question about upgrading surefire g2l ?

a4d

Enlightened
Hey all I just bought my first surefire . I finally broke down since they're all on sale because they are discontinued . Anyway I've used the search function found some useful information but let's say I stink at using the search. So I'm sorry if this has been asked about 3 million times but here it goes. I want to turn this g2l into a little pocket rocket but also want to be able to switch back to runtime when need be. So what setup do you recommend for a pocket rocket so I can switch back to stock easily or eventually another setup for runtime but for now id like a rocket setup that can quickly be returned to stock . Thank you guys/ gals .

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turning a g2l into a pocket rocket is kind of hard. You can physically stuff something like a triple xp-g or an xm-l drop-in into it, but you'll be limited to using either a 17670 or rcr123s which give terrible runtime with something that powerful. But more importantly, the heat can't be dissapated fast enough using just the bezel, since the body is nitrolon which is a very poor heat conductor. You'll kill the led very quickly. Realistically, I would say the most you can go would be a single xp-g dropin with multilevel modes with high used in moderate bursts. That way you can still get a good amount of lumens (300+) for short periods and also get longevity and battery life with the lower modes.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is yours the new G2L with the sealed KX4 bezel or an older one with an aluminum bezel that can take a drop in? If you have an older model with an aluminum bezel that can accept a drop in take a look at the Malkoff M61, it puts out a legit 260 lumens out the front. To be honest the G2 isn't the best host in the world when doing an LED conversion, but it is workable.

a4d

Enlightened
This one is the aluminum head . Alright ill take a look at that thank you. Ya I just picked it up at lowes I was there to get something for work and saw they still had a da and said what the heck why not .

Latest posts