Surefire adonizing :)

Is there any consistency LOL ANyway I have a 6P usa and bought a spare talicap and it is still red but a COMPLETELY different shade than the one that came on the light.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire is quite notorious for mismatched anodizing. Most people don't seem to mind, and surefire is more concerned with making a product that is solid and reliable, mismatching anodizing doesn't affect the performance of the product so surefire doesn't make it a priority to make matching parts. You will see much more mismatching parts with lights that feature type III anodizing than lights with type II. Almost all surefire parts I have in type II anodizing match pretty darn well, whereas my type III anodized parts are all over the place in color.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire is quite notorious for mismatched anodizing. Most people don't seem to mind, and surefire is more concerned with making a product that is solid and reliable, mismatching anodizing doesn't affect the performance of the product so surefire doesn't make it a priority to make matching parts. You will see much more mismatching parts with lights that feature type III anodizing than lights with type II. Almost all surefire parts I have in type II anodizing match pretty darn well, whereas my type III anodized parts are all over the place in color.

What he said... I've handled many HA Surefires and you can consider yourself extremely lucky if you get a consistently anodized specimen... I've noticed that the trend lately has been darker bodies and lighter bezels/tailcaps... I'm not sure how long that's been going on, but it has been since at least 2007. Try not to think about it too hard and you'll be happier.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's not really that SF doesn't try...the art of HA makes all pieces turn out differently...so, they may anodize 50 bezels in the same batch, and all 50 will have a different appearance, depending how the bezel reacts to the solution. The could sit there all day, trying to match piecs, but even then it won't be a perfect match...just maybe a better one.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire is quite notorious for mismatched anodizing.
Final color of hard anodizing depends on many different factors including alloy of aluminum.
It is not practical to make all aluminum parts of body, tail cap and bezel of same flashlight from one aluminum bar. Also no guarantee that two different bars of *
NOMINALLY SAME MATERIAL* have exact same alloy. Dye anodizing such as black color is easier to match but netural *NO DYE ADDED* are almost impossible without adding cost.