Inexpensive 2D incan?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was camping this weekend, and noticed nobody had a decent light. we are talking like 50 people. it rained like crazy, and we really needed light. many failed!

at on point, a huge RV backed into a site and got stuck...of course i was ready with my tec-40s, surge and TL-2 LED (the TL-s was AMAZING for camping!).

what i am looking for is an inexpensive ($10 or less?) 2D incan light that is reasonable tough and water resistant. i would prefer smallish in size (smaller than the m@g 2D if possible), with a decent or easily corrected beam. i figure 2D is a nice size for non-flashaholics and have a nice long runtime. PR bulbs are a plus. i would consider AA bats.

i like a nice hotspot with good clean peipheral light.

i have seen the garrity tuff light, and some ray-o-vacs around. i think playboyjoeschmoe has stated that the rayovac sportsmans/industrials are pretty nice.

i intend to purchase a bunch to give out at our next trip--halloween, so i need to keep the cost down a bit.

i am awaiting the landslide of advice!

Bob

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to consider the Coleman line of lights, think they should be pretty cheap, and seem to be very good Mod candidates,esp the 2AA ones! Milkyspit has the Coleman online store listed here in one of the other threads in the Cafe...
Else Wayne's (Elektrolumens) Anglelux is a clear winner for camping, if you're willing to part with 50 bucks!!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
NARF!

heh, heh...love your pic, Stanley! Pinky and the Brain!

yup...i think the main contenders will be Garrity, Dorcy, Coleman and Rayovac. possible Brinkmann, but i think they will be a little too expensive.

Bob

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I've seen the Rayovac at Menards. I think they were $2 or $3. My employer used to hand these out. They are reliable for the price, but not as bright as I would like. Some of the guys still use them apparently with complete satisfaction (they got them for free). They also get free industrial (heavy duty) batteries. When one of these won't work they just throw them away & get another. I think this might be what you are looking for, kind of like a Bic lighter but they aren't as good as a Bic IMHO.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! Zoink! So what are we gonna do tomorrow, Bob...err... Brain? Yup, gotta love the cartoon... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Apart from those you mentioned, I thought PT has some lights in that price range as well, don't they? I could be wrong about the price cos they all cost a lot over here anyways... Well, if they're mostly for handouts then I think the ones you have in mind should be pretty sufficient. To add to that, I'm starting to find my UKE 2AAA to be a very very handy light indeed, small and waterproof... you may want to consider that as well, maybe?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well..
you can't go wrong with the Tec40.. and they're available for $10.99 a piece.. 99 cents over your limit? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/store/products/productDisplay.asp?manufacturer=BISON&model=SPORTLIGHT+2AA the Bison 2AA sportlight.. it's xenon.. vastly superior to mags, and $7.81.. not too bad..

http://www.123imprint.com/promotional-tools-knives-flashlights-keychains-etc-by-brand-garrity.html the garrity steelbeam 2d xenon is available here.. $15.95 for 25 of them.. $15.40 for 50 of them..

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=152581-519-T350GYT06EU you can find the 2aa and 2d combo for the garrity tufflite here thru lowe's.. $10.97.. or the 2d alone for $6.97..

sorry i couldn't fall into your price range.. but maybe these are available elsewhere for better prices.. i just don't like krypton bulbs much..

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't have the Garrity Tough Lights, but do have the Garrity (name escapes me - plastic with rubber grips) that is a decent beam.

And I have heard good things about the Tough Lights. They can be had at Walmart for I BELIEVE about $12 for the 2D and 2AA combo.

Big Lots often has some rubber 2D and 3D lights, and one of the brands ain't half bad for cheap! When I get home I'll look and tell you which one to grab and which to avoid!

There are some 4AA lights that look like short D cell lights. The best of these is the Sears Craftsman 4AA Tool Light. Awesome beam! and nice size. I'm nearly certain they are under 10 bucks, but you must supply batteries.

I'll report more in a couple hours.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
2d rayovac industrial.$2 on sale.the only cheapie i have seen with a good switch and reflector.i have one that has been rolling around in toolboxes and pickup beds for years and still works fine.has a prismatic reflector(looks like a disco ball)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Okay, I was wrong on several counts.

I have only 2D M*gs (2) and Garrity G-Techs (2) and a Qualistar 2D Rubber light from Big Lots. I have many more 3D lights.

Oh yeah, there is a 2D Rayovac Industrial in my truck.

And based on all this, I think the Rayovacs are the best cheap lights. The Qualistars (2D and 3D) have funkier beams than even M*gs! The G-Techs are okay, but the Rayovacs make the smoothest but not the brightest beams! Still the best all around cheap lights!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have a 2D Rayovac Workhorse that I got about 10 years ago. It has a strong body and a tight beam, and it is about as bright as one can expect from this type of flashlight.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
BrightGuy.com has the Koehler 2D (8K candlepower) for $4.25. They also have the Koehler 2D Hazardous Environment light (10K cp)that would be my recommendation for just under $8.00. It's rated for Class 1, Divisions 1 and 2 and is "crushproof".

Koehler 2D Industrial

BC

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Yeah, the 2D Koehler might be a good choice. I got a 3D last time I ordered from Brightguy to see how similar it is to the Rayovac lights. It has a very similar beam. The plastic is shinier and slightly slippery. Still not bad, and plenty cheap!

Azreal911

Enlightened
So what did you buy out of all those? i just read this thread and think out of all the one's they mentioned the garrity tuff light as the best for the money. Since you stated that you can end up in very wet rainy conditions the tuff light can handle it since it floats and pretty much sealed in very heavy rain. while the others have a chance of leaking around the switch. The best thing about this light is the shock absorption with the heavy rubber casing which means less blow bulbs when thrown around. and the beam isn't bad with the semi faceted switch like their other lineups. the the tuff light is one of the few in their lineup that they stated can be used in heavy rain and floats. even the stainless steel lineup isn't rated for wet environments at all. Also running on 2d cells is great for long runtimes for some fun camping away from the corner stores.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i purchased a rayovac industrial 2d to evaluate. it seems pretty decent, and only cost about $5. pretty nice, overall. beam is decent, it is reasonably sized.
my only real gripe is the switch. it seems very stiff. and, you make a good point about water resistance.

but, i am very curious about the tuff light. might just purchase one for eval as well. i think a clickie might be more welcome--especially for the older crowd with arthritis (i am even starting to get arthritic).

i dont see these esperiments as a waste of cash--i always know someone that can use a decent light.

the search goes on...

Bob

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
That first armynavyshop one looks like a taller version of the 4AA Sea-Lite that Wal-Mart carries or used to carry. GREAT light for the price, the 4AA is/was.

Box says:
Dist. by Savannah Trading Co., Inc.
POB 795
Palm City FL 34991

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
In cheap 2D lights the slide switch is the part that, since the lights are not waterproof, gets corroded and make the light unusable after a while.
Rayovacs 2D have a slightly better switch that may last more.
In my opinion, even for a non-flashaholic user, the light has to be reliable. Forget about beam perfection, brightness or durability, but when you seek for a flashlight, you need it because you are in the dark.

So, my suggestion is for a TEC 40s or a Streamlight Twin task 2D. Consider that ANY non-waterproof light will not stay unused without degrading.
The TEC 40 is a dive light, it is within your budget but uses AA, not D cells. The Steamlight TT 2D is a very good 2D light but is above your budget. There also "clones" of the TT 2D, cheaper, but I have seen "100-hrs" lifetime LEDs used in there.

Anthony

Azreal911

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Try the Eveready halogen light linked here, $7 in small quantity, $5 in big quantity, includes a pair of D alkalines, is waterproof and has a good switch.

http://www.cheapbatteries.com/flash.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

wow halogen? nice! but the funny thing is i've seen that light from eveready since the 80's! that's thing is very old i think and nostalgic. it's all plastic with a rubber switch cover. and the tec40 is a decent light but running on aa's only give it like 3-4 hrs runtimes which wouldn't last a long weekend with night hikes involved (mandatory when i camp!) that's alot of aa's with 20-30 lights given out. stick with d's to lessen the battery changes. and the prophet makes a good point on mainly getting heavily water resistant lights, since if you are out to get like 20 or so of them they might as well last for a good few years of rough use without worrying about the insides getting corroded because of a wet environment.