Streamlight SL20XP Battery

PhillyRube

Enlightened
There have been a few posts about the crappy NiCad stick these lights have, and the high rate of failures. So today I decided to experiment. We go through these batteries like candy, so I pulled a couple out of the recycle pile and cut the sleeves.

Inside there are 5 sub-C cells, 21mm x 40mm. They have a small plastic insulator between cells. Now, the SL20XP-LED has two sleeves in it. Cut the top sleeve off, and there are two metal straps connecting the base cell with the top cell. That connents to a cap with insulator, so the positive is in the center, and the negative is on the outside. Cut the straps, remove the inner sleeve, and the cells are the same.

My question, do you think a couple of NiMH, namely 5, could be stacked inside the SL20XP? The TENERGY-SUB-C-3800-OPT, measures 23mm x 43mm. These also come in varying capacity up to 5000 mah. The other cell is the TENERGY-45TH-SC-1-2-2000, which is a sub C, but measures height 32.5 mm, and diameter 22.25 mm. Using the mentioned cells, you would need to make a small spacer or maybe extend the spring, but you would need to make up almost 2".

Thoughts??

PhillyRube

Enlightened
I did...wrong size, the ones they sell are for the older SL20s, fatter body (•6V, 3500mAh NiMH Battery stick is made of high quality matched NiMH 5 x 1/2 D).

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh... yours is the new hybrid light? :eek:

js was making battery packs back a while ago perhaps he could give you a few pointers, here's his old thread HERE ;)

BTW how do you find the new hybrid light? I had been contemplating one as an end of year purchase (work related tax deduction) :thinking:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at the xp model and decided in favor of the SL-20X-LED rather than the polymer model. I still have a couple of SL-20Xs as well.

Long term, this body has more potential for upgrades than the poly version, as it can deal with heat better. This will be of value for both incan and led upgrades.

It also uses the 5x sub C packs - mostly made possible with the extended tail cap design they use vs the non - LED sub light version with the 5x 1/2 Ds. Of course, this means I have to support two pack types now. :whistle:

For longer battery life - consider to use a hobby charger. I know that the SL charge cradles are handy, and fine for NiCds, but really hard on NiMHs.

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Streamlight 20XP batteries have lasted *years!* I've had very good service from them. Nicads can stand a trickle charge. NiMHs not so much.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Moved to Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included - Norm