For single AA EDC, anything "better" than ZL SC51?

Tuikku

Enlightened
Yet another AA-thread but forgive me, it´s my first :)
Could not resist to make a new thread, usually these threads get tons of great answers and tips!

I´m looking for a all-round 1 x AA EDC.
Not very familiar with AA-lights at all... Can only think of maybe Jetbeams new 1x AA (what was it called again, BK135??) or then Zebralight SC51

I know something, it has to do. List is quite long now, that I sit down and try to figure the most optimal setup:

-only clicky
-must have bezel-down clip, might also think a crab-claw clip (like iTP A1 SS has)
-floodier beam, XP-G or so. Throw irrelevant.
- tint not so important, warmish is best.
- PWM has to be high enough OR the better option, CC
- some modes. Does not need to be programmable
- If disco-modes hidden or not available = juuuuust great! :hitit:
- not a Zoom-light, got them already :whistle:
- I tend to like slim light over bulky ones. This is going to be EDC so I was thinking more of a slim choice to get it going with me. Too big means I probably won´t carry :shrug:

-clicky must be easily accessible by thumb!! (Akoray: example how to not do it)
-output not the most important, I can do in close work with 100+ or so.
-can also be a budget flashlight, is not going to be a real work, rescue or life saving flashlight (reliability not number one). Still, let´s not put a upper limit to price just yet :devil:

-Can clicky be quiet?? I remember using ZL headlights, they are more silent than regular clickies :sssh:
- got tons of Eneloops. Not planning to use alkies.
- no need to support up to ->4,2V necessarily (out of batts...)

So many restrictions and needs, sorry :ohgeez:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really liking my D11.2, the piston feel is great and almost silent, shortcuts to low and high. Beam profile is very nice mainly flood, tint is cool which I normally don't like, but outside it seems good. I didn't think I liked this light when I first got it but it's grown and grown on me. The size is perfect, just like the D10 was.

What impressed me most was efficiency though, on high mode it will run for 1.5 hours, according to my DMM calculation and taking into account regulation. So it competes with the H2 mode on the zebra H51/SC51. Now I thought the 51 series was meant to be the most efficient on the market, but according to ceiling bounce tests the D11.2 is noticably brighter than on H2 and actually brighter than H1 (though the H51 had a partially discharged eneloop in so not the full '200 lumen'). I would guess a true 145 lumen for 1.5 hours, which is outstanding really.

Ian2381

Enlightened
My Zebralights are just the best and efficient lights I have, I have a H51 and SC50w and Sc50+ on the way. High output with the best runtime you could get. But these lights are not as slim as you would want.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
I just did this exercise. I called Marshall at www.goinggear.com and spoke to him. Told him I was looking for the best 1AA flashlight and told him my choices. He told me flat out that the Zebralight SC51 was hands down the best single AA light he has (and he carries all the major brands, EagleTac, Fenix, HDS, 4Sevens, etc..). We bought it, it arrived and I will say that it is pretty darn amazing. 200lm all the way down to .2lm and well built. Also came with a headband for hiking and the lens uses Schott glass which is used in high end camera lens'. Thumbs up for this one. :thumbsup:
Check out the Youtube demo:

Last edited:

picrthis

Enlightened
The thing I don't like about the SC51 is 14500 Li-ion batteries are not supported, but that may not be an issue for everyone.

njet212

Enlightened
D11 v2 would be great ( but no clip has been made for it yet ) or sunway v10a ( no disco mode ) it's infinite brightness using control ring.

Tuikku

Enlightened
I'm really liking my D11.2, the piston feel is great and almost silent, shortcuts to low and high. Beam profile is very nice mainly flood, tint is cool which I normally don't like, but outside it seems good. I didn't think I liked this light when I first got it but it's grown and grown on me. The size is perfect, just like the D10 was.

What impressed me most was efficiency though, on high mode it will run for 1.5 hours, according to my DMM calculation and taking into account regulation. So it competes with the H2 mode on the zebra H51/SC51. Now I thought the 51 series was meant to be the most efficient on the market, but according to ceiling bounce tests the D11.2 is noticably brighter than on H2 and actually brighter than H1 (though the H51 had a partially discharged eneloop in so not the full '200 lumen'). I would guess a true 145 lumen for 1.5 hours, which is outstanding really.

