Can anyone help locate ahigh lumen light for lighting mountains for night photos

dta116

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a long throw high lumen light for photographing mountainsides at night to light paint. A light with a natural color temp (not blue), maybe a bit on the yellow side. Even one with pure white as long as it won't shift the balance. I would like to see in the photo what I see in the daylight. Actually a warmer light tends to do better in print.

Thanks.

j2k

Newly Enlightened
You could try something like a Thrunite Catapult with neutral led, but I think you might be better of with a HID light in this case - better color rendition for photos.

dta116

Newly Enlightened
I believe 18,000 lumens a bit much.....maybe if we stick to a smaller handheld, around 1500-2000 lumens...

Man, that is one hell-of-a light....

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try something like a Thrunite Catapult with neutral led, but I think you might be better of with a HID light in this case - better color rendition for photos.

YES!

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I'm a pro photographer and I use flashlights to light exterior architecture shots... My best light for this purpose is a Torchlab Triple XPG in neutral tint powered by 2x18650 cells. But of course as a triple this light isn't a thrower. To reach mountainsides you would need SEROIUS throw, something like a HID, or perhaps an Olight SR90 (although its cool tint which is nasty in photographs). At minimum you should try the Thrunite Catapult V3 in neutral tint, but even they you'd be distance limited to a few hundred meters at best.

dta116

Newly Enlightened
So, if I recap, I should be looking for a long throw, high CRI, neutral to warm tint light.

I think an HID would be too blueish, and an LED also too cool. so maybe a 12v battery operated 150W spotlight would be a better choice.

Does anyone have any ideas on that?

JacobJones

Enlightened
I recommend finding a halogen spotlight with a 12volt SLA battery and buying a 35 watt 4300k car HID kit for it. 4300k is deffinetly not blue, it's actually warmer than sunlight. Should work pretty good depending on the size of the mountain (it won't be any good for Mauna Kea or Everest), should be good for small mountains. The Cyclops Thor is pretty good for HID conversions, you can fit upto a 75 watt ballast inside it.

A halogen spotlight would probably be too yellow for natural looking photos.

Wonder why nobody replied to your last post

clint357

Newly Enlightened
About how much throw do you need, and will you have a vehicle by your side? I'm wondering because you could get a couple of 35w HIDs for about $150 each that would do a pretty nice job. Also, what kind of money are you looking to throw at this light?

Latest posts