Why is Surefire so pricey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scout24

Flashaholic
Years of developement and refinement. Bombproof. Awesome warranty with no extended wait for service. Versatility and lego-ability. The fact that so many are willing to spend hard-earned dollars on them speaks volumes. As FM said, buy and use a few, you'll get it. For the record, I'm nobody's fanboy, if it's quality, and works, I'm all over it. I've got an even dozen Fenix EO1's scattered here and there, and in daily keychain use, for abuse proof AAA emergency lights, at a whopping $12.50 each... I've also owned way more lights than I should have that make SF's seem like bargains... :)

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah this same question has been brought up more times here than anyone really cares to think about.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Much info on this topic for the looking. Use google,cpf only at the top of each page. Most threads dealing with the price of SF's become sort of "closed" in short order, due to negative posting by some of our members. Let us keep on topic here, and discuss Surefire lights, and issues relative to their pricing.

Bill

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Amazing... I'm gone for several months and this question still gets tossed around.

-They are USA made in Southern CA. There (almost) is no more costly industrialized country to manufacture something than the USA. There (almost) is no more costly state to manufacture something than CA.
-Lifetime warranty, and replacement parts (except switch boots and incan LAs... IIRC).
-Original patent holders for all their designs. Surefire pioneered the "tactical flashlight" industry. Prior to Surefire tactical lights (as an industry) didn't exist. Its costs more (much more) to research, develop, field test and pioneer something than to copy/clone it.
-US military contracted supplier, Berry amendment compliant.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we go again.....

(Google search is your best friend)

coyotehawk

Newly Enlightened
Most surefire items are made for tactical use aren't they? Does the government have a contract with them?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire lights are highly reliable and until recently..... highly lego-able! The Surefires I have have been flawless and have always exceeded my expectations. Get a new Surefire and you don't have to tweek anything, clean anything, or fix anything--it just works!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Build the best"

John Matthews, Founder/CEO of Surefire, motto. The best Emitters, the best O-rings, the best glass/optics, the best finish, the best materials. Assembled the best, inspected the best (QC). This cost money. They don't cut corners to save/make money, because they know peoples lives depend on these lights.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Surefire lights are highly reliable and until recently..... highly lego-able! The Surefires I have have been flawless and have always exceeded my expectations. Get a new Surefire and you don't have to tweek anything, clean anything, or fix anything--it just works!

This for me personally is the main attraction, just turn it on and forget about it... it WILL work EVERY time. Surefire + Malkoff is as reliable as it gets.

A lot of the simpler Fenix lights are kind of the same way... TK20, E21, L1T. OOps did I just mention Fenix in this thread?

john-paul

Newly Enlightened
I had a big paragraph typed out, but it was clunky and not very fluid.
So here are the highlights

-High quality costs more
-Dependability is worth more
-They sure are neat looking
-Definitely worth the higher price

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I just don't get it why is Surefire so pricey!
I just don't get why someone would join a forum about flashlights when they don't understand why some of them cost more than others.

I don't know why Surefire costs more, so let's start some threads to make them lower the prices. Oh, you may want to avoid threads about McGizmo and Spy 007's and Tri-V's too. I wish they'd close threads that have nothing more to say than to ask a whiney question.

AaronG

Enlightened
Higher labour and operating cost because they are based in the states. Also lifetime warranty is very expensive.

I won't touch the Fenix vs. Surefire quality issue with a 10 ft pole :D

Xacto

Enlightened
Because producing quality with qualified workers in conditions that have a certain quality costs money. And I am gladly willing to pay that money, knowing that I have a great warranty and CS if necessary.

Cheers
Thorsten

And Surefire is a household name. Its like Rolex - a cheap Casio can tell you the time just as good, but the Rolex just feels better. So in our case, compare a Surefire 6P with a Solarforce L2 and tell me which one feels more bomb proof.

Last edited:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
This thread and a thread in the Peak subforum have me wondering how many of the brands that are well known on CPF are actually manufacturing their own lights. I don't think that there are many, Surefire is one.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
We've had this discussion before, many times. There's no advantage in revisiting it now.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.