This seems to be a good alternative to SC51, thanks for posting it!
Form is maybe more to my eye, if compared to Zebra, but it does not have the clip.
On the other hand, D11.2 is tailclicky, which I´m used to. Zebra is sideclicky, which I haven´t tested yet. It might be good, hard to say...
Efficiency is good in both, they also put out enough light for casual use.

I believe these are both about the same price, Zebra might be a bit cheaper.

:thinking:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Tuikku,
I've been looking for a light with similar specifications for several months now. I've been using a NovaTac 120P for EDC, but it's just a bit to thick at times, so I was looking for something more slender to replace it.

The Jetbeam PA01 is the current replacement for BK 135, and at just 17mm is just about perfect for a pocket carry light. I really do like the Zebralight SC51 series, but with the clip they are just as big as my NovaTac 120P. Same thing with the Spark 1xAA...... at 25+mm.... just to big for me.

The Nitecore D11.2, at 19mm, has my interest, but I've read quite a few posts relating to problems, and of course any warranty service needed requires a trip to China, arrrgh.

The Xeno EO3, at 21.5 mm, is interesting, and at a good price with excellent brightness level placement (at least with NiMh), but it hasn't been around long enough to know how durable it will be.

In any case, good luck with your search, I'll be watching this thread to see what you end up with.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Hi Tuikku (or Elwood),

To answer your question in the thread title; yes, for you there is something better than the ZL51...

The ZL51c.

Please see below for a line item explanation:

• only clicky (yes)
  • must have bezel-down clip, might also think a crab-claw clip (like iTP A1 SS has) (bezel down)
  • floodier beam, XP-G or so. Throw irrelevant. (The LUXEON Rebel is known to have a great hot spot to fill transition)
  • tint not so important, warmish is best. (4000 CCT, 85 CRI)
  • PWM has to be high enough OR the better option, CC (only the 63 and 0.3 Lumen output levels are PWM generated - and for me not visible)
  • some modes. Does not need to be programmable (3 main/8 total via one of the best UIs currently available).
  • If disco-modes hidden or not available = juuuuust great! (hidden 4 Hz strobe)
  • not a Zoom-light, got them already (nope)
  • I tend to like slim light over bulky ones. This is going to be EDC so I was thinking more of a slim choice to get it going with me. Too big means I probably won´t carry (at 22mm x 80mm, the smallest clicky available)
  • clicky must be easily accessible by thumb!! (Akoray: example how to not do it) (ergonomic side clicky)
  • output not the most important, I can do in close work with 100+ or so. (H1 130Lm; 0.9 hrs)
  • can also be a budget flashlight, is not going to be a real work, rescue or life saving flashlight (reliability not number one). Still, let´s not put a upper limit to price just yet (IMHO, a great value and reliable)
  • Can clicky be quiet?? I remember using ZL headlights, they are more silent than regular clickies (very quiet electronic soft-touch switch, with a 200,000 cycle operating life)
  • got tons of Eneloops. Not planning to use alkies. (optimized for eneloops)
  • no need to support up to ->4,2V necessarily (out of batts...) (not supported)
  • So many restrictions and needs, sorry (makes my recommendation easier)
You have the unique opportunity to own a truly remarkable light; the first affordable high CRI light from a well respected brand that meets your requirements almost perfectly. For beamshots, please see here (& continuing for a couple pages).

:thumbsup: - Jas.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty darn hard to beat Zebralight. The only other light I like is the Thrunite 1A warm. It needs a deep carry pocket clip though.

Tuikku

Enlightened
Howdy Tuikku,
I've been looking for a light with similar specifications for several months now. I've been using a NovaTac 120P for EDC, but it's just a bit to thick at times, so I was looking for something more slender to replace it.

The Jetbeam PA01 is the current replacement for BK 135, and at just 17mm is just about perfect for a pocket carry light. I really do like the Zebralight SC51 series, but with the clip they are just as big as my NovaTac 120P. Same thing with the Spark 1xAA...... at 25+mm.... just to big for me.

