17500 Battery LED lights that also take an AA cell

thomaswclardy

Newly Enlightened
Hello all.
I am looking for the smallest possible light that takes a 17500 and also a AA.
For me the 17500 cell is the best compromise between a high capacity lithium and the ability to use a AA cell if the 17500 runs out and I need to find a cell in the community.
This is for my EDC in pocket, so the smaller the better. Right now I use a Proton Pro as my EDC and I'm trying to keep the size similar, realizing that the body will need to be slightly wider. I also have a Jetbeam RRT-0, but don't carry it usually as it's too wide and too long with the AA extender tube which is bored out to accept a 17500.
Thank you for you thoughts and suggestions.
Tom

jssp78

Newly Enlightened
Check RMSK, under Logan. They have HA, SS models. They will also carry inserts for other types of batteries such as AAA, AA, and Cr123. The inserts will be sold separate.

thomaswclardy

Newly Enlightened
Thank you - that is an excellent suggestion. I looked at Peak a while back - but the lack of adjustable output kept me from making a purchase. Now with the QTC I think it's exactly what I'm looking for. Any recomendations on a source for a clip for the Logan 17500?
Thank you very much!
Tom

jssp78

Newly Enlightened
Oveready has the Moddoo clip for the Logan and El Caps. The clip is pricey at 18.00 but worth every penny.

DCP117

Newly Enlightened
Depending on the drop-in you're using, a 17500 battery will fit into a Solarforce L2m.

DCP117

Newly Enlightened
Let me rephrase that, a 17500 battery will fit into an L2M body. Weather or not an AA battery will be able to power it, depends on what drop-in you're using.

thomaswclardy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot. Does anyone know or have a good guess when the Peak will be switching to the next gen of leds upgrading from the XP-G R5? Will they go to the XP-G S2? Maybe the XM-L series?
Specifically, the Logan :)
Thanks

lampy

Newly Enlightened
Let me rephrase that, a 17500 battery will fit into an L2M body. Weather or not an AA battery will be able to power it, depends on what drop-in you're using.

This sounds interesting and maybe the budget 17500,123,AA option I'm looking for. Can you/someone elaborate on how you fit an AA or 17500 in there (Please let it not be with a 15mm spacer :shakehead)

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good setup would be the FM 18500 body with Solarforce 0.8-4.2V, 3-mode with bezel and tailcap per choice... then again, you could use L2M body paired with Oveready ZeroRez shorty, again with Solarforce low voltage module... would be rather cute and versatile host...

lampy

Newly Enlightened
Cheers Tana much appreciated :thumbsup:

I wondered how that 34mm body was gonna work with a 50mm cell.....Aint that ZRS a great little tailcap thanks for the HU

Also for the 18500 body I found the thread in CPFMP lets hope they come in soon.

Looks like this months beer tokens are gone already...:huh:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if this might suit your needs. I had someone here bore out my Sunwayman V10A for 17500. i run 17500 in it all the time. Then in a pinch i can use 14500, AA Alkaline or CR123 with spacer.

lampy

Newly Enlightened
@Solscud007

I undecided on whether to use 17500 cells yet. Really just want this size to allow me 16340 or AA in a single piece body (no extension to lose) with improvised spacers. Still undecided which variable output I gonna choose for my edc its a toss up between the V10r, RRT-0 and Logan 17500

But everything else I buy is gonna be lego and preferably P60 for an easy drop in upgrade or repair and while I decide on my edc I might as well start buying bits so I got a new flashlight to play with soon:)

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
Not sure if this might suit your needs. I had someone here bore out my Sunwayman V10A for 17500. i run 17500 in it all the time. Then in a pinch i can use 14500, AA Alkaline or CR123 with spacer.

What a great idea. I just wish I know who I can ask here in my country to do it for me.

lampy

Newly Enlightened
:oops: ...That IS a great idea.........I missed the A in the V10 :ohgeez: ...........I been checking the V10R out but never thought to check the input voltage on the A still accepted 4.2v......I bet that would help keep the overall length shorter than the V10R with the AA extension too....

Is it possible to hold the body and operate the ring single handed so you could go from Min to Max fairly quickly?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be agree with others here.

Get the Peak Logan 17500. Just momentary on/off without a QTC. ON/off and permanent on via twisting the bezel.

This with a pocket clip from Oveready or Darksucks (yes I said DarkSucks) is perfect EDC.

No funky modes no switch to burn. Just perfect on and off.

bigC

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. While not as butter smooth as my Surefire Titan T1A, the ring can be twisted one handed.

:oops: ...That IS a great idea.........I missed the A in the V10 :ohgeez: ...........I been checking the V10R out but never thought to check the input voltage on the A still accepted 4.2v......I bet that would help keep the overall length shorter than the V10R with the AA extension too....

Is it possible to hold the body and operate the ring single handed so you could go from Min to Max fairly quickly?