Looking to replace Wolf Eyes Explorer, any suggestions?

gooseman

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I've been using a Wolf Eyes Explorer/Sniper as a handheld light for technical night-time trail running in the desert for about 2 years now. I use it along with a headlamp - I prefer both.

The pros of this flashlight, for my use, are:
* enormous hot spot, lots of flood. I don't like running with a tight bright hotspot in front of me.
* small enough to run with (well, more hefty than many edc lights, but still lighter than a water bottle).
* really bright, when needed - bright enough to investigate if an animal is seen within 50 yards (bobcat, mountain lion, etc)

The main problem I had using this light in AZ deserts, is that it simply gets too hot for continuous usage on high in the summer. Its also drop-in style design which I'm not fond of. So I would often have to use it on medium (the 30% setting).

The medium setting was OK for easy parts of the trail, but some technical spots I would want to use it on high, and it would immediately get too hot - and take a long time to cool down when returned to medium.

I'm looking for something modern of this size, or smaller, which has, most importantly:

* the same beam shape - described by Wolf-Eyes as "flood with medium throw", but its really just a large hotspot with the rest flood. The Explorer had an MC-E and a shallow reflector.
* using a newer technology, like XM-L i suppose
* good regulation on all settings, of course :) Should run at least 1 hour at 500 emitter lumens
* EXCELLENT thermal management, lots of surface area / fins. No drop-ins.
* have lots of preset brightness levels, or a system like JetBeams IBS so I can tune the brightness of the light for the ambient temperature in a way so that its as bright as safely possible without melting.
* single 18650 format.
* durable - I've fallen with mine in hand and crushed it
* smaller than something like an EagleTac M2.

The ambient temperature is often about 100'F.

btw, I also use a headlamp, but having a second beam (currently my Explorer) at roughly waist level is required to bring out details of technical trails, as well as the snakes :)

Thanks!

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main problem I had using this light in AZ deserts, is that it simply gets too hot for continuous usage on high in the summer. Its also drop-in style design which I'm not fond of. So I would often have to use it on medium (the 30% setting). Thanks!

You have a host of what I consider supreme build quality. Why not swap the dropin for one with an XM-L? The increased efficiency should reduce the heat, you choose the modes and output and current draw, and you keep the host you love. There are many folks here on CPF Custom who will happily make one for you. I owned the Explorer and it was my first real 18650 hiking light, and I agree that it is a bombproof host.

LEDAdd1ct