NDI XM-L emitter swap

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, sad to say, this is the extent of my modding skills :D

Thing puts out a ton of light compared to its R2 brother.

It was a simple emitter swap without any other modification. It retains all the original functionality, just a lot more light.

It warms up pretty quick on 14500 compared to R2 but for bursts, no problem.

img5706medium.jpg

And a huge flood...but super bright!

img5704medium.jpg

On low, R2 actually looks brighter because of the tighter/concentrated hotspot. I think this is a much better EDC with this mod...

Thanks for looking!

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I can try and do a comparison shot with NDI XM-L vs NEX R2 :)

Taking out the light engine was quite easy. Basically identical to D10. You pop out the brass ring sitting on top of the LE and then use a tweezer on two small grooves to unscrew the LE out.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I can try and do a comparison shot with NDI XM-L vs NEX R2 :)

Taking out the light engine was quite easy. Basically identical to D10. You pop out the brass ring sitting on top of the LE and then use a tweezer on two small grooves to unscrew the LE out.

so the LE was taken out from the front end after you remove the reflector?Am I correct?

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the LE is taken out from the back where the + battery contact is.

Look at this post

It's a 'tribute to nitecore d10' thread but you'll see how the light engine is taken apart towards the bottom of the first post. It's identical to NDI.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem! Good luck to you. I'm thinking to mod SR3 now with the same idea. Got the tip off of another thread here. We'll see how this comes out :D

jupello

Enlightened
Damn.. I really need to consider doing a mod like this to my Q5 NDI. Would love to get floodier beam to it, and extra efficiency would be nice too.

So the 12.8mm round board was good fit for it?
EDIT: I opened my light, and it seems that boards smaller than 16mm should fit in there.

Last edited: