One handed operation...

Ian2381

Enlightened
I never thought how important this is in a flashlight until now, I just broke my left hand and now immobile, can only use my right hand, good thing I currently edcing the zebralight SC50W. Simple task seems pretty hard now, can't even mod a light.:(

Just realize even without hands I could operate my zebralight SC50w using my feet.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that... heal well my friend.

I work with flashlights quite often and most of the time I need that light while my other hand is busy, sometimes while lifting heavy stuff. To me, easy one handed operation -including reaching for and putting the light back - is a must when I work. To me, it is imperative that my work lights have a rear clickie so I can turn it on while pointing in the right direction and not have to change position, which could make me drop it in a 10 gallon tank of smelly chemicals. I ordered a Zebra for hiking, though, and I'm impatiently waiting for the mail to come in...

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, heal up soon! You'll be back to modding lights in no time!

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
i also work in a situation where drawing the light from my belt, and turning it on must be one handed. I love the big, protruding switch on my 4sevens tactical, and the fact that it fits in my tool pouch bezel down. works great. and tough enough that when dropped off 12' ladders, it doesnt break......
Hope your hand is better soon!

richpalm

Banned
Get well soon! I'm kinda in the same boat... pinched nerves in neck + pinched ulnar have caused loss of some function in my L hand so I know how you feel. Can't get wallet out of back pocket, doing mods is tough-fumbling or can't pick things up.

Feel better!

Rich

kwak

Enlightened
Get well soon :thumbsup:

It's actually a bit of a nightmare trying to find a torch that works specifically with 1 hand.
Luckily the vast majority are fine, but the odd one with a tight bezel type adjustment does creep in.

I thought my TK21 and TK35 were good for 1 handed operation (left arm paralysed) but compared to my SC600 they are no where near as easy to operate 1 handed.

MAjorwest

Newly Enlightened
I teach low light principals for a Law Enforcement training company. One-handed operation is essential, necessary and and should be mandatory. Many years and the knowledge of several key individuals such as Ken Good, Vaughn Baker, Mark Warren and a few others I'm unable to give credit to at this time, have refined the use and design of one of the best lights on the market. Having said that, I'm not here to sell or Troll. This is my first post on this site and only want to inform, discuss and learn. Blackhawk is no longer producing the Gladius Maximus. Strategos International has obtained the rights to the Gladius, improved on the original design and is currently waiting on the delivery of their first batch. They have named it the SECUTOR PEL-6. I cant pronounce SECUTOR so I just call it the PEL-6. The rotating tail cap allows the user to operate the light with one hand. All the original specs of the Gladius plus a few modifications to improve it. I am strongly against discussing the lighting principals and tactics with non LEO, US armed Forces, and the select individuals of some very specific foreign agencies, I will say this. I carry a Gladius daily. I find it very useful in civilian life and you never know when the occasion will rise that I may need to use it as a weapon. before I was fortunate enough to be included in the Strategos circle of trust I had spent nearly $2000 on various lights and several $100 more in machine shops modifying some of them to meet my needs. After being properly trained in the lighting principals I landed on the Gladius and then bumped it to a CREEmator upgrade. Constant ON, strobe, momentary ON/OFF, can be locked out, programed, and bright enough at 275+ lumens. All this from I recently had the opportunity to handle a light that had combination of 15 different functions or settings. In my opinion it wasnt even practical. Shoot it was difficult to turn on let alone use. Maybe if had 3 hands I would have liked it.