TK60 or TK70

bobkat

Newly Enlightened
I like the TK60 ... looks like it is workable to carry in times when I would like a nice defensive tool .. I would think 800 lumens is enough to blind someone and give time to run or if needed it looks like a nice hefty unit.

The TK70 looks like the head on it is quite a bit bigger? Do you think that will make it more cumbersome to carry around? Do I really need 2k plus of lumens ( want yes.. need not sure )
Plus the price is way to high on the TK70

Where is a good place to buy rechargable NiMh d cells? I got some EverReady but they are only an aa in a D package.

Last edited:

purelite

Enlightened
BatteryJunction has a decent charger/d cell battery combo that wont break the bank. Tenergys arent the best but they are ok and more affordable. The charger does ok also . I would go with another dealer for the TK60 though. Theirs seem to all have a coating of dust on the reflector and the tint is pretty green on all levels but high. The Tk60 throws like a son of a gun and output is pretty impressive. Its a big heavy light using all 4 cells . I cant imagine carryng that Tk70 around but it is awesome to look at. A real beast!!

celler

Newly Enlightened
Of course, the obvious answer is both, if funds allow. The TK60 appears to be a more practical, everyday or car light. On the other hand, the TK70 would appear to fill the niche of people that want an Olight SR-90 class light at about half the price.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the TK60 looks like a more balanced shape with the head size... The TK70 looks a little bit disproportionate. But, having said that, I've decided to wait a Month or so and then get the TK70... because for me, I already have an 800 lumen light (TK35) and I can't pass up the idea of having the equal brightest LED production light out there. I was coveting the SR90, but the TK70 is more affordable, and I'm a fan of Fenix lights. But for security or police work, I reckon the TK60 is a winner!

bobkat

Newly Enlightened
TK60 says it can run on three? so do they have a section of the tube that unscrews to do this?
I am thinking with three batteries it would be a good car or camping light (car tent camping) protection light sort of like my three D maglight but with some decent light hehe

That 2200 lumens sounds so tempting... all that POWER :devil:
I may wait on that a few months though.. money is a little tight now, but the tk60 is within range

Rocketman

Enlightened
The TK60 for sure. The TK70 is not for general use at all, it's a monster. Make sure, though, you buy from a dealer who will give a refund or exchange if your TK60 has issues such as those some have posted.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
...do they have a section of the tube that unscrews to do this?
That's right. See their picture:
20116211514687.jpg

celler

Newly Enlightened
The TK60 for sure. The TK70 is not for general use at all, it's a monster. Make sure, though, you buy from a dealer who will give a refund or exchange if your TK60 has issues such as those some have posted.

What issues? I have not heard of any problems with the TK60.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think some people have disliked the tint. And if I remember correctly, someone may have also had dust underneath the lens (or was that with the TK41?). But others have received great lights.

Edit: Looks like I'm a little (or a lot) late!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If TK60 provides the same maximum output with 3 NiMh cells and the only difference is 25% shorter runtime it would be my choice in this case. Then it also would be significantly more lightweight and practical when one doesn't want to carry around a monster like TK70.
But of course: I find both TK60 and TK70 very attractive lights!

Rocketman

Enlightened
I think some people have disliked the tint. And if I remember correctly, someone may have also had dust underneath the lens (or was that with the TK41?). But others have received great lights.

Edit: Looks like I'm a little (or a lot) late!

If you think about it, this is probably a problem in the assembly plant and I would expect many lights to have these issues including the switch problems that others have remarked on.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that would make sense. Hopefully Fenix gets these issues sorted out soon.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone who have measured how TK70 performs at 930lm mode with alkalines? Also I am interested about the performance with TK60 using 3 NiMh cells. Same brightness but ~25% shorter runtime?

DrewK

Newly Enlightened
Also I am interested about the performance with TK60 using 3 NiMh cells. Same brightness but ~25% shorter runtime?

I did a runtime test on a TK60 with three 10+ year old 8000 mAh cells (noname green). To my surprise it did not step down from turbo to high. The brightness level was equal to high after 3.6 hours.

The color on mine has some green and magenta outside the hotspot if you look for it. Since these are opposite colors, perhaps it is caused by diffraction? Also the flashlight came with straight deep scratches on the inside of the battery tube, running the full length. Nevertheless I like it with three D cells.

Does anyone know if no stepdown from turbo to high normal behavior?

CyberCT

Enlightened
Hmm I thought I read in another thread that the TK60 won't do turbo mode with 3 batteries. But this is good to hear, maybe that other person had crappy NIMHs or something. Can another TK60 owner confirm they also have turbo mode with 3 D batteries instead of 4? What batteries is everyone using? I just bought the Tenergy 10100 model 10,000 mah D cells.

357mag1

Enlightened
Unlike what one person stated above the Tenergy D cells have proven to be the best on the market after extensive testing. I would also avoid Battery Junction. All-battery.com seems to have a great supply of Tenergy with the latest cells. In my mind the Tenergy Premiums are the way to go.

The TK60 will definitely go into Turbo with three cells. In fact other than a little testing I never run it with four cells. Here are the tailcap current readings with 3 and 4 cells.

3 Cells
Low 26ma
Med 224ma
Hi 838ma
Turbo 2800ma

4 Cells
Low 21ma
Med 173ma
Hi 626ma
Turbo 2112ma

So using quality 10,000mah cells like the Tenergy Premiums you should get around 3.6 hours of Turbo on 3 cells and 4.7 using 4.