My new favorite reason to use a light!!! Do you people Geocache?

someguy4747

Newly Enlightened
So I am a new flashoholic (since about December of 2010). I originally joined CPF in January before the site crashed. I love my lights and I play with them all the time. Now I make sure I have at least two lights with me at all times. However, it didn't take me that long to realize I like my flashlights a lot more than I have a use for them. In other words I am constantly looking for an excuse to use one of my lights. I really don't care what it is but if it seems like using a light would make a task easier I am all over it. This is where geocaching comes in.

I recently found out about geocaching from a friend. I had heard of it but didn't know exactly what it was. Basically Geocaching is a modern day treasure hunt that utilizes gps technology. The treasures consist of a log book and small tradable items. However, the real treasure is in the fun of hunting down the "caches" as they are called. The "caches" are hiding in plain sight waiting to be found by those who know where to look. There are a few other fun details but those are the basics. All you need to get started is a gps(or smart phone w/gps) and a free account on geocaching.com.

My friend took me on my first find and it was at night. I of course had a light with me and was thrilled with how useful my light was. I enjoyed the modern day treasure hunt and had a perfect reason(not excuse) to use my light.

Since the items are hiding in plain sight it is strongly suggested you find the items when there are not very many people around(like at night!). People who don't know about geocaching(A.K.A. "muggles") tend to mess up the caches and steal them making it impossible for future geocachers to find. This makes geocaching at night almost ideal. Since it is summer(about 100° during the day) and I love a good reason to use my lights I am enjoying geocaching during the night quite a bit.

After just learning about Geocaching(I have 13 finds so far!) I am eager to share the hobby with others and also curious to find out if other CPF members geocache. I figured there are a lot of people here with more lights than they have a use for and also might enjoy Geocaching. I'd love to hear if this thread inspires anybody to try geocaching!

Also if any more experienced Geocachers have any tips or hints I would love to hear about them and also what lights are your favorite for geocaching? I like my quark AA for its relatively floody beam and good output on an AW 14500. I also like my Quark mini AA2. It seems more floody lights are better for searching for the caches.

PS: I am also someguy4747 on geocaching.com

robertrock

Newly Enlightened
Did it a lot in the past, 2002-2004 or so when my son was interested in it. Haven't done it in years though but I still have the Garmin eTrex Vista.

In Texas it's just too hot to do it year round. Fall, winter and early spring are the best times for me.

AIC

Newly Enlightened
Geocaching is a blast. I like the Caches intended for night finding!

Lightdadark

Newly Enlightened
I used to do it quite a bit when I first got my GPS years ago. My Brother is pretty big into it now though.

someguy4747

Newly Enlightened
Did it a lot in the past, 2002-2004 or so when my son was interested in it. Haven't done it in years though but I still have the Garmin eTrex Vista.

In Texas it's just too hot to do it year round. Fall, winter and early spring are the best times for me.

Yeah the etrex line seem pretty nice especially the new one. I am thinking about maybe getting the new Garmin etrex 30 when it comes out. It seems pretty nice. Plus right now I am using my iPhone and it can sometimes lead me astray.

As for the heat yeah it is hot here too but the evenings drop down to the 80's which is better than 100 or so. I imagine in the winter it might be too cold.

And AIC I like those ones too but I have been doing most normal caches at night anyway. It is cooler and I get to use my lights. I figure as long as I don't look too suspicious it can't hurt.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done a few caches. I'm only a novice, and have only ever used my iPhone for geolocation.

It's a good excuse for a walk though :)

skridsko

Newly Enlightened
Cool! The reason I got into flashlights was because of geocaching! Was looking for lights to assist in those night hunts. :grin2:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got into it during the winter and had a good amount of difficulty finding caches buried in the snow. I should try them again this summer though!

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done it a few times, one of my favourites was hidden in a long natural cave/tunnel in the Peak district. It was the middle of the day so naturally no one else had brought a light, but there was no way we could've found it hidden up on a rock ledge over our heads without my Q-Mini AA w/14500 ;)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you've got me started on yet another thing.... Like I don't have enough hobbies already!

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Count me in! I was looking into this a while ago but you just sparked my interest again. I have a long university break, so lots and lots of time for geocaching! :) Finally a good use for my eTrex!

someguy4747

Newly Enlightened
I am glad you guys are interested. I think if you try it you will like it.

Skridsko,
I can see why night caching would have you looking at led lights, a mini mag probably wouldn't get the job done unless you are in a very dark area.

Blah,
That is pretty hardcore geocaching if you have to dig through the snow but then again I am not accustomed to snow in large quantities.

RedForest UK,
That sounds like a pretty fun cache and I can relate to feeling funny grabbing my light at 8am when I leave and it is perfectly bright out. I tell my girlfriend it is for when the sun goes out; she just rolls her eyes at me. I am glad you had to use your light in broad daylight!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just went to have a look and I couldn't imagine there would be so many caches in my area. I probably could spend all day (or night) going through just the recently visited ones! The best part is I already pass by a lot of the when I go biking and I've been looking for a reason to bike past sunset. The other best part is I like hiking and there's a few caches on the mountain I want to go to this weekend (yaayyyyy, more reasons to motivate me to get there!)

I'll try with my automotive GPS for now, but I know I'll want to get that handheld GPS BEFORE next year! Man, why did I even open this thread up? You guys are costing me money even when it's not about flashlights! :scowl:

girlsaint

Newly Enlightened
I am also a geocacher. 161 (I think) found so far. On gc.com I am also girlsaint.

rick oz

Newly Enlightened
So far i have tagged along on a few geochaching trips with friends and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Found my first cache while doing some abseiling one night. Was doing a little exploring and found a hidden cache, which of course led me to find out what geochaching is!

I Like it because it is great search and rescue training with gps/map and nav/search techniques etc. That and a great excuse to take out and use all your cool gear:D

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I live in suburban Sydney, Australia, so I assumed there wouldn't be any geocaching spots because barely anyone around here is interested in the outdoors/hiking/gear. I am surprised at how abundant these caches are after looking at the map. Going to go for a hunt today for the ones near my house, game on!
In the spirit of this thread, I will be going at dusk and using my Surefire G2X Pro to search. Has a almost neutral white beam, hopefully it will render the colours a little better.

DM11

Newly Enlightened
I like to geocache. But have not done much lately. Never have gone at night might make it a little bit more challenging.

manitoe

Newly Enlightened
I did my first night multi-geocache a few weeks ago. It was a 7 mile hike in a pretty big forest, and being a moonless night it was pitch black. Needless to say, as a flashoholic I haven't had that much fun in ages.

While preparing for the hunt I was confronted with a difficult choice: which flashlights should I bring? :naughty: I ended up choosing the Fenix TK45, Thrunite Catapult v2, Surefire 6P with a Nailbender neutral-white XML drop-in and a HDS 170.
The most useful light turned out to be the TK45. It lit up the trail like daylight.

Funny reaction from the people who were with me: a few minutes after I switched on the TK45, my friends decided to switch off their 3D maglite incans, as they were no use at all while the TK45 was on.
The 6P with Nailbender drop-in was awesome as well, the neutral white really made the forest come alive. Too bad it heated up pretty quickly on high, so I ended up using the TK45 for the better part of the night.

If you've never tried geocaching at night before, I can highly recommend it. It's a welcome change from hanging out in bars on weekend nights :) We had so much fun we went out for another night cache the next weekend.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds like a lot of fun! Now I just need to find some parks around me that are open at night!