"...and proceeded to completely ruin it." That is the funniest thing I've heard on here in a while. And, strangely inspirational. I really like the idea of this thread, but have never done an LED mod. Maybe it's time...

Ted

borrower

Enlightened
Well, this probably doesn't qualify as a 'mod', but for the fact that there's a few petzl zoom parts buried within.

IMGP0151.JPG

Short story is that it's a premade housing from easy2led.com with a triple xpg 750 mA (integrated driver/led) from lux-rc.com, with parallel 18650s. Burn time for 1 battery (200g total) is 75 minutes.

There's more information/pics at http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=712601

My last test while running (with 2 batteries on the back) had it being a bit bouncy, but I'm going to replace the old headband and try and push the housing a bit closer to the forehead.

aas

Newly Enlightened
Heavily modded Tikka XP
(click on the thumbnails to see big images)
Sorry for my bad English :shrug:

1. Change the mode sequence from hi->med->lo to lo->med->hi:
1.1 Swap two transistors (blue arrows on the images). The transistor for the low level can't withstand high current.
1.2 Scratch PCB paths (red crosses).
1.3 Reconnect the transistors with corresponding resistors (red and black wires, yellow arrows).
As a side effect beacon now works on the low level. I don't care.

2. Change level values:
2.1 Remove one of two parallel resistors (magenta cross) to make the low level 2 times lower.
2.2 Scratch PCB path (cyan cross).
2.3 Add 8 Ohm resistor (green arrow) to make the medium level 1.5 times lower.

3. Change Luxeon LED to a high CRI SSC P4 glued to a piece of aluminum. It was quite tricky to adjust the distance between the LED and the lens for a good beam.

4. Change the black O-ring around the lens to a Glow-in-the-dark ring.

5. Make a beam more smooth:
5.1 Add a circle of DC-Fix film to the center of the lens (circle diameter=1/2 of the lens diameter). It reduces throw distance by approximately 13%, but makes smoother beam with better side spill.
5.2 Completely cover the diffuser with DC-Fix film.
:cool:

Last edited:

recycler

Newly Enlightened
only one so far, its so good i've not bothered with any more, i don't have any donor lights yet for another but the plan is there

2011-05-10175904.jpg

petzl duo, standard 3 mode cluster with zoomable xpg 3 mode with gitd for bling
it took a fair amount of head-scratching to say the least