Why are Android tablets and ipad's becoming popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I'm in the market for a new laptop, used mainly for the internet. I see the trend at the moment is android tablets or ipad's.

Why are these becoming popular? I would think not having a physical keyboard would be a pain. What am I missing here?

nisshin

Enlightened
Smaller, less bulky than a laptop, no moving parts, quieter. Internet browsing doesn't always need a keyboard. Screen size is "big enough." Coolness factor?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Not having a physical computer is nice; just a thin, magazine-shaped device that feels a lot higher in quality than most modern laptops is very appealing. You don't have to know how to configure the firewall or alter registry keys or manage a system tray, you just turn it on and everything works. I'd hate to think how many hours of my life I've lost in Windows trying to get programs to work together, trying to figure out what mystery program has installed itself and is doing something stupid yet again, trying to set up programs that want esoteric address codes that I've never heard of because I'm not a programmer, etc. I've never spent a second on any of that with the iPad; I download a program and it runs when I click it, there isn't anything running in the background unless I ran it that way, all the time I used to spend just getting Windows to work the way it's supposed to is instead used doing what I actually got the computer for, browsing, typing, playing.

It's still not a replacement for a PC, I still use my PC once a week or so to handle technical details, but the rest of the time is spent on the iPad comfortably enjoying computing, not trying to get to where I can compute.

Norm

Retired Administrator
The lack of a physical keyboard, isn't a problem, the Ipad keyboard is good enough for the small amount of typing Web browsing requires.
A tablet isn't a computer replacement (posted before I'd read the post above :)) , it's a more convenient way of browsing from your chair in the lounge or the train etc and easier than a smart phone.
Norm

Last edited:

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I do most my web browsing from my laptop while sitting on my couch while watching tv in the evening. One thought I have had is with the laptop I have it sitting on my lap with the screen adjusted best for me to see it. With the tablet don't you have to continually hold it while browsing?

Truth be told I want a tablet, I'm just trying to figure out if it's right for me.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My home PC died. While I kept using my work MacBook, my wife used our iPad full time for 2 weeks instead of a 'real' computer. She had no complaints. all her email works, Citrix to her work system worked, and she doesn't use flash-based websites much.

A colleague's mother uses an iPad full time now instead of a 'real' computer, for a year now. He's not had a support call from her in 6 months. She loves it.

If your needs are simple, then it can be a genuine replacement for a laptop or desktop PC.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I do most my web browsing from my laptop while sitting on my couch while watching tv in the evening.

Yup, this is where the iPad really shines, when you're not doing anything hugely technical or involving, just casual browsing with something else going on the room. Once you try this with a tablet, anything bigger just seems awkward.

As for positioning, the viewing angle on the iPad is huge, I can turn it far enough that the text is no longer legible, but can still clearly see the screen lit up. I usually just lay it in my lap, which would not be a feasible angle with most LCD screens, but everything looks fine. There are also a broad range of stands and combo cover/stands available for it, which I haven't found necessary.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, all the replies here are certainly quite valid but most of them are referring to using an iPad or perhaps another tablet as a convenient way to browse the web on your couch. Granted, that's true, but I think the real attraction to tablets are the thousands of remarkable apps available that are creating an entirely new way to do computing in new ways that go way beyond what you can do with a laptop. True, it doesn't replace a dedicated work station. It is something different. It's a whole new thing!

And for those of us who grew up watching crew members on Star Trek episodes using tablet computers, it's an amazing new thing!

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoops... hit the Reply with Quote button.. meant to Go Advanced and hit the Quick Reply button instead. Maybe I'll comment later. :eek:

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've been wondering if the good 7 inch tablets such as the Samsung model are large enough for comfortable Web surfing, or if you'd soon be wishing for something bigger. It almost seems like iPad size is too much for real portability. It also seems like much typing on any of them would be a pain. My wife may be wanting one soon. Me too, but she gets her's first.

Geoff

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I wouldn't want to browse on anything much smaller than the iPad screen; the iPad itself isn't meant to be an EDC type item, that's what the smartphone is for. But it is small enough to carry with a book or two and you don't notice it at all. Typing is slower than on a normal keyboard, but it has pretty good auto-correct, and is much faster than typing on a phone. I wrote my 13 page philosophy class essay on my iPad, and the typing was faster than my thinking..

Greta

Flashaholic
I've been wondering if the good 7 inch tablets such as the Samsung model are large enough for comfortable Web surfing, or if you'd soon be wishing for something bigger. It almost seems like iPad size is too much for real portability. It also seems like much typing on any of them would be a pain. My wife may be wanting one soon. Me too, but she gets her's first.

Geoff

I carry my iPad 2 in my purse all the time... and no, I do not have one of those huge tote bag type purses. Actually, I'll bet my purses would be considered small in comparison to most. Anyway... Portability is not an issue for me at all. As far as typing on it? I was skeptical at first too... but then I was VERY pleasantly surprised at how easy it is and how REALLY fast I can type stuff up. It is a great little tool to have on hand... but if I want to actually WORK... I have to have a PC, whether it be my desktop or my netbook. BTW... my netbook does NOT fit in my purse.

