SUCCESS - No more donut hole!

Tailcap

Newly Enlightened
Hello brother LED addicts. I just wanted to share my good fortune. I installed the orange peel reflector today in my Maelstrom G5 R5 and I now have a perfect light. I HATE DONUT HOLES, unless they are in a little box with powdered sugar on them. Anyway, it totally fixed the donut hole issue in the hotspot of the Maelstrom. Now I lost a little throw with the more even hotspot, but picked up nice spill which now makes this light a great hiking light with enough power to light way down the trail. For those of you fixated on throw, don't worry, the loss is minimal.

I know all the rave is on the new XM-L LEDs, but personally, I don't like the tint and will take an R5 any day. Besides, if I really notice the lack of, which I know I wouldn't, the extra 30-40 lumens, I will break out my ThruNight Catapult V2 at 1000 Lumens or if I want to jump a bunny at the other end of my 5.5 acres, I will flip on the Olight M30 Intimidator at 2200 Lumens.

I will try to post some beam shots later both outdoors and white wall of my success. My only question is why did I wait so long? lol..If you own a Maelstrom and don't like the donut hole of the smooth reflector, take my advice and spend the $9 to get the LOP reflector.

My lights make my life a little brighter! Life is good.

Sincerely,
Tailcap