Nite Ize upgrade for Mag 2AA...link inside is it worth it ?

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
a) http://www.niteize.com/collections/flashlights/products/led-upgrade-2 ---> $10

b) http://www.niteize.com/collections/flashlights/products/led-upgrade-combo-2 ---> $11

c) http://www.niteize.com/collections/flashlights/products/1-watt-l-e-d-upgrade-ii ----> $19

Number a and b are the same expect b it also has the switch

c is more lumes.

I have seen the regular incandescent 2AA for about $8 so with the b option brings it to $20.
is this combo worth it ?

How about c is that worth it at about $30 ?

What you guys experience ?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you really want a 2AA mag, then I would spend a little more and buy a different light. There are so many choices out there to spend your money on a good flashlight.

shark_za

Enlightened
They are only worth it if you already have the old 2AA and want to breathe some new life into them.
I would never buy an old incan just to upgrade it. Ok maybe if I wanted a camo one ;)

2x of my 2AA's have the "combo II" and are great for leaving in the toolbox, around the garage, in the kitchen drawer on the windowsill near the back door. etc.
The focus needs to be right on the last threads for it to give an ok beam, good thing there is a tail-switch as you would want to leave the head in this spot permanently.

but remember, once added its only as good as a really cheap Chinese torch. Great if you have an old sentimental Minimag, bad idea if you are starting from scratch.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience with nite ize products has not been good. I've seen 2 of their mini mag LED drop ins fail and a clicky switch fail right out of the package.

popedandy

Newly Enlightened
I don't think it is worth it. I upgraded one light using the kit. It was an improvement, but when there are plenty of much better lights available for not that much more money, it doesn't make sense to spend money on an upgrade.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience with nite ize products has not been good. I've seen 2 of their mini mag LED drop ins fail and a clicky switch fail right out of the package.
It's interesting that you posted this. Have you tried contacting Nite Ize's CS to see if they would replace the defective items or not? My experience with their CS has been top notch, even better than my experience with SureFire's CS.

As noted by others before me, those Nite Ize drop-ins and accessories for the Mini-Mag are only worthwhile if you already have one. If you are thinking of getting these to jazz up a Mini-Mag that you don't already have then there are other choices that would perform better for about the same or slightly more money.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have experience with those Nite-Ize drop-ins but they don't seem that impressive.I do have the TerraLUX TLE-5EX drop-in and have been impressed with it as a Mini-Mag drop-in.The TLE-5EX works best paired with the TerraLUX TCS-1 switch.I also have several Nite-Ize switches for the Mini-Mag and don't care for them.There are some decent LED lights in the same price range but the old Mini-Mag still offers some worthwhile features IMHO.There are a lot of accessories widely available for the Mini-Mags and you can still replace the lens easily,a difficult to near impossible task on many LED lights.Best of all you can buy a complete replacement body for $8,a nice feature if you intend to use leaky alkaline AAs.The main drawback with the Mini-Mag/Drop-in combo is the lack of heat management making it unsuitable for long extended runs.

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting that you posted this. Have you tried contacting Nite Ize's CS to see if they would replace the defective items or not? My experience with their CS has been top notch, even better than my experience with SureFire's CS.

As noted by others before me, those Nite Ize drop-ins and accessories for the Mini-Mag are only worthwhile if you already have one. If you are thinking of getting these to jazz up a Mini-Mag that you don't already have then there are other choices that would perform better for about the same or slightly more money.

The dropins and switch weren't mine, they were someone else's. I have never contacted their customer service so I can say anything about that.

dex138

Newly Enlightened
I just had one of my 1.5 year old IQ switches pack it in, so I filled out the warranty claim form on their website, and literally within minutes I had a reply from them advising me that they were sending me a replacement! no request for proof of purchase, nothing! On that note I have to say that their customer service is fantastic! A1!

I have to agree that to go out and buy an AA Mag just to do this conversion? you could better spend your money. But, if you have an old one to resurrect this is the way to go. This modded AA works better than Maglite's retail AA LED version, IMHO.