Dark spot on SST-50

forexer

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

The SST-50 emitter in my catapult developed a dark spot in the center recently. What's the possible cause? The LED is nowhere close to being overdriven. No water seeped in. The dome is totally intact. The only suspect is a burn of the phosphor.

Few months back, i shown a 24W HID directly into the catapult's head and that might have cause the dark spot. But the dark spot on appeared recently, there wasn't any spot right after the HID shine.

Forexer

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible the emitter moved in relation to the reflector, say from a bump or a drop? Did you disassemble the light? Other than the emitter being defective I can't think of anything else.

forexer

Newly Enlightened
Nope, emitter did not move neither did the reflector. I did not fiddle with the innards when the spot came about. Nothing much i'm just curious as to the cause of the spot, thats all :)

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, It's not unheard of for an emitter to go bad. I don't know what else could cause the dark spot.

Timson

Enlightened
It may have always been there and you have only just noticed it...
I have a slight dark spot on my Catapult V2 when white wall hunting - not noticeable in practical applications.

Tim