"Turbo" head?

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

At what point would you consider a head to be a turbo-head (either mini or full)? Is there an explicit ratio between circumference of battery tube to the head?

So let's say anything that is between 25-50% larger than the tube is mini-turbo head and then anything that is >50% larger is a full turbo head?

For example:
Battery tube = 1" and Diam. of tip of head is 1.25 -1.50 = mini-turbo head
and if Diam. of tip of head is > 1.5" = turbo head

Is there an accepted general consensus around this?

Thx!,
Tim

tolkaze

Enlightened
If a light comes in two sizes, normal and turbo, the turbo is the larger one. That is currently the only designation.

I have a turbo headed light that is smaller than another lights standard head.

You wouldn't be able to designate a format, or all catapults and tk30 style lights are automatically turbo heads, while something like a 6v lantern is a normal light (even though it has at least a 4" reflector.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire classifies turboheads at 2.5 inches in diameter (3 inch turboheads long gone), so other than surefire, I don't think theres a criteria a manufacturer uses for classifying turboheads other that having a head larger than normal, thus classifying it "turbo".

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so it's really to the mfg's or our discretion then as to what is a turbo. I was writing up another review and didn't really know where to classify this one (1.53" head to 1" body) but to me it qualifies as mini-turbo head. =)

Cheers,
Tim

TomnAl

Newly Enlightened
Turbohead or turbo means a stock or base of the light is equip with a reflector increased in diameter and deepth the optimize for throw or to extend the reach of the beam !