5000 Members Already?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marty, I just saw a member registered today is #5143 so we're fast approaching a higher number. Funny thing, almost any other compulsion(er, I mean hobby or appreciation) is transferable to flashlights. Anytime I meet someone who is a gadget kind of guy he is prime fodder for cpf.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marty Weiner -

Thanks for reminding me. I watch it. 5,500 Members by 2004. We should have 5,000 by October 10th.

I also noticed the membership count and member number out of sync. I go by membership count. It used to be only 2 or three off. I can't explain why it is that far off now.

Growth can have its pains as we have seen but I like it. It is harder to find posts but the quality and intelligence of new members we've got this year far outways the growing pains for me anyway. I would suspect it causes a lot of work for our moderators though.

I think one of the symptoms of flashaholism is a desire to show others how a better light can help them. Friday a memo went out from a co-worker that all IT members should be issue an LED light, maybe a little Eddie Bauer with focused lens. I was grinning hard. Weve been adding memory and helping the engineers doing installs. Everybodys want to use the MadMax the LGI II or the Arc AAA. My co-workers are slowly seeing what they can have and one has become a CPF member and proud owner of a Blaster III and a Blaster IV.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any way to know how many are "ACTIVE" members?
(Say in the last 30 days.) This would probally be of interest to our advertisers.

Greta

Flashaholic
Here's something for our advertisers... we've done 119 Gigs of bandwidth transfer for the month of September... and we still have one day to go.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
egads!thats a bunch of traffic.
god help cpf if we ever get slashdotted.
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Here's something for our advertisers... we've done 119 Gigs of bandwidth transfer for the month of September... and we still have one day to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
snakebite said:
egads!thats a bunch of traffic.
god help cpf if we ever get slashdotted.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know what it's like to be slashdotted, because it happened to me. If I remember right, my website used up more than 16 terabytes of data (bandwidth) in one day. And that was back in late 2000 before the website got REALLY big.

If CPF got slashdotted, the results would probably be disasterous. Digital Princeton's servers would probably crash and burn. They'd smell funny at very minimum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
From this site:

[ QUOTE ]
What is the "Slashdot Effect?"
When Slashdot links a site, often a lot of readers will hit the link to read the story or see the purty pictures. This can easily throw thousands of hits at the site in minutes. Most of the time, large professional websites have no problem with this, but often a site we link will be a smaller site, used to getting only a few thousand hits a day. When all those Slashdot readers start crashing the party, it can saturate the site completely, causing the site to buckle under the strain. When this happens, the site is said to be "Slashdotted."
Recently, the terms "Slashdot Effect" and "Slashdotted" have been used more generally to refer to any short-term traffic jam at a website.

We could conceivably cache pages, but that's a whole different ball of wax.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if anyone has a graph of the growth of the number of members over time. Just curious what the curve would look like.

Wilkey