True 3000 Lumen XM-L Sky Ray

PandorasBox

Newly Enlightened
Okay im sure that title threw up some red flags but bare all with me.

Ive been reading about this light here
http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...en-3led-5mode-memory-flashlight-218650-p-7016

I have read that its driving each LED around 1A so its not putting out anything near its rating BUT what if I were to wire each LED in parallel with this driver?

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11409

That should be 3A per T6 LED making the trio 3000 Lumen :devil:

I am worried about the draw on the batteries however.
What do you guys think?

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
If its over rated ( probably due to the driver AND LED bins) what makes you think the KD driver isnt over rated too?

KD do have a 3 amp 3 mode driver and I have successfully run 3 XML's in series off of it from a 12v NiMh pack. I didnt actully measure the output current but I did measure the input and seemed about what I would expect.

But the biggest problem is that those reflectors will make for a very poor "sky ray".

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got mine today. It's very bright, but it can't be 3,800 lumens! It makes a great room lighter, but doesn't throw very well. Its floody and bright and slightly blue. It appears to be well built and worked right out of the.... shipping bag. It arrived from Manafont about 2 weeks after I ordered it. It's worth the $$$ if you like bright floody lights.
:candle:

aspirin

Newly Enlightened
If its over rated ( probably due to the driver AND LED bins) what makes you think the KD driver isnt over rated too?

KD do have a 3 amp 3 mode driver and I have successfully run 3 XML's in series off of it from a 12v NiMh pack. I didnt actully measure the output current but I did measure the input and seemed about what I would expect.

But the biggest problem is that those reflectors will make for a very poor "sky ray".

Hi,

is it possible that you measure the output from that driver to
confirm that the XMLs were optimal driven? And could you give
a link to the driver?

Thanks!

richpalm

Banned
Just got the Skyray 3 days ago. With my lousy night vision, I can still go for night walks using the low setting-only light I've ever had where low wasn't useless for me... so that's saying something. Driven hard or not, it blows everything else I own out of the water, including the triple 4.2A XPG dropins I built.

With the huge hotspot I can light up the area in front of me without having to pan all over. The light still throws further than I use, just by sheer output. Even on mid setting, it gets warm pretty fast so it still must be driven pretty good.

On two 18650's I got ~2.8A at tailcap FWIW. I figure the LED's are already wired in parallel, don't know.

I love mine! Keeper.

Rich

kneighbour

Newly Enlightened
Mine was DOA from Lightake. Only get about 100 lumens on high. measured tailclip current is 85mA on high, 55mA on Medium and 35mA on Low. Unusable on low or medium. Very disappointing. Still trying to resolve the issue, but the chinese stores are very un-co-0perative!