3watt Mag D Rebel heatsink design

las3r

Enlightened
Hey guys im looking to design a heatsink for a 3watt Mag D that they sell at walmart...

my question is does it make any difference if i go with a flat service heatsink compared to a heatsink with a round nub in the middle that sticks up a few MM ????

ill have few other ideas added to the heatsink but

For me ill be using a XPG-R5 led on a star

and my other build

a Cree XM-L T6 Led on a 14MM base

any ideas u might have ect...please post

Last edited:

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Re: 3watt mag D heatsink question

Depending on the design of the reflector you intend to use, a flat heat sink - which will mean that the LED will be fixed at the bottom of the reflector - may not give the desired beam pattern/best throw.

Placing the LED on the tip of a post that can pass through the hole in the reflector gives you the opportunity adjust the location of the LED within the reflector to achieve the desired focus and hence beam pattern.

las3r

Enlightened

Here is my prototype for a Mag D Rebel that will be for sale in a week or 2 its made out of 6061 aluminum and will fit a (T-6 emitter and XPG-R5 and any other that is no larger than 14.45MM because thats how round the base is

some pictures sorry if they suck they are from my phone

next to a H22A heatsink (more than 1/2" of the heatsink is solid aluminum)
design3.png

Left is mine Right H22A
design1.png

XPG-r5 on top
design.png

T-6 fits perfect also

design6.png

Fits in the mag

design5.png

design4.png

if anyone has a idea change please post beam shots soon to come when finished :)

Last edited:

las3r

Enlightened

the weight is 2.50 oz if needed to no

JamisonM

Enlightened

las3r, will this allow me to use the rebel maglite reflector and focus it properly as well as let me screw down the head just past the o-ring? How much space is left between the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the switch that's had its cam shaft cut off and sanded flat? Because of the difference in the amount of threading for the head on newer maglites (rebel and XR-E) to screw onto, are these compatible with both older and new maglites? Oh, and how much do you think you'll be offering these for?

Norm

Retired Administrator

Hi las3r I'd be interest in one of each (depending on price) when you get things sorted out.
Norm

las3r

Enlightened

las3r, will this allow me to use the rebel maglite reflector and focus it properly as well as let me screw down the head just past the o-ring? How much space is left between the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the switch that's had its cam shaft cut off and sanded flat? Because of the difference in the amount of threading for the head on newer maglites (rebel and XR-E) to screw onto, are these compatible with both older and new maglites? Oh, and how much do you think you'll be offering these for?

Yes this will allow u to use the REBEL REFLECTOR :) and be able to focus it...im 95% positive they will work on the older mags ill have to check to make sure ...but i do have a blue 3D mag and its a tight fit but with a LITTLE sanding on the inside it will work with 3D host... i also have a 2D blue mag and it slides in perfect

if anyone can get me the ID of a old host ill see if it works for sure

and for price ill post back on that because i still have a few ideas in my head that i might add to this heatsink :)

for the SPACE between the 2 (heatsink and the Switch) about 10mm to 12mm would that be enough for u guys ??? if not i can change that

simplec6

Enlightened
Put me on your list as well assuming price will be fair. Will you make a flat top one as well for triple builds?

las3r

Enlightened
once im done with this design for 1 emitter ill come up with one for more than one :)

LilKevin715

Enlightened
If I remember correctly the newer mag rebel reflectors have a opening of around 13mm instead of around 14.5-15mm for the incan reflector? If so then the stock reflector will have to be modified (opening widened) in order for the heatsink pedestal base to fit through.

las3r

Enlightened
for the rebel reflector u have to cut the cam off and sand it down just a hair, another idea i had was to sell pre cut reflectors by me so they fit perfect with these heatsinks and u guys dont have to bother with it

moderator007

Enlightened
Jabe1 i believe is correct 12.9mm. The rebel reflector is some what longer too. I have made several of these heatsinks with xm-l. The center post will have to be close to 12mm. I use 14mm board and sand it down to 12mm.
When i make mine, the lip around the top has to be angled down towards the center post. I try to match the angle of the reflector.
The reason i say this is because the reflector will hit the sides of the heatsink before being at the focus point if you dont angle it.
With out being angled you can get it focused but you will have the o ring on the body to head showing. Be careful when angle cutting it
as it will have to be pretty thin at the lip to give you a decent amount of screw down for the o ring not to show.
Some of the maglites have a longer threaded area where the head meets the body. These are about a 1/4 or better longer. The only way i got it to work with that mag was to cut about a 1/4 inch of the threded end of the body. This allows the head to screw on completely covering the o ring. Good luck las3r.

Last edited:

moderator007

Enlightened
I just seen your last post as i was posting. If you cut the reflector down to except 14mm boards then you may not have to angle cut it.
You'll just have to try and see.

las3r

Enlightened
yes ur correct i just went for a wider center post so u can have some room if u wanted to use a little larger star or something

also i thought it would be easier to sand the reflector to fit the 14mm board than sanding around the board and making it 12mm ill try it out and post my results but thanks for the tips

moderator007

Enlightened
The important part is getting the led focused with the o ring covered.
Thats what is so hard about making a heatsink with a rebel reflector.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will a recessed pocket be machined on the bottom of the heatsink to install a driver
10mm to 12mm seems a little tight to me, especially with the Chinese made
double stack boards.

las3r

Enlightened
the bottom will not be flat it will have room to fit 2-3 drivers