Dual Switches

ccf

Newly Enlightened
It seems to me, the novice torch person I am, that dual switches (side/rear) would be the cat's ***. Why don't we see more companies make more models?

I know it's not imperative to have dual switches for most EDC applications, but does anybody make a dual-switched EDC? Even a 2-cell (AAA/AA) would be ok if it was slim enough. Then again, maybe a 2-celler is a must with dual switches just for physics reasons (having enough room for 2 switches being one of them).

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't see myself getting a dual switch light, but apparently they are popular with police and similar occupations.

Pelican's famous LA Police light has dual switches IIRC.

Streamlight makes a few models, such as the Stinger LED DS (for Dual Switch).

If I were buying a Stinger LED, I'd get the regular model with just the side switch and save myself a few bucks and a little bit of overall length.

If I were a policeman, then maybe I might want the Stinger LED DS model.

Probably other companies make dual switch lights, but I can't think of any at the moment.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I have a bunch of tail clickies, but i much prefer the side clicky. Its just where my thumb is when i hold a flashlight.. so the spark sl series are just awesome. Neutral xml lights with dual switches... who could ask for anything more... well id like a bigger light. The upcoming eagletac prototype renderings look like they have side clickies.. can anybody confirm that?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several lights with dual switches on my desk right now. They tend to be a bit larger though, and are designed for professional use rather than for enthusiasts (all are about 200 lumens and rechargeable systems).

http://www.led-resource.com/2011/02/rechargeable-led-flashlight-reviews-and-comparison/

Pelican 7060, Streamlight Stinger DS LED/LED HP, Streamlight PolyStinger DS LED, 5.11 Tactical PC3.300. Out of all the lights I've used, I like Streamlight's switches the best (soft and momentary-capable electronic), so my recommendation would be for a Stinger or PolyStinger.

balloonshark

Newly Enlightened
If you looking for a budget light look into the ITP Eluma SA1 (one AA) and Eluma SA2 (two AA) models. They make both a XP-E and XP-G version. If your into lithiums they also make SC1 and SC2 versions.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
If you looking for a budget light look into the ITP Eluma SA1 (one AA) and Eluma SA2 (two AA) models. They make both a XP-E and XP-G version. If your into lithiums they also make SC1 and SC2 versions.

Hey, that Eluma SA1 looks great! Is that clip reversible for head down carry? If so I'm going to order one right now..

ccf

Newly Enlightened
Great suggestions, guys. One thing about the ITP is I prefer both switches have full function. To me, having separate functions kinda defeats the purpose, but maybe I'm missing something. If not for that, I'd likely be all over the SA1.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Great suggestions, guys. One thing about the ITP is I prefer both switches have full function. To me, having separate functions kinda defeats the purpose, but maybe I'm missing something. If not for that, I'd likely be all over the SA1.

I didn't notice that about the ITP, maybe a deal breaker for me too... Can the side switch turn the light on and off and change modes?

ccf

Newly Enlightened
I didn't notice that about the ITP, maybe a deal breaker for me too... Can the side switch turn the light on and off and change modes?

You might doublecheck, but I believe the tailcap switch does the on/off.

balloonshark

Newly Enlightened

jeffr5

Newly Enlightened
i was looking at getting a stinger ds and am glad i got to use a light with a side switch. i was working security and everytime i put my light in the holster the side button would tunr on the light, it looked like i was lost so im sticking with my tail switches.