Emergency flashlight - 150$ max

HayabusaP226

Newly Enlightened
Hi

As says in the title , I'm looking for an emergency flashlight and my budget is 150$ max
When I say emergency , I'm talking about something to keep inside the house and car , to use only when\ if #### hit the fan
I'm not going to EDC , so I don't care about weight or carry , only horsepower (aka lumens) and reliability

I don't know nor understand a lot about flashlight , but I a searched a little bit and found that the Fenix models are getting great reviews and provide the most powerful flashlight for the buck
The models I looked at are the TK35 and TK41 .
The TK35 look great , and is actually cheaper and has few more lumens then the TK41 , but it also use different\exotic batteries , and I really don't need that nonsense in a flashlight I plan to keep and use for emergency , so I think the TK41 that use regular batteries is much better for my needs

Is there any other good flashlight at this price range that are comparable or better then the TK41 ?

Thanks

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
Welcome to the forums.

There are a lot of lights that may fit your usage and budget. You might want to start with the Reviews section.

I don't know what what your definition of SHTF is, but my first thoughts are that getting the "most powerful flashlight for the buck" doesn't really align with this usage.

When I think emergency use, I think of the following:

- reliability: manufacturer's and dealer's reputation for support
- battery type: best storage for long periods and availability -should an "event" be very widespread or long lasting
- runtime: how long on a set (or 1) battery

the last thing on my list on priorities for SHTF is lumen output.

There are many decent flashlights that fit the category and remember, having 2 flashlights is like having 1 and having 1 is like having none.

- Good luck.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emergency: OK.

First I'd get 2 or 3 Led lanterns at Wal Mart or any similar store. I like the yellow 3AA model It run forever on a set of batteries. $10 each. $30 spent

Next, get 2 Xeno E03 single aa lights from Tactical Hid. http://tacticalhid.info/e03 DO not get the XML light...short runtime. Also get a diffuser for each light. THese are 3 level lights, and will run all night on the low setting. With the diffuser it's a great night light for the bedroom...and also great for camping! $80 spent.

Now get one of the Fenix 2 AA lights.

Great combo....depends on how many in your family.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Closet Flashaholic. For this type of light I would want CR123, AA, or AAA batteries. You need high quality batteries for shelf life. Quality CR123s are Surefire, etc. and the AA and AAA batteries I would go with Energizer lithiums. Runtime wise you need to have efficient electronics and a moonlight mode, somewhere around 1 lumen and below. Reliability wise, you should never rely on only 1 light in emergency situations, but most of the lights discussed on CPF are reliable. I like the Quark AA^2 lights. I have 2 in the house for power outages.

Toaster

Enlightened
I would rule out any light that has:

1. Parasitic drain - Even if avoidable by LOTC, it's an unnecessary issue to deal with. There are plenty of good lights to chose from without this hassle.
2. Battery carrier - If you break it or lose it, you're screwed.
3. No low modes - Long runtime at low output is what's most important in an emergency.
4. Poor water resistance - Assume at some point or another your light is going for a swim.
5. No Strobe/SOS mode - Could save your life in an emergency.

Forget the TK41. Better to have two or three 2xAA lights stashed in various places than to put all your eggs in one light. I would probably stick with Fenix or 4Sevens lights as they have a proven track record of reliability and efficiency.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...are you mroe concerned with out-put (which seems the most important to you, from what I gather) or run time???

parkerdude

Newly Enlightened
Hi HayabusaP226,

Big bikes and Sigs right?

I'm a NOOB here, but I've been a flashlight nut most of my life. I drove taxi's, limo's and corporate busses for years, quite often at night and I always had a light.

I have learned:
Really bright light have a limited set of uses, you can't read a map by one, and they have limited run-times.
Extended run-times have real value, like when the lights go out in the middle of your shift and you need 4 - 6 hours of light.
Some low light (20 - 50 lumens), fulfill many of my needs, with the ability to bump it up to something higher, for the few times I really need the reach.

I like 3 mode LED's, in P60 hosts. With the right choice of drop-in module you can cover a lot of needs. They will use CR123's, (for long shelf life), 18650 Lithium's, (for hours of use), some will even use AA's with a battery carrier.

You don't want a 200 - 300 lumen light inside your home when things go bump in the night, you'll be night blind from the reflected light.

You might even add some small EDC (ever day carry), something to your pocket/briefcase, to tide you over until you reach your Master Blaster.

Keep reading here, I'm learning TONS of stuff :cool:

Good Luck!

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with parkerdude and can't recommend anything in the output category that you are considering for $150 or less.Do you you really need that much output? For an emergency reliability and runtime are bigger issues than max ouput IMO.A Malkoff MD2 with an M61 (I actually prefer the warm versions but YMMV) and a high/low ring will still give you over 200 lumens in very reliable light with a lower mode for back-up.I know you are concerned about the use of "exotic" batteries but CR123s can be purchased online for a reasonable price.Common alkaline AA batteries are a no-go in any emergency light for me as they leak too often and can render your light useless.If you do get a AA light make sure you get one that can use lithium AAs.I would also recommend that you carry some sort of EDC,it could be as simple as a Fenix EO1 with a lithium AAA. At least you would have a secondary light with you all the time in case you are seperated from your main light when a crisis occurs.One is none, two is one - a well known motto around here.

Last edited:

pistolsnipe

Newly Enlightened
for me the best light is a 9p length body which can accept larger 18mm cells. put a malkoff low or low low dropin in it and you are golden. when the malkoff dropins get lower than their input voltage (3.6v i think), they drop out of regulation and keep working. that means that you can use 2xaa, 2x18500/17500, 3xcr123/16340/17340/18340. if you want to get a spacer, or just wad up aluminum foil in a pinch, you can also use any 17650/18650 cell.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Power is not really a concern for an emergency light.

For the house, I'd recommend a cheap maglite LED 2D. Buy 4 x D duracell alkalines and store them out of the maglite in case they leak. D maglites are extremely reliable.

For the car, something smaller would be preferable so it doesn't take up too much space in the glove compartment. A head torch maybe more useful. CR123 lithium primary have good shelf life and tend not to leak. I'd recommend Zebralight or SF saint minimus depending on budget. Could be useful to keep a spare battery in a watertight container too.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget the TK41. Better to have two or three 2xAA lights stashed in various places than to put all your eggs in one light. I would probably stick with Fenix or 4Sevens lights as they have a proven track record of reliability and efficiency.

While I own a TK41 and really, really like it, I would have to agree with this statement for an emergency, "Oh No" light. Too many batteries needed at once, and too big and heavy for continuous use. There are too many other great AA lights that will fill your needs perfectly, and in my opinion any of the newer R5, S2, XM-L emitter lights are more than bright enough for anything short of spot light needs. Choose a double AA light that's water resistant, has one or two low modes, made from a durable material, has no parasitic drain, and stick a couple of energizer lithiums in it. Is a matter of fact, I have one in my emergency kit in my car. A Fenix LD25.

Oh, and Welcome To CPF!

Last edited:

Napalm

Enlightened
Hi
When I say emergency , I'm talking about something to keep inside the house and car , to use only when\ if #### hit the fan

As other posters have suggested, it is better to have several lights spread around the house and car(s). If you're left in the dark in your basement, the TK41 in the car's trunk won't help you.

I'd look for some decent but inexpensive 2xAA lights, one for each house floor and one for the car. The Maglite 2xAA LED lights are a good entry point, especially when on sale.

You can add the TK41 to this setup and keep it where you think it would be most useful. I.e. if you plan driving at night or out of the city take it with you, but if you're just going getting the groceries at 6pm during summer, it won't be necessary.

Nap.

pathalogical

Enlightened
The best flashlight is the one you have on you all the time in case poop happens. That light will get you to where you have all your other stuff. A single AA multi mode LED light will get you there.

Napalm

Enlightened
The best flashlight is the one you have on you all the time in case poop happens. That light will get you to where you have all your other stuff. A single AA multi mode LED light will get you there.

Make it AAA for me. I've never been happy with AA as EDC. It's fine in a bag or pouch or coat pocket but not in the jeans pockets. And I'm not going to wear baggy pants in order to alleviate this.

Nap.

Last edited:

alpa2500

Newly Enlightened
For around $40 you could get a Energizer Night Strike. Not top of the line by any means but a good overall light for an emergency.

From Energizer's site:

Type: ENS2G21L

• Head swivels 130° and stands for hands-free use
  • 100 Lumen max output
  • 13 light modes – white (high, medium, low), red (high, medium, low), blue (high, medium, low), green (high, medium, low) and ultraviolet (405 nanometers)
  • Waterproof
  • Survives 10 foot drop test

parkerdude

Newly Enlightened
Hey HayabusaP226,

After I slept on it I had the thought, sounds like you're becoming an EDC guy, looks like some of our flashlight friends had the same idea.

New thoughts. In my home state CCW license are available. I carry 1 of several single cell EDC lights. I like AA sized lithium lights that are small and bright, easy to feed. They work well enough to get me back to my "bug-out bag", where I find MY RESUPPLY. It's a kid's book-bag filled with all the goodies I think are worthy of 3 - 5 days of SHTF.

Bigger everything. P60 based light, batteries for both, ammo, rain gear, water... You get the idea.

So. I respect your opinion. What kind of, or how much sh*t are you anticipating?

Thanks for your thoughts.