A noob in need...

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
...is a noob indeed! I've just received my Powerex MH-C9000 charger along with a bunch of Eneloops, and I have to admit that I'm thoroughly intimidated. I've been reading up about charging/discharging/breaking-in Eneloops on this forum, but quite honestly most of it is going over my head. The Powerex manual provides a good basic guide on how to use it, but obviously doesn't tell you what rates you should enter for these particular batteries when prompted, because that's a whole new can of worms.

I love getting nerdy about stuff like this, but right now I just don't have the time or the inclination - too much work to do. However, I still want to get going with this and start playing with my new toys! Basically, I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a simple, step by step explanation regarding what I should do with my Eneloops now that I have them, bearing in mind I'm just not ready to go 'in-depth' just yet.

In terms of what I want from them, lifespan and output are most important to me. I don't even know if the charging process can affect the output, but basically runtime is less important to me than how long the batteries last and how much light I get out of my torch.

Bear in mind my noobiness - getting a grip on the basic issues is what's most important to me right now. For example, should I use them straight away, or should I do some kind of break-cycle first? If the latter, what charge rate should I use?

Thanks once again guys! I really appreciate all the help I've been getting from the CPFers on my journey into addiction!

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
Okay, after a bunch more reading (cheers for the search tips Groundhog) I'm currently discharging my Eneloops (rate 400). Guess I'm in for a long wait, but if nothing else the screen on my C9000 makes me feel super-technical and futuristic. What's that about superficial??? =)

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
Right, did a discharge and got the following:

1. 1420mah, 1.17 volt (233 mins)
2. 1345mah, 1.16 volt (237 mins)
3. 1424mah, 1.18 volt (231 mins)
4. 1428mah, 1.17 volt (236 mins)

Seem about right/normal? I'm leaving them to rest for about an hour (approx) before starting the break-in cycle.

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
Okay, so I did the break-in, and the final results are as follows:

1. 2005mah, 1.47 volt (327 mins)
2. 2009mah, 1.47 volt (331 mins)
3. 1997mah, 1.47 volt (323 mins)
4. 2010mah, 1.47 volt (330 mins)

This all seems about right. However, I'm not really sure how to interpret the different capacity readings from the discharge as compared with the results after the break-in cycle. Is it normal, and what exactly does it mean? By the way, these are the new (crowned) Eneloops, if that makes any difference.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that's normal, the eneloops only come partially charged from the factory. In all honesty you don't need to pay much attention to maintaining Ni-mh cells, especially robust top quality ones like eneloops.

Just use them and recharge them whenever you like, not much can go wrong. My friend had 2 he discharged to 0.01v and left for a few months but after I 'fixed' them for him just by recharging again in a proper non-timer charger they work fine and at the same performance as my other ones.

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
Cool, good to know. I knew that not much is to be gained by doing a break-in on the newer Eneloops, but I just wanted to do it so I could really get to grips with my charger and fiddle around with it.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast