Inova X2 duel-level?

mmace1

Enlightened
*dual

So I see that now that dual-mode Inovas are available. I've always liked the way the X2 looked; they're among, if not my absolute favorites style-wise.

That said, anyone have a new dual mode? Is it the same emitter as always? (A Luxeon 3, I believe...?). I'm wondering if the improvement was anything more than just going to dual mode.

YlxBp.jpg
uneEH.jpg

Purdy, but I'm wondering how far behind in tech at this point...

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
INOVA lights have moved beyond LUX IIIs and reports here indicate that the new models are using CREEs.It appears the new X1 2-mode is using the XP-C wich is a lower cost/less efficient LED similar to the XP-E.I have not heard what the new X2 is using yet.I really like the INOVA design as well and the new X1 is worthwhile at the $20 price point even with the lesser XP-C IMO.Maybe someone with the most current single level X2 can chime in as the 2-mode may be using the same LED as that model.

Last edited:

kwalker

Newly Enlightened
I have the new dual mode version and I think it's great. I have a LD20 and the Inova is very close to the same brightness on high and a good blend of throw and flood. The thing about Inova products are they're rock solidly built and reliable. I also own a 2 x CR123 version Inova light and this X2 is just as bright and close to the same size. I'd highly recomend the X2.
(and it's good value for the $$)

mmace1

Enlightened
Email from Inova: "we are currently using Cree LEDs in all of our Inova flashlights".

Though which Crees, they didn't say.

I just noticed the X1, X2, & X5 are only IPX4 (splashing) water resistant though. Slight negative factor there that I had never noticed.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the new dual mode version and I think it's great. I have a LD20 and the Inova is very close to the same brightness on high and a good blend of throw and flood. The thing about Inova products are they're rock solidly built and reliable. I also own a 2 x CR123 version Inova light and this X2 is just as bright and close to the same size. I'd highly recomend the X2.
(and it's good value for the $$)

Do you know what LED it is using? Detailed pics of LEDs are available in the Commonly Used LED Emitter Index sticky on the LED sub-forum of CPF.Also what is the price of the new X2?

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow - the X5 used to be considered submersible to a fair depth. That's kinda a shame.

I wonder if INOVA lights are any different than they used to be with regards to water resistance.INOVA/Nite-Ize may be trying to eliminate the possibility of water related warranty claims.I remember reading accounts of the X5 in water but don't remember INOVA lights as having much of a water resistant rating in the past either.The IPX4 rating really doesn't concern me that much as I am skeptical of most metal light's water resistance.

mmace1

Enlightened
I don't know...I've taken my Romisen RC-N3, a metal "budget-premium" light if you will, night-swimming in the ocean via Dubai 1x and the Philippines 2x. No problems. I've had the light 2 years, (Dubai was 2 years ago, Philippines were 1.5), and still stick it under river water occasionally to illuminate things because I'm a dork. I've never done any maintenance of any kind, nor seen any sign of corrosion whatsoever.

Anyone dunk-tested a recent Inova X2...?

radu1976

Enlightened
If I remember well the previous 2010 X2 1-mode was using SSC P4 emitters , so anyway an XP-C would be a step ahead .
I also read that the T4 is using XP-Es , so I believe that XO3/T3 are using the same L.E.Ds .
INOVAs are still very tough - as construction - or at least they seem to be - I have several older models with TIROS - but they are behind the others in terms of emitter used ! Though, an XM-L T6 used with a XO3 reflector wouldn't provide a good throw at all , the result would be a very floody flashlight !

Latest posts