Another newbie

matchbox1

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone. I never knew there was such a board or even an acknowledged flashlight syndrome "flashoholics" lol. I'm definitly one and it's terminal. However my knowledge and experience is miniscule compared to the veterans here. This is why I need your help.

I'm a moderator on another discussion board and we allow links. If posting a link here is frowned upon, I apologize but I need some help in regards to getting my first (yes, my very first) LED light.

I'm browsing around ebay for LED lights and I came across the following light.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1945743523

I saw the price of $119 and I about fell over lol. My curiosity was piqued, to say the very least. So here's where I need your help.

I'm of the mindset that you get what you pay for and even though I never contemplated spending that much money on a flashlight of all things, I will if it's worth it.

How does this tiny light compare to bigger lights like the Lightwave 4000? One LED? is this one LED, tiny light REALLY brighter than a 10 LED light like the Lightwave 4000?

Please don't confuse my questions for utter disbelief. Thank you in advance for your help.

MicroE

Enlightened
Matchbox1---Welcome!!

I bought an Arc LS new (two months ago) for about $140. This is a GREAT light and the price is NOT insane. You can find more information at
ARCFLASHLIGHT.COM

There is also a whole forum on this board. Go to CANDLEPOWERFORUMS.COM and scroll down to the forum titled "ARC Flashlight". Clever disguise, no?---Marc

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
grin.gif

just opened a can of worms....

matchbox1

Newly Enlightened
Alrighty, just a couple more questions if y'all don't mind.

I've been using a 3 D cell Maglite. Pretty bright and a nice sized spot. But I want LED now.

I'm looking at the Inova, LS-2 and Lightwave 4000. From what I gather, it appears that the Lightwave is the "entry" level light in the LED world. I read a comparison on the forum between the Inova and LS-2. The Arc comes out on top. I figured as much.

So how does the Arc compare to the Lightwave 4000 in brightness and spot size. Could an LS-2 really be brighter? (10 LED's compared to just one) I appreciate everyones input.

Oh, one last thing. What is "edc" ?

thanks everyone!

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen a Lightwave 4000, but it's a totally different beast than an Arc LS. The Lightwave uses 3(!) 'D' cells and probably weighs about 2 pounds. The Arc LS is tiny and runs off of one lithium 3V battery. But, I'd bet it's close for spot size and brightness between the two. The Arc uses a Luxeon Star LED which is way brigher than those used in the Lightwave.

For a cheaper than the Arc LS but as bright or even brighter LED light you might want to take a look at the some of the modifications users on this board have done and have for sale. Some of them are crazy bright (the lights that is).

EDC = Every Day Carry

You can find a small list of abreviations here: http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ledleft.htm

freewheelin'

Enlightened
I don't know about the others you mentioned as the ARC LS1 was my first led and I love it. It's slightly blue light has none of the green in the corona I've heard about and I have set it down on my kitchen counter and sat 30 feet away and read the tv guide. Good light? You bet. Over priced? I don't think so cause I've got a Rev 2 on order. Get one and see for yourself, then get an ARC AAA, when it gets dark you'll thank yourself.

matchbox1

Newly Enlightened
Actually I may have come across the wrong way lol. Since I've never owned one and can't make any sort of comparison, I was just curious as to why a penlight would be $100.00

Actually I'm the type that doesn't like something or is suspicious of it unless it's high priced lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1945743523

There it is. I can't wait to bear witness to the "wow" factor I've read about.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Orcinus Orca

Newly Enlightened
Matchbox,

I can't help but comment on your current use of a 3D Maglight to satisfy your current illumination needs. While your Arc LS will certainly be useful, (I'm sure that you will love it) you must first understand that LEDs do not posess nearly the throw, or ability to project light over long distances, of incandecent lights. For this I would recommend that you browse the selection of lights that SureFire or Streamlight carry.

Since you have demonstrated your willingness to spend money for premium quality products, I am sure that you will be interested by SureFire's products. As a reference: A two cell surefire can emit 60-65 lumens of light for about an hour, while a 3 cell maglight emits around 25 (granted with greater runtimes). You will be amazed that a device barely longer than your spacebar can blow away the 2 pund hunk of metal that you currently use. A fairly cheap, entry-level alternative is the G2, which retails for around 50 dollars but can be had for 30 at some retailers. I gaurantee that if you choose to purchase this light you will not be dissapointed. If you happen to crave more features however, a G2Z may be a better option, with a more combat-oriented grip, tougher lense, and tailcap that locks out to prevent accidental activation. For smaller size you can investigate the e-series which come in either 1 or 2 cell configurations, but cost more due to their decreased size.

While you appear to currently by interested mainly with LED based lights, I could not allow you to miss out on incandecents, though I am sure that you would have discovered them at one point or another.

Welcome to CPF,
Dale

matchbox1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Dale

Yes, I've already been salivating over the Surefire website. In fact I'm damn near tempted to go and order one right now lol.

I didn't think that the LED lights would have a greater throw over the bigger incandescent lights but as soon as I saw this new (or at least new to me) itty bitty light, I knew I had to get my hands on one of them to see what the fuss is all about.

If anyone has a minute and wouldn't mind guiding me through some of the Surefire product, please IM me at "[email protected]" on the MSN messenger.

Thanks again!

W4DIZ

Enlightened
Welcome Matchbox1,
You have bought two excellent lights.I have both and like them very much.You might want to go to ARCs web site and order the TSP 123(tail switch pack) for your LS1 rev 2.This is a great pack.
Don't forget to get the ARC AAA.Another excellent light.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matchbox1, welcome to CPF!! You should like your Arc LS. Most of us that have at least one, do.

The Lightwaves are not entry level flashlights. They are very vell designed and built, and very rugged. One member dropped his 4000 on concrete, head first, from gutter level, and it still works!

Low price doesn't mean it is junk, either. Perfect example is the Brinkmann Legend LX: uses 2 x CR123A, has around 60 lumens output, runtime of 1 hour. Price at Walmart: $19.97 (with 2 batteries).

Sometimes high priced lights can be junk.

I guess it is far too late to tell you to lock up your wallet.
grin.gif
(common CPF malady is spending MORE on lights)

arioch

Enlightened
Charles Bradshaw:

Unfortunately, my experience with my Lightwave 3000 was not nearly as pleasant as the member who dropped his 4000 onto concrete. I also dropped my 3000 onto concrete the first week I had it. The led's flickered for a few minutes until it died out completely. Efforts to revive the light proved unsuccessful.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Sadly, due to my procrastination in sending the light back for warranty service
twak.gif
, my 3000 now serves as a $50.00 paperweight.
bluesigh.gif

I must add that the 3000 did not impress me in the week that I had it; the light output was okay, but in a very limited area. I found the same thing to be true with the 4000, which I borrowed from a friend in my department.

IMHO, I would shop around for led lights, as the offerings have expanded greatly in the last couple of years.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LW4000 lights up a very tall oak tree, all the way to the top, and then some. I guess I got a good one.

My bad experience was with the CC Extreme (3C focusable, single white LED). Both started strobing with less than 30 minutes of use. (no strobe mode).

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh man
drool, drolll

i wish i have pocket as big as yours, matchbox1

drolll, drip
drip, drip, drolllling continuously