Like the Quark TurboX but with a different UI

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
I'm very pleased with my current Quark light, the Mini123 S2 (seemingly brighter than even my 200lm lights, the thing is amazing), and am salivating over the Turbo X. The only thing holding me back is that while I like the twisty head part of the UI, I don't like that I have to go through a dark ritual to access the modes that aren't set. Are there any lights comparable to the Turbo X but with a different UI?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if you don't like the tactical ui for Quark than maybe try the Eagletac P20c2 XML or T20c2 XML
The Quark Maelstorm X7 might be a better choice?
Or maybe the thrunite Scorpian. Twist threw modes at the tailcap.

I like my turboX if I was to pick a light instead of it, it be the Zebralight SC600.
When I get bored of the turboX I may sell it to help fund an sc600

flashflood

Enlightened
I'm very pleased with my current Quark light, the Mini123 S2 (seemingly brighter than even my 200lm lights, the thing is amazing), and am salivating over the Turbo X. The only thing holding me back is that while I like the twisty head part of the UI, I don't like that I have to go through a dark ritual to access the modes that aren't set. Are there any lights comparable to the Turbo X but with a different UI?

Honestly, the Turbo X is my least used light. It doesn't excel in any dimension. It's average brightness for an XM-L light of that size, too big to pocket, too small to take a 18650, mediocre UI, can't tail stand. It's not a bad light, it's just that there are so many better ones:

Thrunite Neutron 1A or 1C: much smaller, just as bright, tail stands, takes li-ion, easily fits in pocket.

ZebraLight SC600: smaller, brighter, tail stands, great UI, takes 18650. Borderline pocketable. Depends on the pocket.

Lumintop TD-15X: slightly bigger, but much brighter, tail stands, good UI, takes 1 or 2 x 18650.

If I had to part with any of my lights, all the Quarks (Turbo X and Mini X) would be first to go. They're OK, just not best of breed.

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. I am looking for lights that use AA (preferably) or 123. Some of the suggested lights look good, I'll check them out.

Is there a website I can go to to read about Thrunight lights? Every time I go to the official website I can only find a product page for the Catapult V2, and it's a confusing page at that.

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
Well, I feel more confident buying a light if the manufacturer has a traditional presence, like an informative web page, where I can learn about them and their products. What's the deal with Thrunite that they don't have such a page and rely on user reviews as their only real presence on the web?

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I feel more confident buying a light if the manufacturer has a traditional presence, like an informative web page, where I can learn about them and their products. What's the deal with Thrunite that they don't have such a page and rely on user reviews as their only real presence on the web?

That's funny....I've wondered the same thing all year. Very strange in a market where 99.9% of your customers buy your product ON-LINE, and they don't even have a website with their products listed....they just have one of their old lights listed that's not even sold anywhere anymore!! Seems really dumb to me, and communicates a lack of commitment. I still like their lights; just think it's a stupid oversight by Thrunite. Here's a thread over at the marketplace about the subject - ClickHere

flashflood

Enlightened
That's funny....I've wondered the same thing all year. Very strange in a market where 99.9% of your customers buy your product ON-LINE, and they don't even have a website with their products listed....they just have one of their old lights listed that's not even sold anywhere anymore!! Seems really dumb to me, and communicates a lack of commitment. I still like their lights; just think it's a stupid oversight by Thrunite. Here's a thread over at the marketplace about the subject - ClickHere

There seems to an inverse relation between light quality and website quality. It's strange because, as you say, most purchases are online; and also because it's a tech-savvy market. Then again, engineers are notoriously bad at paying attention to anything other than engineering. (I'm guilty of this plenty.)

The thing is, it's not hard, and you can hire a pro to do it. One day of a good site designer's time and you've got something functional. Give them a week and it'll be gorgeous.

flashflood

Enlightened

There seems to an inverse relation between light quality and website quality. It's strange because, as you say, most purchases are online; and also because it's a tech-savvy market. Then again, engineers are notoriously bad at paying attention to anything other than engineering. (I'm guilty of this plenty.)

The thing is, it's not hard, and you can hire a pro to do it. One day of a good site designer's time and you've got something functional. Give them a week and it'll be gorgeous.