Need some help with new 3P host?

Lion of Zion

Newly Enlightened
I just got a FiveMega "1x16340" 3P host and a Malkoff M31 in today. Well I put them together with a 6P bezel and a Z41 tail-cap. When I press the tail-cap I get a flicker sometimes, other times it comes on but dim, and others it works ok. I tried another Z41 and it does the same thing.

Using a brand new (tested at 100%) Surefire 123a.

I then I put on a tail-cap from an old G2 and it works fine:shrug: What am I doing wrong?

Will the G2 tail-cap be with a Malkoff M31?

Also, I was getting battery rattle, so I put a few, very small rubber bands around the battery. If this safe?

Thanks for the help!!! I'm a Newb and still learning:)

Last edited:

ykb

Newly Enlightened
I think there is not enough metal on the FM tail end to make consistent contact with your tailcap. If your FiveMega body is similar to mine, the body is very thin around the tail compared to, for example, a SureFire 6P.
The tailcaps may or may not work consistantly depending on how wide the 'disc' (the part which makes contact with the FM body) is. If you look into the tailcap, some 'discs' are slightly wider than others. The wider ones make a better contact than the narrower ones.
I hope that makes sense, and please bear in mind I may be wide of the mark :)

seahunt

Enlightened
Have you tried tightening the switch in the tailcap?
A tip learned here for troubleshooting, often works.

michelkenny

Newly Enlightened
The end of my 3P FM host that is supposed to make contact with the tail cap was uneven and didn't make a great contact with the tail cap. I would get flickering and sometimes it wouldn't turn on. I used sand paper to shave it down to make it even, works perfectly now.

Lion of Zion

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys!!! I will give theses a try! I know were to start to look to solve the problem.

Anyway, really love my little 3P clone. It's so cool, and the Malkoff M31 is out of this world.

Thank you once more for all the help.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the same problem with a Malkoff drop-in in a 6P host and the solution was to add a small stack of rare earth magnets to the end of the battery. DX sells a variety of such magnets that are excellent for this purpose such as SKU 5962, (10mm) SKU 5964 (12mm) or other diameters (all in ten packs). I always keep some around.

Last edited:

Lion of Zion

Newly Enlightened
I've had the same problem with a Malkoff drop-in in a 6P host and the solution was to add a small stack of rare earth magnets to the end of the battery. DX sells a variety of such magnets that are excellent for this purpose such as SKU 5962, (10mm) SKU 5964 (12mm) or other diameters (all in ten packs). I always keep some around.

Thank you!!!!

Latest posts