SF collector and customer service conflict?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I went to Surefire to see if they could do something about my scratched up lenses on my Teardrop Crosshairs E1E and Teardrop E2E.

They said they are really old and they will see what they can do.

I had them mailed back to me in NY. They replaced with with newer E2E and E1E.

Should I be upset that they replaced two collectible lights? Or be happy that I have two working E-series lights?

It is tough. Im glad that they gave me two working lights. But they never asked if I wanted that done. Oh well. It is a gift. Cant be too upset. I thin what helps is that im not too attached to teardrop Eseries.

scout24

Flashaholic
Not a collector, probably more "functional" than the old ones, especially not having plastic lenses. I can certainly understand being torn, however... Maybe call them and ask to "purchase" the new lights and get your heads back? I'd be certain they are still around.

Paladin

Enlightened
I had a KL2 that stopped working while fixing my wife's sewing machine. Sent it in for repair and got back a brand new in box KL2.

Paladin

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I have an outdated light, like my E1e-SG, that I want to keep, and the lens get's scratched...I just diffuse it, and the scratches are gone!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is why communication is crucial. Good for you that it worked out Solscud007.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I'm about to send in my recently acquired A2 because the battery tube is ridiculously tight. I actually have to use tools to remove Surefire batteries... I really hope that they don't send me an A2L back.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Isn't it stated by SureFire that they'll repair or replace at their option any broken light?

If you have a sentimental attachment to what SureFire simply consider a tool, I suggest it is for you to make it explicitly clear at all stages of the returns process what you consider acceptable. For example, if they can't repair it you'd rather have the original light back than a replacement.
Wrap the light in a note stating this, and tie a tag with the same to the light.

Several people at SureFire may be involved so don't assume they all know that you've a special attachment to this individual light.
Also, SureFire employees see [tens of] thousands of lights so may not realise that you consider something rare or valuable for one reason or another.

SureFire make tools. Getting working tools back to customers is their obvious motivation.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't it stated by SureFire that they'll repair or replace at their option any broken light?

If you have a sentimental attachment to what SureFire simply consider a tool, I suggest it is for you to make it explicitly clear at all stages of the returns process what you consider acceptable. For example, if they can't repair it you'd rather have the original light back than a replacement.
Wrap the light in a note stating this, and tie a tag with the same to the light.

Several people at SureFire may be involved so don't assume they all know that you've a special attachment to this individual light.
Also, SureFire employees see [tens of] thousands of lights so may not realise that you consider something rare or valuable for one reason or another.

SureFire make tools. Getting working tools back to customers is their obvious motivation.

Oh dont get me wrong. I fully understand and appreciate their look at their products. However the option of it being replaced never crossed my mind. Nor was it mentioned. As I said earlier, I hand delivered these to Surefire in Fountain Valley. The service rep I spoke with never mentioned the possibility of replacing them.

So im torn. I dont like that they replaced them. But as a functional approach I got a better tool.

I would have just liked the option upfront and had them tell me about it. It would not change the tough decision. I probably would have said, dont replace them, just because they are old and rare. But oh well. It is not like they replaced a DARPA DEF3C with a kroma haha or a L6-PP for a L6. then I would be REALLY mad.

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can remember reading here in the past of cases where people would need repairs to old discontinued styles of lights and such but wouldn't send them in for repair not knowing what they might get back in return. I'm definitely not knocking surefire's customer service here, but I've read more than one report of lights being sent in and people getting, lets say, less than perfect parts or lights back in return. I experienced this when I sent in my 10X dominator for repair sometime ago. However, I do have to admit in the same breath that I've heard twice as many reports of people sending in less than perfect parts and lights and getting brand new stuff in return so.....

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Playing devils advocate here solscud, and this is my take on it...did you really think SF would still have the plastic snap-in lens for these? These have been discontinued for 6-7 years now? It's like the A20...I think I bought the last one (available on line anyways) about 3 years ago...SF stopped making them 8-9 years ago??? I know that if it ever breaks, I'm SOL. I have an old E1e-SG, and while I'm half tempted to send it in for a new E1e, the nostalgia of the old lights (for me anyways), is more important. So, I just diffused it, and I have a keeper now. But, again (and you being an SF junky), did ya really expect them to "repair" it? Just Sayin'...LOL!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well at least you won't shedding any more "teardrops!"

Sorry, I can be so immature...