Hi Derek and thanks for good comments!
Thickness...
I would very much like to have a very slim-bodied AA to EDC. At the moment, it seems a bit distant to get all these specs meet. Thickness might be to one that I´m willing to compromise with.
Maybe getting also an iTP A3 SS for occasions, when the light must be really small and slim, could be a good choice :thinking:

Tuikku

Enlightened
Hi Tuikku (or Elwood),

To answer your question in the thread title; yes, for you there is something better than the ZL51...

The ZL51c.

Please see below for a line item explanation:

You have the unique opportunity to own a truly remarkable light; the first affordable high CRI light from a well respected brand that meets your requirements almost perfectly. For beamshots, please see here (& continuing for a couple pages).

:thumbsup: - Jas.

This thing about selecting a light just got a new twist... tint!

I kept it "simple" to just buy a led light, perhaps a bit warmish ledlight.
I was almost sure to get SC51 but now when I visit Zebralight web page (Haven´t visited for a while), I noticed they have regular, floody, floody-neutral AND now the High CRI SC51.

I have no experience on high CRI LED´s. It feels tempting to go with lumens.
Regular SC51 goes 1,7hrs on H2 when High CRI does about the same in quality lumens for 0,9hrs :thinking:
On the other hand, where do I need those extra lumens :thinking:

At the moment, I´m doing "just fine" with some ~under 10$ maybe 80lumen 1 x AA yet I´m thinking, does High CRI have enough power. Weird.

You know what?
Another weird thing is I bought 3pcs H51 Zebras for Christmas presents. None of them was for myself.

What the ___ was I thinking about then? :sigh:

It seems quite obvious, it´s going to be a Zebralight.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing I don't like about the SC51 is 14500 Li-ion batteries are not supported, but that may not be an issue for everyone.

Zebralight explained that they chose not to officially support 14500 because of safety concerns about some 14500 batteries. However, the SC51 works just fine with 14500s. It won't damage the light, won't overheat when run for extended time on that mode, and still works with regular AA afterwards. I mostly use 14500s in my SC51 as the light runs considerably brighter with them than with AA.

The only issue the SC51 has with 14500 is that the contact on the back of the driver is recessed in among some chips. This means that some 14500s have trouble making positive contact. I sometimes have this problem with my AW 14500s. This problem is easily solved by ejecting the battery, rotating it a few degrees and then reinserting. A few tries is all it takes. If you want a more permanent solution, you could buy a battery magnet.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
Forgive my ignorance but if the light functions better on alkaline AA's why would you get the rechargeable batteries when you can get 40 cells for $10 at Costco? Wouldn't that be a boat load of batteries by the time you buy the charger and a few rechargeables? Money wise and performance wise wouldn't you be better off (minus the green factor)? Not trying to be argumentative. Just a general question..

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
One of the great advantages to rechargeables is that you can recharge any time you want, instead of using the light with ever lower levels of available output, as I used to always do.

Tuikku

Enlightened
Forgive my ignorance but if the light functions better on alkaline AA's why would you get the rechargeable batteries when you can get 40 cells for $10 at Costco? Wouldn't that be a boat load of batteries by the time you buy the charger and a few rechargeables? Money wise and performance wise wouldn't you be better off (minus the green factor)? Not trying to be argumentative. Just a general question..

As far as I know, this model of Zebralight gives better output with Eneloops. With alkalines you get some less...

Besides, alkalines cost here about 2-3 times more (need only 5-7 cycles on Eneloop, to cover it up. They say they can go a bit longer.:naughty:)
I also hate when I usually run out when I need them most. Eneloops just go to charger and no need to haul them back to get empty ones recycled. :thumbsup:
I´m lazy and cheap, so they suit my needs well :duh2:

Tuikku

Enlightened
Good news!
"Play-money" has been arranged and there´s plenty enough funds to get a Zebra :devil:
(Got old broken TFT, soldered condensators for 5$ to it and Bingo, sold!)

Decision has to be made.
It´s going to be either one between SC51w or SC51c.

Your thoughts about SC51w? Any reason to get this "from the middle" or just go to either end: SC51 OR SC51c, max output or best quality in CRI?