Rexlight 2.0 questions

roverjohn

Newly Enlightened
OK, I'm still using mine as I really like the low low and it's held up amazing well. But, back when we all first got the original pre buy batch from Kai there was talk about how you could or could not use a 14500 and there was supposed to be a 123 or 2xAA tube which would not work if a 14500 blows the thing up. On Kai's site all the Rexlight stuff seems to be sold out so I assume it's no longer supported. I guess he's moved on to the Dexlight series. So does anyone know if it's safe to use anything other than a(an?) AA in the original batch of 2.0 lights? I searched around and maybe the 2007 threads are archived but I'm not finding what I'm looking for.

TIA for your time,
John

/I guess I need to buy some new lights but I get brain overload as I look around here and this old light still works. A cheap CR123 light with a decent low would give me a way to use up my pile of CR123's and would be easier to find than an obsolete Rex tube that would then allow me to blow up a light that has served me well.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
That's a blast from the past. The Rexlights were decent lights for their time period. 14500 worked fine in all versions in my testing. See my 2007 review of the Rexlight series here for more info as to what to expect in terms of output/runtime across the versions.

The Rexlights actually worked quite well on 14500. For the original 2.0, all relative levels are maintained on 14500, but output increases ~25% or so. Should give your old light a bit of extra life. ;)

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
What a surprise to see this one mentioned. I've still got one kicking around somewhere. It was pretty nice at that time. I think it was my second Cree light.

Geoff

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my Rexlight 2.1 output on high is the same with a NiMH, NiZN 1.6V, or the 14505 3V. With a 14500 3.7V though it doubles according to my lightbox. My 2.1 is the replacement module.

roverjohn

Newly Enlightened
So the general consenses is that 3.7 volts is OK with the first batch of 2.0's? I'd really hate to blow this up as it does not appear that the 2.1 modules are available any more.

I just reread the first few pages of the original Rexlight thread and it's kind of funny how excited we all got about this light. I kind of miss the days when any post mentioning a Cree light would get followed by three posts from people shouting "CREE! CREE! CREE!".

Hanza, Thatnks for that link. I wonder who will be the first to make a hot wire version of a 3xAA M@G or stuff 15 of them into a 5xD light?

Last edited: