Pocket clip for Mag XL50

wiz4769

Newly Enlightened
Did anyone find a pocket clip that didnt cost $25 and would not affect the power if used on the tail end? I really like this light but it really needs a clip....

wiz4769

Newly Enlightened
Also has anyone replaced the lens with the glass? If so did it make a difference?

Seems like with a clip and glass this would perfect...

robostudent5000

Enlightened
i used to have a Minimag LED with a glass lens and it looked a lot nicer because the lens didn't scratch so darn easily, but performance wise, i didn't notice a difference.

you can use this lens on the XL's, albeit is not as nice as the ones from flashlightlens

half way down this post, there's a description of possible issues with removing the XL's reflector.

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
i used to have a Minimag LED with a glass lens and it looked a lot nicer because the lens didn't scratch so darn easily, but performance wise, i didn't notice a difference.

You may not notice a big difference when compairing a glass lens to a near pristine plastic one, however, the plastic lenses used in maglite's scratch so easily that one could essentally destroy the surface of one with their bare finger, I've seen it done. Once one of those stock lenses gets some wear and scratches on it you would be very suprised how dramatic of a difference a glass lens can make on output.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
You may not notice a big difference when compairing a glass lens to a near pristine plastic one, however, the plastic lenses used in maglite's scratch so easily that one could essentally destroy the surface of one with their bare finger, I've seen it done. Once one of those stock lenses gets some wear and scratches on it you would be very suprised how dramatic of a difference a glass lens can make on output.

mine was covered with fine scratches when i replaced it with glass. i still didn't notice a real difference in output.

maybe scratches show up better on an incan, but on the Mag LED, i couldn't really tell. could have been just me.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also has anyone replaced the lens with the glass? If so did it make a difference?

Seems like with a clip and glass this would perfect...

A high quality glass lens with AR coating will transmit somewhat more light than the stock plastic lens - five even ten percent more light at a guess.

However, I doubt that naked eye observation could could tell the difference. A lightmeter would show the difference, but the human eye isn't sensitive enough to small variances in illumination.

A removeable pocket clip would be nice, but the XL50 is sort of bulky for EDC clipped into a front pocket, at least for me. Not only is the XL50 longer than most 1AA lights but also fatter.

I can EDC typical 1AA lights fairly comfortably in a back pocket, but not the XL50 because of its bigger diameter.

A belt holster would probably be better for EDC. Brightguy lists three holsters for the XL50:
http://www.brightguy.com/accessory_results.php?Sku=MAGXL50S3016

WoodMan

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if anybody new of a holster that would work for it.

The Maxpedition 4" Sheath works great for the XL series and other lights as well. It is a little pricey but I've bought several on Ebay at better than 50% off.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
A high quality glass lens with AR coating will transmit somewhat more light than the stock plastic lens - five even ten percent more light at a guess.

However, I doubt that naked eye observation could could tell the difference. A lightmeter would show the difference, but the human eye isn't sensitive enough to small variances in illumination.

It's when that plastic lens gets scratched and worn, that's when there's a pretty dramatic difference, in my eyes, between a plastic and glass lens.

MobileEMP

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for a good pocket clip for the XL series and the NovaTac one seems to be almost impossible to find. Over at Lighthound I found the Solar Force L2 pocket clip ($4.99!): https://www.lighthound.com/Solar-Force-Removable-L2-Pocket-Clip_p_3251.html

According to this guy's flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordyhand/5167519809/) you can get it to fit and look like that with just a bit of work.

I've ordered two of the clips, and when they come, I will try and determine the best way to get it to work. After I figure that out, I will report back.

-MobileEMP

MobileEMP

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for a good pocket clip for the XL series and the NovaTac one seems to be almost impossible to find. Over at Lighthound I found the Solar Force L2 pocket clip ($4.99!): https://www.lighthound.com/Solar-Force-Removable-L2-Pocket-Clip_p_3251.html

According to this guy's flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordyhand/5167519809/) you can get it to fit and look like that with just a bit of work.

I've ordered two of the clips, and when they come, I will try and determine the best way to get it to work. After I figure that out, I will report back.

-MobileEMP

I did get the clip to work with my Maglite XL50! I had to increase the inside diameter of the clip and shave some of the thickness off the top, but it works and the battery carrier gets consistent contact with the switch. I used a Dremel tool and it took about 15 minutes total to accomplish. I recommend this clip if you have the tools available to modify it!