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
I do more Internet surfing and forum reading on my iPhone than I do my 18" HP laptop. No time wasted booting up, no power cords to hookup, plus with apps like Tapatalk it makes reading forums (even on the tiny iPhone screen) very easy. I'm trying to resist the urge to purchase an iPad, but it is slowly winning me over...

nbp

Flashaholic
Speed.

That's a huge part of it. Let's say I want to quickly look something up, like when to change the clocks back this fall. On my iPod Touch or iPhone, I can wake it from standby, launch my browser, punch the question into the Google bar and have an answer in probably 15 seconds. No PC can match that. You're looking at probably 2+ min for the average computer starting from Sleep mode, or standby, waking it, opening browser, navigating etc. Someone smarter than me can explain the differences in PC hard drives vs. tablet flash memory or whatever, but the point is, they are super fast. Zero lag time.

Apps add even more speed and flexibility. Let's say I want to know the weather forecast. Whip out iProduct, unlock, launch Weather Channel app, have forecast in about 5 seconds. Email? Same thing! One button push and you are in your Inbox, 5 seconds flat. Again, to boot up your computer and navigate on your web browser to find that takes much longer. Having the ability to run a single program at a tap of the finger to get very specific information is very very convenient.

I love my iPod touch and iPhone. I wish I could justify getting an iPad too. They are awesome to play with, and for most people's general emailing, browsing, reading, they are definitely adequate. Great for computer illiterate people too. "OK Grandma, when you want the weather, push the blue Weather Channel picture. When you want news, push the NPR picture. If you want to email me, push the envelope picture."

They don't completely eliminate the need for PCs, but they are super handy.

sassaquin

Enlightened
My ipad has been a life changer for me. Being disabled from severe chronic neuropathy, I am unable to sit or stand for a few minutes at a time so using a computer is not possible. My condition requires that I lay nearly flat in bed for a good part of my day, so using a laptop isn't an option either as trying to use a keyboard laying down is nearly impossible. My ipad is completely different - it rests on my belly in a case that props it up at an angle so I can see and type on it. Having access to the internet has connected me to the outside world. My ipad also allows me to read using ibooks, play app games, watch youtube videos and has introduced me to the wonderful folks at CPF.

So, if you think ipads and tablets are just a novelty or a passing status fad, please remember that this technology has made my, and many others', life so much more tolerable and enjoyable.:)

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tablets are no passing fad. It's only now we've had the technology to make ones that are actually usable. Apple should be thanked from forcing manufacturers to stop saddling their shiny new sleek tablets with Windows - a system that was never designed for a touch interface, and any attempt at modifying it to suit failed miserably.

Apple has forced the development of new, touch based OS'es. Android and iOS are the new Windows and Mac OS. I don't know who'll win that battle... but it's sure as hell exciting to see them fight :D

cdrake261

Enlightened
I like my iPad because I can do everything on it that I can on my laptop minus the huge bulk and drainage. Plus they say the iPad can go upto a month without use on standby but it take less then a couple seconds to slip it from it's sleeve and turn it on. I hardly use my laptop, and only use my desktop that I built to do my homework.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Most people are not using their computers to their full potential.

If you were to keep a log of what an average computer user does on their desktop/laptop etc it would look something like:

- Browsing the web
- Reading/sending Email
- Creating/Editing Documents & Spread sheets
- Listening to music
- Viewing Photos/graphics
- Watching a few Videos

The applications for these functions are not processor & memory intensive (I currently use a Acer aspire one AOD250 netbook as my computer)

What tablets brought to the party is portability, easier interaction with the programs, and all round usability.

If you use the Five E's of usability:

- Effective

They are not powerhouses but have enough power to do most of the tasks that are asked of them without lagging.

- Efficient

They are not designed to completely replace a full computer but to supplement it & make doing routine tasks (see above list) easier. They reduce the need to mouse click on multiple items to do tasks like zooming when you can use two fingers moving towards each other.

- Engaging

You are more likely to use a device if you are not tied down to one location. If you are able to use the device where you are most comfortable you will be able to focus on your task better.

- Error Tolerant

Android & Apple OS are designed for touch screen tablets and take lessons learned from smart phones to reduce errors & random button pressing.

- Easy to Learn

Most of the functions are done by finger touches & gestures making the learning curve less steep than a full computer

Laptops (now notebooks & net-books) became the preferred computing devices due to the fact that they are not tied down to the one location i.e. they are very portable. Making it easier for workers to take work home, on trips etc, for students to work on that essay in their room then at the library while doing research,

Tablets took the most used tasks (as above list states) and provides them in a small package with good battery life with adequate processing & memory power to do those tasks while in an even more portable package.

As I said before they are not meant to replace a full computer but to compliment it and make 80% - 90% easier.

For some people they can be used in place of a full computer. Take me for example.

I use a net book which has more power than I need to do the things that I want. Sure I could get a laptop or desktop but what gains would I get from doing so? Not much aside from a larger screen but I would get a lot of down sides including reduced portability of the bigger, heavier machine.

I am planing on getting a Android tablet to supplement my netbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.